+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football Commentators, The Accused

Football Commentators, The Accused

leading on from another thread I think most of them are crap , as are most of the pundits

Clive Tyldesley has got to be the worst of all time ?

Jimmy Hill , complete idiot

Alan Parry , excited scouse school kid

Tony Gubba , potential but like city never made the big time

That part geordie one on the BBC? Get rid of him

Phil Thompson , money for old rope

Martin Tyler .......don't have SKY , is he still on it ? He was OK

Locally anyone remember Idwal Robling ?

Watching Wales v Scotland at anfield 1977 on TV

Welsh team warming up , Idwal says Welsh centre back looks very much like John Toshack ! Fella on microphone says thats because that is John Toshack Idwal

We have all been there

Re: Football Commentators, The Accused

Hi Sludge. you been fishing lately?

Saw some guys on the River Blackwater the other day which was in flood so they were clearly escaping something rather than trying to catch something which is understandable.

Been seriously considering ripping a Cat's whisker through a trout lake although it's a 20+ mile drive from here.

And yes I remember Idwal Robling.

Take care. TIB

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Hi Sludge. you been fishing lately?

Saw some guys on the River Blackwater the other day which was in flood so they were clearly escaping something rather than trying to catch something which is understandable.

Been seriously considering ripping a Cat's whisker through a trout lake although it's a 20+ mile drive from here.

And yes I remember Idwal Robling.

Take care. TIB
    No its banned mate by the clubs I am in

Wheres the river Blackwater?

If it was a coarse river I would wait till the floods were over and fish in the smaller rivers running off it where the small fish take cover and that's where the pike and perch which is what I am into go to hunt them

I have access to a few small rivers but can't fish for trout , even if I could , as the season is march to September

Only fished a stillwater for trout once or twice , are they open all year round your way ?

Idwal won a tv competition which thousands entered to become a commentator on the 1970 world cup. He got to the last two and was up against Ian St. John but Idwal got it on the casting vote of Alf Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    leading on from another thread I think most of them are crap , as are most of the pundits

Welsh team warming up , Idwal says Welsh centre back looks very much like John Toshack ! Fella on microphone says thats because that is John Toshack Idwal

We have all been there
    Clive Tildesley has recently been demoted by ITV as their lead commentator. He gave quite a tirade on Twitter over it. He's now become main commentator on Rangers TV, so he's now universally hated by Celtic fans! He took to selling off old hand written match notes he'd made.

Parry is now one of the football league commentators on Sky, still going. Tyler is still there but well past his best.

I quite like John Murray on Radio 5, the part Geordie one.

Clive Tildesley commentates on EPL games for NBC. I think he commentated on one of the FA Cup matches for ESPN today.

The main commentators for NBC -who have the rights to the EPL- are Arlo White and Peter Drury.

First thing they have to do is get rid of all the women , both at games and in the studio. None of them know anything, and I don’t need to be told something by a woman, when i’m fully aware of what’s happening. I used to enjoy radio commentators more, in the past. They had to be more descriptive, more informative ,which led to football being much more enjoyable before Sky came in.They made you feel as though you were actually there. Bring back the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Clive Tildesley commentates on EPL games for NBC. I think he commentated on one of the FA Cup matches for ESPN today.

The main commentators for NBC -who have the rights to the EPL- are Arlo White and Peter Drury.
    There's an international feed for Premier League games, covered mainly by White and Drury. Clearly NBC use that feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Idwal won a tv competition which thousands entered to become a commentator on the 1970 world cup. He got to the last two and was up against Ian St. John but Idwal got it on the casting vote of Alf Ramsey.
    Our very own Hugh Johns , commentate on 1970 World Cup

Covered HTV sport for ages

God rest his soul

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Clive Tildesley has recently been demoted by ITV as their lead commentator. He gave quite a tirade on Twitter over it. He's now become main commentator on Rangers TV, so he's now universally hated by Celtic fans! He took to selling off old hand written match notes he'd made.

Parry is now one of the football league commentators on Sky, still going. Tyler is still there but well past his best.

I quite like John Murray on Radio 5, the part Geordie one.
    if you see John Murray tell him I want a word

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    First thing they have to do is get rid of all the women , both at games and in the studio. None of them know anything, and I don’t need to be told something by a woman, when i’m fully aware of what’s happening. I used to enjoy radio commentators more, in the past. They had to be more descriptive, more informative ,which led to football being much more enjoyable before Sky came in.They made you feel as though you were actually there. Bring back the good old days.
    no women allowed to go to football matches ?

Thats a bit harsh

I have met some right sorts down the city

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post

You're leaving yourself open to abuse on here mate expressing those sentiments ! Although I'm not quite as anti-woman as you appear to be, broadly speaking I'm in your camp.

For me the worse female match commentator is Vicki Sparks. I hate her voice with a passion. She speaks in tired old clichés and uses ridiculous inflections in her voice to generate excitement. She even copied the famous Agueerrrro commentary, the one when his late goal won the league for Man City. Leicester scored and she screamed out Vaaarrrrrdy in the same drawn out fashion and sounded like a wailing banshee.

The worse co-commentator by far us Karen Carney. Horrible nasal twang and a lazy way of speaking. She takes hindsight to a new level. If a player has a shot saved by placing it high, she says he should have hit it low and vice versa. Hope the BBC get rid of her ASAP.

Feckin hate Alan Green, glad the BBC dropped him. Worst pundit, Pat Nevin, can't understand a word he says, sounds like he permanently pissed

Idwal Rowling loved Arfon Griffiths. There'd be a seemingly terrible pass but apparently that was due to his team mates not having the vision to have run there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You're leaving yourself open to abuse on here mate expressing those sentiments ! Although I'm not quite as anti-woman as you appear to be, broadly speaking I'm in your camp.

For me the worse female match commentator is Vicki Sparks. I hate her voice with a passion. She speaks in tired old clichés and uses ridiculous inflections in her voice to generate excitement. She even copied the famous Agueerrrro commentary, the one when his late goal won the league for Man City. Leicester scored and she screamed out Vaaarrrrrdy in the same drawn out fashion and sounded like a wailing banshee.

The worse co-commentator by far us Karen Carney. Horrible nasal twang and a lazy way of speaking. She takes hindsight to a new level. If a player has a shot saved by placing it high, she says he should have hit it low and vice versa. Hope the BBC get rid of her ASAP.
    I agree completely about Vicki Sparks, I can't listen to her for long, apart from that, the women commentators don't bother me and someone like Alex Scott is a better analyst than most of the men,

As for the men, I've never really got why Martin Tyler is so highly rated, same with Motson - Barry Davies was much better than him. Guy Mowbray's alright and I don't mind Johnathan Pearce when he commentates naturally rather than acting at it like he did in his early days. I think Steve Wilson is the best of the current crop though and although the "part Geordie" sounds like a full Geordie to me, I enjoy listening to John Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree completely about Vicki Sparks, I can't listen to her for long, apart from that, the women commentators don't bother me and someone like Alex Scott is a better analyst than most of the men,

As for the men, I've never really got why Martin Tyler is so highly rated, same with Motson - Barry Davies was much better than him. Guy Mowbray's alright and I don't mind Johnathan Pearce when he commentates naturally rather than acting at it like he did in his early days. I think Steve Wilson is the best of the current crop though and although the "part Geordie" sounds like a full Geordie to me, I enjoy listening to John Murray.
    It drives me around the twist how Alex Scott doesn't pronounce her t's.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Danny Gabbidon is even worse at that.

No its banned mate by the clubs I am in

Wheres the river Blackwater?

If it was a coarse river I would wait till the floods were over and fish in the smaller rivers running off it where the small fish take cover and that's where the pike and perch which is what I am into go to hunt them

I have access to a few small rivers but can't fish for trout , even if I could , as the season is march to September

Only fished a stillwater for trout once or twice , are they open all year round your way ?
    River Blackwater runs near Sandhurst on the Berks/Hants border then into the Loddon south of Reading which then joins the Thames east of Reading.

Some Stillwater trout fishing round here but in winter it’s all lure ripping which ain’t my cuppa.

Might have a go spinning for pike on some of the open waters on the Thames.

Our very own Hugh Johns , commentate on 1970 World Cup

Covered HTV sport for ages

God rest his soul
    Hugh John's was great.
    He'd say the score was 1- nothing, rather than 1-nil. If a shot was just wide he'd describe it as being perpendicular.
    Every commentator has their quirks and he had his fair share.

We have all been there

Hugh Johns used to ruin Soccer Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hugh John's was great.
    He'd say the score was 1- nothing, rather than 1-nil. If a shot was just wide he'd describe it as being PERPENDICULAR.
    Every commentator has their quirks and he had his fair share.

My memory says that he used to say it was "ADJACENT", horrible word for football.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    She was always downing us, when we were in the prem.

Horrible woman, hope Question of Sport goes down in the ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

I'm in this camp as well although Gabby Logan, Kelly Cates, Caroline Barker and the Wurzel girl on Soccer Saturday are all excellent but there are too many now on tv for what they are rather than what they know. The female pundit on Chelsea v Luton yesterday appeared to know very little about the EFL but BBC Wales rugby programmes are even worse. Scrum V now has a female presenter, pundits and interviewers yet when women's football or rugby is shown, there's not a bloke in sight.
    Rant over, have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Do we really need analysts ? Jamie Carragher, Neville spout on before, during and after every game and it's just jibberish. One of the delights of a wet Saturday afternoon when City were away was to sit in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday and enjoy a few middle aged blokes - just like you'd meet at a game - tutting, shaking their heads, having a laugh, a moan. The last thing I want is some smart-arsed bloke or woman explaining the finer points of kicking a bit of leather and plastic around the pitch..

There’s more talking on football highlights shows, than there is action.

I record and fast forward