+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Football Commentators, The Accused

Re: Football Commentators, The Accused

Tyldesley has got to be the worst ever.
    Completely OTT and would be better suited to radio commentary as he would make the listener think the drab nil nil was a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    There’s more talking on football highlights shows, than there is action.

I record and fast forward
    Me too.
    Lineker, Shearer I simply cannot watch.
    Wright used to be okay but he's being sucked in too.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Do we really need analysts ? Jamie Carragher, Neville spout on before, during and after every game and it's just jibberish. One of the delights of a wet Saturday afternoon when City were away was to sit in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday and enjoy a few middle aged blokes - just like you'd meet at a game - tutting, shaking their heads, having a laugh, a moan. The last thing I want is some smart-arsed bloke or woman explaining the finer points of kicking a bit of leather and plastic around the pitch..
    If an analyst tells me something about a game I hadn’t noticed I’ve got no problem with them and Alex Scott has done that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    There’s more talking on football highlights shows, than there is action.

I record and fast forward
    I do the same with your posts on here.

Just teasing, old fruit

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree completely about Vicki Sparks, I can't listen to her for long, apart from that, the women commentators don't bother me and someone like Alex Scott is a better analyst than most of the men,

As for the men, I've never really got why Martin Tyler is so highly rated, same with Motson - Barry Davies was much better than him. Guy Mowbray's alright and I don't mind Johnathan Pearce when he commentates naturally rather than acting at it like he did in his early days. I think Steve Wilson is the best of the current crop though and although the "part Geordie" sounds like a full Geordie to me, I enjoy listening to John Murray.
    Thinking of Tyler, here's a comparison with Motty for Gerrard's leveller in the 2006 FA Cup final.

I reckon we'd all have different opinions on this and think it's good to have a head to head. My vote goes for Tyler. I prefer the way he lets the crowd paint the picture in the immediate aftermath of the goal. It was a 'wow' moment. It was not only one of the greatest ever FA cup final goals, but in the context of how it happened, it was even more unbelievable. Listening to the crowd for several seconds before a simple "stunning". Not much more to say. Sometimes commentators want to use a load of words to describe an event, where pictures and crowd sound would suffice. Barry Davies was the master at it and Tyler is probably second to him in that. I felt that Motty wanted to ram a load of words over the airwaves and it detracted slightly from the moment.

I'd be very interested in other people's views on this.

I love this commentary, Jimmy magee the Irish commentator for maradonas second vs England.

He only says "Different class. Different class."

But it's how he says it. Phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/JmQOwgYQ4eU

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I love this commentary, Jimmy magee the Irish commentator for maradonas second vs England.

He only says "Different class. Different class."

But it's how he says it. Phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/JmQOwgYQ4eU
    Never heard that before. Yes, superb bit of commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Never heard that before. Yes, superb bit of commentary.
    You can tell he is blown away by what he's watching. It's all he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Feckin hate Alan Green, glad the BBC dropped him. Worst pundit, Pat Nevin, can't understand a word he says, sounds like he permanently pissed
    Alan Green what a tosser

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    River Blackwater runs near Sandhurst on the Berks/Hants border then into the Loddon south of Reading which then joins the Thames east of Reading.

Some Stillwater trout fishing round here but in winter it’s all lure ripping which ain’t my cuppa.

Might have a go spinning for pike on some of the open waters on the Thames.
    imitating prey fish ?

I have done a bit of fly fishing in the past , black and peacock fished just below the surface , on local rivers but too much finesse for me .....like to get out a lure and spin for pike , perch chub or trout on rivers

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hugh John's was great.
    He'd say the score was 1- nothing, rather than 1-nil. If a shot was just wide he'd describe it as being perpendicular.
    Every commentator has their quirks and he had his fair share.
    this is no time for pretty pretty keep ball ......was one of his favourites

Vicki Sparks is absolutely terrible. She sounds like pre pubescent boy doing a cliched impression of a football commentator. I can’t listen to her.

Barry Davies was the best by a country mile. In addition to being an excellent commentator he also knew when to say nothing. 'You sure do miss the silence when it's gone.'

StT.
    <><

One from the past, who remembers Roger Malone ? He used to commentate on most of the west country matches in the 60's and 70's. Used the word "there" after a player's name, especially if they scored. "Chrissie Garland there !" etc. Not a bad commentator but good fun to take the p*ss out of at the time, especially as he was reputedly a Bristol City fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Barry Davies was the best by a country mile. In addition to being an excellent commentator he also knew when to say nothing. 'You sure do miss the silence when it's gone.'

StT.
    <><
    Agree that sometimes less is more, especially on TV.
    I didn't realise at the time, Dan Maskell on tennis was the master at saying just enough.

Having said that, imagine if you were blind or even partially sighted.
    I'd imagine the experience would be much better with a more descriptive commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Vicki Sparks is absolutely terrible. She sounds like pre pubescent boy doing a cliched impression of a football commentator. I can’t listen to her.

That's more or less what I said earlier but I do like the "doing an impression" and "pre-pubescent" bits. That's exactly how I feel about her. She just regurgitates all the utterings she's picked up over the years and delivers them in the most annoying way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    One from the past, who remembers Roger Malone ? He used to commentate on most of the west country matches in the 60's and 70's. Used the word "there" after a player's name, especially if they scored. "Chrissie Garland there !" etc. Not a bad commentator but good fun to take the p*ss out of at the time, especially as he was reputedly a Bristol City fan.
    I remember him, though I thought it was Brian Moore who'd say " right in there" when a cross came in.
    "Patsy Holland" for Pat Holland.

Maybe both?

I hardly ever watch football with the sound on. Not interested in commentary or whatever the pundit has to say. I find that i can follow a game so much better when the TV is on mute.

Martin Tyler is still going strong, and he has written quite a few books too, mainly on Arsenal.
    Barry Davies was the best, I liked Brian Moore, Tony Gubba, Alan Parry, Idwal Robling, Hugh Johns, David Coleman, Gerald Sindtsadt, and Guy Mowbray is Ok.

Couldn't stand John Motson, and now Clive Tyldsley is awful. Heard Vicky Sparks last night, absolutely bloody awful, worse than Jacqui Oatey.

As for summarisers etc, why do they have 10 minutes of a game on Match of The Day and the another 10 minutes analysing it? The show could be over in half the time. Most of them are crap, especially Linekar, Shearer, Jenas, Danny Murphy is terrible. Juts because they played football doesn't mean they can be good tv presenters. Alex Scott is abysmal, she's even on the One Show now! Karen Carney is decent as an 'expert' in the studio. Kelly Cates is excellent though. The BBC have to keep their quota ups though.

I like the commentators and summariser who cover non fashionable clubs and spout out rubbish as if they know about that club, you can pick it up when City are on.

They even have a women's football show now, which is equivalent in excitement to the bowls that is on now, actually the bowls is better.

If City are on tv I turn the sound down and listen to Radiop Wales, at least we can have a laugh at Ratcliffe and Perry!

I mentioned yesterday the woman co-commentator who was slaughtering Kepa for letting Luton's goal in and not said a word about Pulisic's miss.
    Is that Viki Sparks?

She also got right on my nerves when Luton had a chance second half at 2-1 at the striker's saved shot.
    If she said "he should have gone low" once, she said it half a dozen times, every time they showed a replay in fact.

Apart from being very limited in her verbal description, I also thought there are few men who would have been so cutting about the striker's effort, at least offering a bit of balance.

As others have said, I think Alex Best is pretty good in the speaking, as good as many resident men analysts anyway, so it's not a sexism thing going on.

Believe that was Carney for the Chelsea comments.

Karen Carney was terrible as summariser on yesterday's Chelsea Luton cup game.
    There's no inflections in her voice, just a constant drone. After Chelsea's 3rd goal said that it should secure them the 3 points.🙄

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Karen Carney was terrible as summariser on yesterday's Chelsea Luton cup game.
    There's no inflections in her voice, just a constant drone. After Chelsea's 3rd goal said that it should secure them the 3 points.🙄
    Haha I missed that.

Would she have been co-commentator and summariser though?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I remember him, though I thought it was Brian Moore who'd say " right in there" when a cross came in.
    "Patsy Holland" for Pat Holland.

Maybe both?
    Roger Malone just used the word "there" not "right in there". It's mostly the Bristol City player's names I remember him doing this to. "John Galley there" or "Gerry Gow there" and of course "Don Rogers there" when he commentated on Swindon's matches.

Brian Moore was one of the very best. Knowledgeable, excellent speaking voice and a naturally good communicator.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Haha I missed that.

Would she have been co-commentator and summariser though?
    Just a co-commentator yesterday and s bloody awful one at that.