+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbowl

Superbowl

What a story for Tom Brady, discarded by New England after winning 9 Championships & 6 Bowls, takes completely unfancied Tampa Bay to the Superbowl. The greatest QB ever versus the heir apparent in Patch Mahomes & the odds on favourite Chiefs.

I know the NFL is not everyone's cup of tea but this has been one of the best seasons ever and could be the Leicester City season if the Buccaneers win

Re: Superbowl

Gladyou are enjoying it
    i would equate the superbowl to how many think of cricket ...one giant (sponsered advertised) bore fest

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    What a story for Tom Brady, discarded by New England after winning 9 Championships & 6 Bowls, takes completely unfancied Tampa Bay to the Superbowl. The greatest QB ever versus the heir apparent in Patch Mahomes & the odds on favourite Chiefs.

I know the NFL is not everyone's cup of tea but this has been one of the best seasons ever and could be the Leicester City season if the Buccaneers win
    A bit like Spurs signing Bale (who fully recovers from injury) and is followed by Ronaldo (Gronk) and Modric (Antonio Brown) winning the Champions League while Real Madrid crash out much earlier on. A Leicester City story this ain't.

International

I loved american football many years ago. My team were the Dolphins, always wanted them to beat the Packers and the 49ers in particular. But they're not the team they used to be.
    They used to say that the noise was so intense in the Orange bowl when the dolphins were in defense that the opposition QB couldn't make himself heard by his own players 6 feet away .
    I remember them playing Chicago in Chicago in a blizzard. The game still went ahead. Any ball sport in this country would have been called off before they even started. It's a great game if you understand it. And if the rules in soccer put the ball in play as much as it is n ithat game all these players would be creamed after a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

My lad had a bet on Tampa Bay before the season started at 16-1 so the Leicester comparison doesn't quite hold but it's been an incredible achievement, I agree. Mahomes is a phenomenon, him and Brady going head to head in a Superbowl is quite a prospect. Kansas City are streets ahead of everyone else though, they'd have to freeze on the night to let Tampa win, surely?

Incredible athletes, incredible skill in the passing of the ball for the guy to get the touchdown but its not for me

Football , Rugby I can deal with

Debbie does Dallas was a bone fest.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I remember them playing Chicago in Chicago in a blizzard. The game still went ahead. Any ball sport in this country would have been called off before they even started. It's a great game if you understand it. And if the rules in soccer put the ball in play as much as it is n ithat game all these players would be creamed after a match.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_N...he_Ice_Bowl%22

Can't see the Ice Bowl making it past Derby's groundsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Incredible athletes, incredible skill in the passing of the ball for the guy to get the touchdown but its not for me

Football , Rugby I can deal with
    Rugby just looks like a big mess to me. I would half-heartedly watch if Wales were playing, but then every time I do, I just think "how is this a spectator sport?". They show club rugby over here too, I pay it no mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Rugby just looks like a big mess to me. I would half-heartedly watch if Wales were playing, but then every time I do, I just think "how is this a spectator sport?". They show club rugby over here too, I pay it no mind.
    I think international rugby is a great spectacle

I particularly like watching Australia

But Welsh club rugby I don't bother with

However football will always be number one

Not sure why, but after being a big fan when it used to be shown on Channel 4 in the eighties, I kind of lost contact with American Football, but have got back into it somewhat in the last two seasons. My teams in the eighties were the Houston Oilers because they were crap (they seem to have disappeared into the ether somewhere in the last thirty odd years) and the Green Bay Packers because it snowed so often in their games. So I was hoping they were going to win it this year and I certainly didn't see what happened on the weekend coming. I'd usually be wanting the team that had won the previous year to be beaten, but I'll be supporting Kansas City because even someone with such a patchy knowledge of the game as me can see that Mahomes is something special - as is Brady of course, but, perhaps wrongly, I'm not a fan of his because of Deflategate.

Chiefs will win again and should dominate for years too come, they utilise free agency and draft so well adding in Mahomes as a talisman you’re always going to be there or there abouts.

But, I think the Ravens will come again next year, Lamar Jackson should keep progressing and if they draft/sign a new WR1 and OL help they could be worth a punt next year currently 10/1

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not sure why, but after being a big fan when it used to be shown on Channel 4 in the eighties, I kind of lost contact with American Football, but have got back into it somewhat in the last two seasons. My teams in the eighties were the Houston Oilers because they were crap (they seem to have disappeared into the ether somewhere in the last thirty odd years) and the Green Bay Packers because it snowed so often in their games. So I was hoping they were going to win it this year and I certainly didn't see what happened on the weekend coming. I'd usually be wanting the team that had won the previous year to be beaten, but I'll be supporting Kansas City because even someone with such a patchy knowledge of the game as me can see that Mahomes is something special - as is Brady of course, but, perhaps wrongly, I'm not a fan of his because of Deflategate.
    The Oilers moved to Tennessee and then changed their name to the Titans. Houston got a new team in the expansion (I think - this happened when I stopped following it for a while too).

Somehow whenever someone mentions American Football the scene in Flash Gordon springs to mind :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poir-QmgaZU

Just can't take it seriously - nor can the rest of the world so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The Oilers moved to Tennessee and then changed their name to the Titans. Houston got a new team in the expansion (I think - this happened when I stopped following it for a while too).
    Yes, I noticed that Houston still has a team, but usually when a franchise moves it takes the name with them don't they - I was going to say it's probably because Tennessee has no reputation for oil production, but it seems it does have an oil industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis
    The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens
    The Cleveland Browns are an expansion team
    The Rams moved from LA to St Louis and then back to LA
    The St Louis Cardinals (formerly of Chicago) moved to Phoenix and eventually changed their name to the Arizona Cardinals
    The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA, back to Oakland, and then to Vegas
    The Houston Oilers moved to Tennesee and became the Titans
    The Houston Texans are an expansion team
    The LA Chargers started in LA, moved to San Diego and then back to LA.

Should the Bucs win, Brady should be held in the same regard as Michael Jordan within the American sports-sphere. What he will have done will never be matched, and Mahomes losing to 43 year old Brady will have removed any opportunity he may have had in the future to usurp Brady as the 'goat'.

Pressure's on Kansas nqat.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Should the Bucs win, Brady should be held in the same regard as Michael Jordan within the American sports-sphere. What he will have done will never be matched, and Mahomes losing to 43 year old Brady will have removed any opportunity he may have had in the future to usurp Brady as the 'goat'.

Pressure's on Kansas nqat.
    Brady is already the GOAT. This will be his 10th Superbowl. He's won 6 and I wouldn't bet against him winning a 7th. Mahomes will soon not be as mobile as he now and he's going to have to change his game. Even though he is already an excellent passer. He also doesn't have Bill Belichick coaching him. And Andy Reid won't be around for that much longer. Rodgers is probably a better QB than both of them, he just hasn't had the tools and the coaching that they had/have. And I don't think anyone can match Brady's preparation, concentration and desire.

I too used to enjoy the the American Football in the days of Dan Marino, John Riggins, Joe Theisman, Walter Payton... simply because it was sport on the TV!
    Only 4 channels to choose from and shown on Sundays, from memory the competition being Songs of praise, Bullseye or Antiques Roadshow!

Spoilt for choice on sport these days and football plus the odd game of cricket I find is more than enough.
    I don't feel the need to watch the American football but I suppose when it's your national sport and on the TV all the time, I'm sure you'd get into it.

The Superbowl is still a huge event and still worth watching though, even if i don't know any of the players.
    I will record it and watch next day fast forwarding all the crap, of which there is a lot, in between.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis
    The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens
    The Cleveland Browns are an expansion team
    The Rams moved from LA to St Louis and then back to LA
    The St Louis Cardinals (formerly of Chicago) moved to Phoenix and eventually changed their name to the Arizona Cardinals
    The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA, back to Oakland, and then to Vegas
    The Houston Oilers moved to Tennesee and became the Titans
    The Houston Texans are an expansion team
    The LA Chargers started in LA, moved to San Diego and then back to LA.
    Thats just complete bollocks then isn't it , its even more about money than over here then

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I too used to enjoy the the American Football in the days of Dan Marino, John Riggins, Joe Theisman, Walter Payton... simply because it was sport on the TV!
    Only 4 channels to choose from and shown on Sundays, from memory the competition being Songs of praise, Bullseye or Antiques Roadshow!

Spoilt for choice on sport these days and football plus the odd game of cricket I find is more than enough.
    I don't feel the need to watch the American football but I suppose when it's your national sport and on the TV all the time, I'm sure you'd get into it.

The Superbowl is still a huge event and still worth watching though, even if i don't know any of the players.
    I will record it and watch next day fast forwarding all the crap, of which there is a lot, in between.
    Football , for all its faults is the worlds game

American football , like Australian rules football is country based

I prefer aussie rules to American football , those lads are tough !

International

I was watching the game live the night Theisman broke his leg. It was grusome. His shin bone was sticking out of his sock sideways and his team mates were trying to stop him from looking at it. It really was dreadful.

I was watching the game live the night Theisman broke his leg. It was grusome. His shin bone was sticking out of his sock sideways and his team mates were trying to stop him from looking at it. It really was dreadful.
    Wasn't it just.
    First time I'd ever seen an injury like that, such a graphic view.
    In fact I'm surprised that type of injury isn't a common occurrance in the game.
    I suppose you QB knows the risks which is why you often see them scrambling just to get rid.

Did Theisman ever recover to play again?

International

Wasn't it just.
    First time I'd ever seen an injury like that, such a graphic view.
    In fact I'm surprised that type of injury isn't a common occurrance in the game.
    I suppose you QB knows the risks which is why you often see them scrambling just to get rid.

Did Theisman ever recover to play again?
    He recvered but retired and became a pundit. Very well respected man.

He recvered but retired and became a pundit. Very well respected man.