+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CARDIFF CITY TRAINING SESSION

Re: CARDIFF CITY TRAINING SESSION

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He's said he'll find a style to suit the players he's got. I wonder how fans will react to that and whether Harris would have got away with saying the same thing rather than haphazardly trying to develop our play? It always seems easier to go back-to-basics rather than developing a more progressive style, especially if money is tight and lack of youngsters ready to step up.

I've seen nothing/heard nothing so far to suggest Mick will be here longer term, but I also like him as a person and am happy (so far) that we'll be adding out name to the list of clubs he's managed.
    He's also said he's not really sure what to do with the players at his disposal, as we can all tell the players don't really work together. I hope he addresses the midfield and Morrison's partner (although MM could pick Nelson up and improve his game).

Arm around Wilson isn't a shock, he'll know he needs to get the most out of him, Moore and Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I hope it means he's going to try to properly employ the wide men and stretch the play across the width of the pitch a good bit more often. City have Hoilett, Wilson, Ojo and Murphy in the ranks, and they're all capable players at this level, but front men very rarely seem to get decent service from wide positions. I'm sure McCarthy will be looking to address that.
    Agree with that, with big Kieff up front and the wingers we have available it baffles me we don't get more balls into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's also said he's not really sure what to do with the players at his disposal, as we can all tell the players don't really work together. I hope he addresses the midfield and Morrison's partner (although MM could pick Nelson up and improve his game).

Arm around Wilson isn't a shock, he'll know he needs to get the most out of him, Moore and Morrison.
    Plenty have highlighted the issue in midfield but, as far as I can tell, no one has any answers about what to do with Ralls, Pack, Bacuna and Vaulks until their contracts run out. By omission of other suggestions, it seems most are happy for them to be sitting in the stands but I can't see that being a goer with those managing an ever tightening budget.

I am happy to be proved wrong though especially if Pack develops capacity to play 90 minutes alongside one of the other three, who all do a similar job, which would improve things massively.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Unless we sign a ball-playing midfielder before the transfer window closes, I don't think he has much choice other than to play 4-4-2 until Tomlin is available. It's the only formation that has worked for us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    That was a good watch. Have we recalled Ciaron Brown as there was a ponytailed centreback playing
    Good shout. We were going to pay £750K for a Bournemouth reserve and Brown is having a storming season at Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Plenty have highlighted the issue in midfield but, as far as I can tell, no one has any answers about what to do with Ralls, Pack, Bacuna and Vaulks until their contracts run out. By omission of other suggestions, it seems most are happy for them to be sitting in the stands but I can't see that being a goer with those managing an ever tightening budget.

I am happy to be proved wrong though especially if Pack develops capacity to play 90 minutes alongside one of the other three, who all do a similar job, which would improve things massively.
    I think you can move one or two of them off or even on loan. I don't think they're necessarily all bad players but they're very similar (with the exception of Pack, but even he is so slow in possession). I haven't got a clue what to do but I can't imagine that nobody wants them, we moved on Gavin Whyte so we should be able to move on Vaulks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Unless we sign a ball-playing midfielder before the transfer window closes, I don't think he has much choice other than to play 4-4-2 until Tomlin is available. It's the only formation that has worked for us this season.
    I think we will play 442 if Watters is any good. He's been signed to play alongside Moore. The only other thing would be to play 3-5-2 (or some variant) but we'd need wing backs and a way to use our wingers better so I think that's a bit of a non starter.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    150% agree, although I'm not confident that he'll get the best out of Josh. Not the first very good manager to try and he might just be one of those players who never fully translates his undoubted top quality into consistent performances.
    Hope I'm wrong on that of course because I really like the boy and want him to suceed. I was wrong about Lee Tomlin, but then he's another one who might rub MM up the wrong way.
    Just out of interest, what is that you "really like" about Josh Murphy?
    If you had said you 'liked' him, I would still have questioned what it is that makes you feel that way about him. However, you qualified it by adding "really".
    Personally, I find it difficult to 'really like' someone who doesn't apply themselves to their profession in the right manner.

There again, perhaps you've met him socially and he comes across as, well... a really likeable person?

[QUOTE=sneggyblubird;5160433]Brilliant.see our midfielders can pass it forward but the best bit was McCarthy said "If you wanna be in my team thats what you gotta do"or words to that effect.

Gave me a lift watching that.

Me too

...and there is not such thing as 150% - maximum is 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    If you had said you 'liked' him, I would still have questioned what it is that makes you feel that way about him. However, you qualified it by adding "really".
    Personally, I find it difficult to 'really like' someone who doesn't apply themselves to their profession in the right manner.

There again, perhaps you've met him socially and he comes across as, well... a really likeable person?
    Agree with you on his output but he does have all the potential.

He has a light touch, great acceleration and he does pick out a great pass now and again. If you write only his physical attributes down on paper probably the best at the club.

I have a massive issue with how he’s been played and a massive issue with his attitude but I got a strong feeling it’s mainly confidence.

What he tends to do is try too much get it wrong and give up. Crowd gets on his back and he does even worse. When things go bad he’s the first to shit out.

I don’t know what is going through his head but if he could pull himself together he could be playing in the premier league. But that’s the same with so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

No, I've never spoken to Josh but I certainly have spoken to others who have when he was at Norwich ,( where he had similar problems with inconsistency ). His reputation was definitely as a very nice kid since you mention it, so perhaps that coloured my description, even though I wasn't consciously referring back to that.
    Another thing which occurs to me in answering your question is an incident which many might remember when a small kid , apparently separated from dad in the crowd was running round screaming and upset. Josh ran over there , picked the kid up and placated him by taking his shirt off and handing it to the child before restoring him to his dad. Well of course that says something, but again I wasn't thinking of that in my earlier comment.

No, what I meant was that I consider him one of the most naturally talented young players around with the potential to reach the highest level and actually referring back to his Norwich days, I'm told that application certainly isn't the problem, but more one of concentration lapses and what we might call a lack of " killer instinct" ,( to put it a bit strongly I suppose).

This happens a lot with immensely talented kids and often they never manage to tune into what will change them from a schoolyard Pele into a reliable and consistent professional. People wrongly think they're not working hard enough when the problem is something different altogether and you just desperately want them to break through the invisible ropes holding them back.

I'm hoping that MM might be able to push the right buttons because Sir Neil did to some extent at first. Both are the real deal in terms of management as opposed to airy fairy types, but that's a two edged sword - They'll have a better than average chance of motivating a player, but they'll have limited patience and they won't bugger about too much trying to play head games with a player if he's slow to respond .

- sorry if I rambled...

He's a no nonsense honest manager ,yes old skool , however as Warnock proved anything is possible with a basic squad , togethernes and desire to win is critical buy quite basic .

The barrier for us and always has been is the next step after the improvement.

No, I've never spoken to Josh but I certainly have spoken to others who have when he was at Norwich ,( where he had similar problems with inconsistency ). His reputation was definitely as a very nice kid since you mention it, so perhaps that coloured my description, even though I wasn't consciously referring back to that.
    Another thing which occurs to me in answering your question is an incident which many might remember when a small kid , apparently separated from dad in the crowd was running round screaming and upset. Josh ran over there , picked the kid up and placated him by taking his shirt off and handing it to the child before restoring him to his dad. Well of course that says something, but again I wasn't thinking of that in my earlier comment.

No, what I meant was that I consider him one of the most naturally talented young players around with the potential to reach the highest level and actually referring back to his Norwich days, I'm told that application certainly isn't the problem, but more one of concentration lapses and what we might call a lack of " killer instinct" ,( to put it a bit strongly I suppose).

This happens a lot with immensely talented kids and often they never manage to tune into what will change them from a schoolyard Pele into a reliable and consistent professional. People wrongly think they're not working hard enough when the problem is something different altogether and you just desperately want them to break through the invisible ropes holding them back.

I'm hoping that MM might be able to push the right buttons because Sir Neil did to some extent at first. Both are the real deal in terms of management as opposed to airy fairy types, but that's a two edged sword - They'll have a better than average chance of motivating a player, but they'll have limited patience and they won't bugger about too much trying to play head games with a player if he's slow to respond .

- sorry if I rambled...
    Intresting forgot about the shirt thing nice unplanned gesture .

I've not been his biggest fan due to the way he can appear disinterested or distant , seems to not want to be involved or hunt the ball down if it's not going his way , as you say Mick is his latest Mr motivator in his career and we now await the outputs with anticipation, I'm think he maybe in the first 11 Mick picks though and rightly so based on his skills.

- sorry if I rambled...
    No need to apologise, it was a well constructed reply.

I'm replying via my phone, therefore, I don't know how to include a 'thumbs-up' smiley.

- sorry if I rambled...
    If what you say about Josh Murphy is true (it sounds right to me based on one or two things I've heard as well), then what Neil Warnock did to him with that Fulham game sounds like rank bad man management to me. You're right that Murphy started his City career well (credit to Warnock for that) , but his form had fallen away somewhat in the weeks and months before that very important match at Craven Cottage and so leaving him out of the starting eleven didn't surprise me - leaving him out of the squad completely and having a go at the player in public certainly did though (given the sort of character you believe Murphy is, does that strike you as a sensible way of handling him?).

Whether Murphy has the ability to be a regular Premier League starter is open to debate, but he should be a top performer at this level and yet since we got relegated, or to be more precise, since he was left out at Fulham, he has been on the periphery of things here while giving the impression, to me at least, that he would rather be somewhere else. Until the change of manager, I was of the opinion that it would be best for all concerned if he left City, but I was also aware that, with the sort of contract he's probably on, that would be easier said than done. I hope Mick McCarthy's appointment will signify a fresh start for Murphy when, hopefully, some of the damage Warnock did can be put right.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That was just a ruse. We're going to continue to fool them by not doing either of those things.
    Fixed