FT: BARNSLEY 2 - 2 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Wednesday 27th January. ko 7:00pm

Match Officials:

Referee: ANDY WOOLMER
    Assistants: Sam Lewis and George Byrne
    Fourth Official : David Webb

Re: BARNSLEY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Tough one this.

Especially after their win at home against Norwich in the cup.

I think a point would be a good return and to get off the mark under the new manager.

Thought Mr Woolmer had reffed us more, but only one game this season, a 3-2 defeat at QPR and one game last season, a 2-0 home win against Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thought Mr Woolmer had reffed us more, but only one game this season, a 3-2 defeat at QPR and one game last season, a 2-0 home win against Weeds
    Think he's been 4th official a couple of times as well, that's why his name rings a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Think he's been 4th official a couple of times as well, that's why his name rings a bell.
    His name just sticks with me, I'm certain he's had a stinker against us sometime in the past and I mean a real stinker.

His name just sticks with me, I'm certain he's had a stinker against us sometime in the past and I mean a real stinker.
    Dont jinx it BT. We need something out of the game.

was he the 3-3 at luton referee back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    If it's this one, you've got a bloody good memory.

https://youtu.be/j4vvC3ucNPE

Thank you "BOSS"

I knew he had one of those games.

Woolmer was dreadful that day, great comeback inspired by Jason Koumas who was brought down in the penalty area after an amazing run in the last minute. Woolmer just stood there and laughed.

After the final whistle the whole team surrounded him and I'm sure the fans would have joined him if it wasnt for the fence in the away end. There is a photo online.

He also got Warnock sent off a couple of years back when he was 4th official.

Anyone know if this ones on Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    Anyone know if this ones on Sky?
    Not on Sky.
    I'll be watching via Cardiff city TV

We have a good record v the Tykes. With the new manager bounce I expect a draw but hope for a win. Barnsley are a decent outfit.
    2-3 City win.

Sky Sports prediction:

"While Barnsley have progressed to the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time since the 2012/13 season and kept two clean sheets in the process, it's been quite the opposite in the Championship, where they've not scored in three games," says David Prutton to Sky Sports.

"Their fourth-round win did come against league leaders Norwich, though, so there's certainly something to build on.

"There's a new man at the helm at Cardiff! It's great to see Mick McCarthy back in the Championship for the first time since leaving Ipswich in 2018. He's got work to do to turn around the fortunes of a Bluebirds side on a run of six league defeats in seven, but I'm sure it's a task he'll relish. This feels like it could end all square."

Prutton predicts: Barnsley 2-2 Cardiff City

0-0. Listening to Big Mick we are going to be building from the back and first job is to stop the losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    0-0. Listening to Big Mick we are going to be building from the back and first job is to stop the losing streak.
    Exactly what needs to happen.
    Warnock when he first arrived did the same. No nonsense stuff at the back, av it!

It'll take him 2 or 3 games before he can see who can do what and what their limitations are.
    I do expect an immediate improvement on this past few months though, even if it's just tight defending and closing down.

Right now I'd probably take a nil nil just to stop the rot but hopeful of a win.
    I'll go for 0-1 to Mick McCarthy's barmy army!

Yes, I'm more than happy with a no score draw too.
    Oakwell is looking tired. The seats are a shade of 'Vauxhall Astra Red'.

Well that's quite the feckin surprise

Flint and Bagan start

Morrison on the bench

Ralls - Captain

Wilson dropped as well

Match facts

• Barnsley have lost their last five league matches against Cardiff City, losing 3-0 earlier this season.
    • Cardiff City have won seven of their last 10 away league matches against Barnsley (D2 L1), keeping a clean sheet in their last three visits to Oakwell.
    • None of Barnsley’s nine home Championship matches under Valérien Ismaël have been drawn – they have won six and lost three since the Frenchman took over at Oakwell.
    • This will be Mick McCarthy’s first game in charge of Cardiff – his last Championship match was also against Barnsley in April 2018 with Ipswich, a 1-0 win. Indeed, Barnsley-born McCarthy is unbeaten in nine Championship meetings with the Tykes (W4 D5).
    • Cardiff striker Kieffer Moore, who netted 21 goals in 51 league appearances for Barnsley between 2017 and 2019, has never scored against the Tykes in the EFL in six previous appearances against his former employers.

Well, I did not see that team coming

Flint and Bagan start

Morrison on the bench
    I thought that Morrison looked unfit against QPR.