+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football Commentators, The Accused

Re: Football Commentators, The Accused

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Just a co-commentator yesterday and s bloody awful one at that.

Agree, awful!

One from the past, who remembers Roger Malone ? He used to commentate on most of the west country matches in the 60's and 70's. Used the word "there" after a player's name, especially if they scored. "Chrissie Garland there !" etc. Not a bad commentator but good fun to take the p*ss out of at the time, especially as he was reputedly a Bristol City fan.
    Exactly how I remember him except for one thing - I thought he was a Rovers fan. His infatuation with the word "there" extended into goalscoring because it seemed every time the ball hit net it was accompanied by "it's there!".

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Karen Carney was terrible as summariser on yesterday's Chelsea Luton cup game.
    There's no inflections in her voice, just a constant drone. After Chelsea's 3rd goal said that it should secure them the 3 points.🙄
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Haha I missed that.

Would she have been co-commentator and summariser though?
    Not sure? Does she get more money if she's a co-commentator?
    She also said, following a strikers dodgy shot, that 'Alan Shearer will be going mental after that'. Not the brightest comment I thought.

Roger Malone just used the word "there" not "right in there". It's mostly the Bristol City player's names I remember him doing this to. "John Galley there" or "Gerry Gow there" and of course "Don Rogers there" when he commentated on Swindon's matches.

Brian Moore was one of the very best. Knowledgeable, excellent speaking voice and a naturally good communicator.

Isn't it crazy we'd sit through Brizzle City, Rovers or Swindon just to get a football fix.

Agree Brian Moore was superb. Commentator, interviewer and TV presenter.
    They don't make 'em like that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    First thing they have to do is get rid of all the women , both at games and in the studio. None of them know anything, and I don’t need to be told something by a woman, when i’m fully aware of what’s happening. I used to enjoy radio commentators more, in the past. They had to be more descriptive, more informative ,which led to football being much more enjoyable before Sky came in.They made you feel as though you were actually there. Bring back the good old days.
    you could still just listen to the radio yer daft old sexist

Bob Symonds for HTV Wales was the best

A rugby obsessed mafia , cardiff rfc fan with no interest whatsoever in Cardiff City

He used to read the pre prepared commentary on the highlights for soccer Sunday

Quality stuff

Isn't it crazy we'd sit through Brizzle City, Rovers or Swindon just to get a football fix.

Agree Brian Moore was superb. Commentator, interviewer and TV presenter.
    They don't make 'em like that any more.
    Indeed they don't, which makes having to listen to Vicki Sparks even more galling. I could take Tuerto's option and turn the volume off I suppose !

There is something about listening to a cultured male voice describing a sporting or non-sporting event that transcends any female voice I've ever heard. If this is a sexist belief then so be it.

Are you all saying she should be commenting only on the World Knitting Championships? Very naughty.

Agree that sometimes less is more, especially on TV.
    I didn't realise at the time, Dan Maskell on tennis was the master at saying just enough.

Having said that, imagine if you were blind or even partially sighted.
    I'd imagine the experience would be much better with a more descriptive commentator.
    Wouldn’t people who were blind be better off watching it on the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Someone must be feeling better
    How's your belly off for spots?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was being quite serious though.
    It's only something, I'm ashamed to say, I've recently become aware of due to some TV adverts to do with funding for guide dogs and young children who are blind.

In these days of trying to be more inclusive in just about everything, it seemed to me that perhaps these commentators are providing more verbal purposely with this in mind.

People with sight problems should be able to experience as much enjoyment from a football match as the next person, especially in these times of TV being the only option.

I just wonder whether it's a conscious thing or whether its simply because the moden day commentator likes the sound of their own voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There's an international feed for Premier League games, covered mainly by White and Drury. Clearly NBC use that feed.
    It's actually White and Tildsley that our main commentators now. We get them for dedicated US games with Graeme Le Saux and Lee Dixon usually one at a time but sometimes together. They are quite entertaining. Especially Lee Dixon. They interact with the studio panel and do a before and after. We get two main games on Saturday and depending on who's playing and when, one on Sunday and/or Monday. We also get every other PL game presented from the studio but using the international feed. Which unfortunately may involve Andy Townsend or Efan Ekoku. Obviously, the schedule this year is completely different to what we're used to. Not sure what sort of coverage we'll be getting today. NBC is normally very good on weekends, but the midweek B-team is not as engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Clive Tildesley has recently been demoted by ITV as their lead commentator. He gave quite a tirade on Twitter over it. He's now become main commentator on Rangers TV, so he's now universally hated by Celtic fans! He took to selling off old hand written match notes he'd made.

Parry is now one of the football league commentators on Sky, still going. Tyler is still there but well past his best.

I quite like John Murray on Radio 5, the part Geordie one.
    I listen to 5 live a lot and like John Murray (especially when there's been a "bw-king"), Ian Dennis and Alistair Bruce-Ball, even if there is a touch of the Partridge about him. Not so fussed on Conor McNamara and fully agree with everything said about Vikki Sparks, she's awful. As for the pundits, agree with another comment on here about Pat Nevin. Always uses more words than necessary and is always right. Can't listen to him, especially when paired with Sparks for the Hall of Shame commentary team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    I listen to 5 live a lot and like John Murray (especially when there's been a "bw-king"), Ian Dennis and Alistair Bruce-Ball, even if there is a touch of the Partridge about him. Not so fussed on Conor McNamara and fully agree with everything said about Vikki Sparks, she's awful. As for the pundits, agree with another comment on here about Pat Nevin. Always uses more words than necessary and is always right. Can't listen to him, especially when paired with Sparks for the Hall of Shame commentary team.
    When I said how awful Vicki Sparks was I didn't expect anyone to be in agreement with me. How wrong I was !

I have a friend who was a professional in his sport ( not football). He now co comments on his sport part time for one of the satellite channels, he’s been told his hours are being cut this year because they have to bring in some female co commentators ( on the men’s game). He then asked couldn’t he do more commentary on the women’s games and was told no because he had never played the women’s game - go figure!