+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truly Big Football Clubs In English Football

Truly Big Football Clubs In English Football

I think since I was born the big boys are .......

United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Spurs

The gulf since the greedy league began is bigger than ever

Man City have crept in there now but are not as big clubs as united and the whingers

I remember the days of Ipswich troubling the top guns , Sunderland winning the fa Cup, Coventry, Leeds in the mid seventies , Forest under Clough

But that top five is it for me

Villa have potential but never do much , Everton had their place in the sun in the mid 80s but have failed to trouble the big five

Clubs with big support but they never do anything are Newcastle, Sunderland , Sheffield Wednesday , Sheffield United , Pompey , Derby , Forest , West Brom

The rest is much of a muchness ......Palace, Norwich etc

Its great to see teams like Watford , Burnley pulling up trees

As for us we have the potential but its never been realised , I put us with that lot up the road and in truth over the last ten years they have got the form

Birmingham City have a lot of potential and have spent longer in the top flight than us but never get anywhere

Preston , Huddersfield, Blackpool, big names from the past but in the shadows now

Re: Truly Big Football Clubs In English Football

All things being equal we are a bigger club than the Jacks.

Bigger stadium that we own, more fans, bigger fanbase, more honours historically.

In my view the Jacks have punched above their weight and have been well run in recent times. I don't think we will fulfill our potential until we can get the running of the club right.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    All things being equal we are a bigger club than the Jacks.

Bigger stadium that we own, more fans, bigger fanbase, more honours historically.

In my view the Jacks have punched above their weight and have been well run in recent times. I don't think we will fulfill our potential until we can get the running of the club right.
    I would love to see us sticking it to the big boys

Never seen Chelsea as that big, recall them having 12,13000 crowds not that long ago....a rich owner might have changed that but still not historically big....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Never seen Chelsea as that big, recall them having 12,13000 crowds not that long ago....a rich owner might have changed that but still not historically big....
    Newcastle , Chelsea etc had periods in the eighties when we played them in the old second division when gates were low

14500 at Newcastle, 15000 at Chelsea but we were in the same division and getting 6000

Of course times have changed but Chelsea have always been one of footballs big boys

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    1907/08
    1911/12
    1912/13
    1913/14
    1919/20
    1921/22
    1923/24
    1925/26
    1954/55

The above are seasons in which Chelsea have had the highest average attendance of any club in the English pyramid. In a couple of those seasons they were in the second division, but still got the biggest crowds in the country.

Throughout the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1950's, they were almost always in the top five best-supported clubs in the country, and in the 1960's and 1970's they were rarely out of the top ten. The 1980's and 1990's were the decades in which they were poorly supported by their standards, but even then they were in the top ten on several occasions.

In historical terms, Chelsea are very definitely one of England's biggest football clubs.

Anyone who thinks WBA and Forest have big support but fails to mention West ham need to think about their football knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think since I was born the big boys are .......

United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Spurs

The gulf since the greedy league began is bigger than ever

Man City have crept in there now but are not as big clubs as united and the whingers

I remember the days of Ipswich troubling the top guns , Sunderland winning the fa Cup, Coventry, Leeds in the mid seventies , Forest under Clough

But that top five is it for me

Villa have potential but never do much , Everton had their place in the sun in the mid 80s but have failed to trouble the big five

Clubs with big support but they never do anything are Newcastle, Sunderland , Sheffield Wednesday , Sheffield United , Pompey , Derby , Forest , West Brom

The rest is much of a muchness ......Palace, Norwich etc

Its great to see teams like Watford , Burnley pulling up trees

As for us we have the potential but its never been realised , I put us with that lot up the road and in truth over the last ten years they have got the form

Birmingham City have a lot of potential and have spent longer in the top flight than us but never get anywhere

Preston , Huddersfield, Blackpool, big names from the past but in the shadows now
    What about Leicester Sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Anyone who thinks WBA and Forest have big support but fails to mention West ham need to think about their football knowledge
    well forest and west Brom have either been yo yo clubs , West Brom......or in forests case out of the top flight for 20 years ?

West Ham have always been top flight or top of second tier down and since premiership days have been an almost permanent fixture in the top flight

If West ham spent as long away from the top flight as forest have recently would they be getting more than around 20000 fans ? Sure , but not much more

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What about Leicester Sludge?
    They have been a top flight or second tier club for as long as I can remember , they are not a club of Newcastle or Sunderlands size in terms of support

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    They have been a top flight or second tier club for as long as I can remember , they are not a club of Newcastle or Sunderlands size in terms of support
    It was just you didn’t mention them in your OP. I find it hard to classify them - they’ve won a title, are right in contention this season and should have finished in the top four last season - they’re not one of the big six, but they’ve probably been one of the best five sides in the Premier League in the last five years or so.

Chelsea were similar to us as a club until the Russian bought them early 2000 ish was it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was just you didn’t mention them in your OP. I find it hard to classify them - they’ve won a title, are right in contention this season and should have finished in the top four last season - they’re not one of the big six, but they’ve probably been one of the best five sides in the Premier League in the last five years or so.
    I have missed out lots , the mind plays tricks

Bolton used to be a big club , Stoke

Would be great if Leicester won the league again , anyone but Liverpool, United, arsenal , spurs or Chelsea is fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Chelsea were similar to us as a club until the Russian bought them early 2000 ish was it?
    Chelsea in my opinion , although I can't stand them , are one of English footballs biggest clubs

Late seventies and eighties were bad years which is why we ended up facing them but they are a big club

Spurs are bigger , as are Arsenal

But the top two are the scouse gits and the red mancs

No, they were not. They had some lean times in the 80s but they've always been a bigger club than us. In fact, they were already re-established as one of the biggest and best clubs in the PL before Abramovich arrived.

Closet Chelsea fan here????????

Chelsea won half a dozen trophies before the 2000's hardly a big club so to speak.
    Remember when Abramovich bought Chelsea everyone was saying what's he buying Chelsea for...........

Closet Chelsea fan here????????
    One of my least favorite teams. Their fans are wankers.

But I'm old enough to remember Chelsea before Abramovich. Their stadium was fully developed and they were qualifying for Europe.

We were still in the 3rd Division. And we still played at NP where you had to piss in the open air.

Big clubs are usually based on their fan base / size of their ground these days with fans living all over the world contributing to corporate greed of today's football.

Before money spoilt football clubs like Everton were/are a bigger club than Chelsea, just not as fashionable as them or not a London club.

Big clubs are usually based on their fan base / size of their ground these days with fans living all over the world contributing to corporate greed of today's football.

Before money spoilt football clubs like Everton were/are a bigger club than Chelsea, just not as fashionable as them or not a London club.
    What have Everton got to do with Chelsea supposedly being similar in stature to Cardiff prior to 2003?

Did you start watching football in the 1980s by any chance?

Chelsea won half a dozen trophies before the 2000's hardly a big club so to speak.
    Remember when Abramovich bought Chelsea everyone was saying what's he buying Chelsea for...........
    ...money laundering.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What have Everton got to do with Chelsea supposedly being similar in stature to Cardiff prior to 2003?

Did you start watching football in the 1980s by any chance?
    I'm talking about the number of trophies clubs have won to make them big clubs ....
    Wolves, Forest, Blackburn were all big clubs back in the day

And when does it matter when you started watching football?
    History is History....... .........
    And for your piece of mind it was 70's

There's only 2 big clubs..............
    Man utd & Liverpool thats why half of Wales support them 🙄🙃

I'm talking about the number of trophies clubs have won to make them big clubs ....
    Wolves, Forest, Blackburn were all big clubs back in the day
    So Wimbledon, having won an FA cup will be bigger than Crystal Palace who have never won anything?