+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Down to earth with Mick McCarthy

Down to earth with Mick McCarthy

See next post.

Re: Down to earth with Mick McCarthy

I was interested to hear what he had to say about his teams' changeable playing styles as to be honest I can't really recall any of his sides having a clearly-defined pattern other than being hard-working.

I've always liked Mick McCarthy. Whether he's the right manager for Cardiff City at this point in time is debatable and whether he's the right man to bring about any of the much-needed changes to the way the club operates in the long term is also open to question, but I do like him as an individual. He has a reputation of being dour, but I've always thought that's unfair as he seems to me to have a really good sense of humour.

Although Neil Harris seemed to be a decent-enough fella who was doing his best, I felt he was a bit hard to like. Can't really explain that, but I know my father and several City-supporting friends felt exactly the same. Harris never seemed like a good fit for Cardiff City, even when the team was winning games. I think Mick McCarthy will find it a lot easier to get the fans on his side.

One memory I have of him was when his Wolves side was stuffed 4-0 by City at Ninian Park early in the 2006/07 season. City were flying at the time and Wolves had a man sent off early on - I'm sure it was Gary Breen for elbowing Steve Thompson. It was pretty soft and I think I'm right in saying that even Thompson asked the ref not to send Breen off, so McCarthy had every right to feel aggrieved. Nevertheless, at the final whistle I noticed he stayed on the side of the pitch and shook hands with almost every City player as they went off. That was a decent gesture under the circumstances and it stuck with me.

I've always liked Mick McCarthy. Whether he's the right manager for Cardiff City at this point in time is debatable and whether he's the right man to bring about any of the much-needed changes to the way the club operates in the long term is also open to question, but I do like him as an individual. He has a reputation of being dour, but I've always thought that's unfair as he seems to me to have a really good sense of humour.
    This sums him up my feelings on him exactly

He has a bit of a boring monotonic voice which probably doesn't help the perception of him being dour but I too like the guy.
    He has always seemed very sincere.

Without knowing all the facts and looking from the outside with the media reports, the incident with Roy Keane.
    At the time I felt really quite sorry for him.
    That said, to let one of your best players walk out on you in such circumstances seemed a huge error of judgement and no matter who did what, or who said what to whom, I'm sure it was a man management experience he'll have learnt from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Warnock was entertaining, but much too often based around 'ME ME ME'. Mick is entertaining with a bit of humility.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    He has a bit of a boring monotonic voice which probably doesn't help the perception of him being dour but I too like the guy.
    He has always seemed very sincere.

Without knowing all the facts and looking from the outside with the media reports, the incident with Roy Keane.
    At the time I felt really quite sorry for him.
    That said, to let one of your best players walk out on you in such circumstances seemed a huge error of judgement and no matter who did what, or who said what to whom, I'm sure it was a man management experience he'll have learnt from.
    I can't be bothered looking back into it, but at the time I thought that Keane just had a problem with McCarthy and used his frustration at the FAI to have a dig at him. For an international captain to have a go at the manager in front of the whole squad during the build up to a major tournament is selfish, petulant, unprofessional and reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Warnock was entertaining, but much too often based around 'ME ME ME'. Mick is entertaining with a bit of humility.
    I agree. He's definitely a nicer bloke than Warnock. McCarthy seems genuinely down-to-earth. Warnock's version of down-to-earth just means he says what he wants. And his version of "calling a spade a spade" means that he will openly complain about anything that goes against his narrative.

https://youtu.be/Vo5qX1Yr-hQ

I'll love Mick McCarthy for this moment alone. If he gets us winning football matches then ever better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Although Neil Harris seemed to be a decent-enough fella who was doing his best, I felt he was a bit hard to like. Can't really explain that, but I know my father and several City-supporting friends felt exactly the same. Harris never seemed like a good fit for Cardiff City, even when the team was winning games. I think Mick McCarthy will find it a lot easier to get the fans on his side.
    Harris seemed a nice enough bloke and I'm sure he was very knowledgeable but he came across as someone who could fit you some new windows at a reasonable price, which is probably not what you want from a football manager. McCarthy has that much more authority.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can't be bothered looking back into it, but at the time I thought that Keane just had a problem with McCarthy and used his frustration at the FAI to have a dig at him. For an international captain to have a go at the manager in front of the whole squad during the build up to a major tournament is selfish, petulant, unprofessional and reprehensible.
    Keane , complete wanker over that incident

I like meat and potatoes football if its going to win us games

Its going to be basic but for now , get stuck in and work hard 💪

He disliked Thatcher, that will do for me.