+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superbowl

Re: Superbowl

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I was watching the game live the night Theisman broke his leg. It was grusome. His shin bone was sticking out of his sock sideways and his team mates were trying to stop him from looking at it. It really was dreadful.
    Jesus

Once the game gets you, you’re hooked. Only Football beats it now for me. NFL is a lot more complex than football... there are in my opinion so many more layers to it. It’s still not football though.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Once the game gets you, you’re hooked. Only Football beats it now for me. NFL is a lot more complex than football... there are in my opinion so many more layers to it. It’s still not football though.
    A very good sport to watch if you take time to try to understand it. Many can't be bothered though and I was like that for years but wish I had taken the time to look into the rules many years ago.

https://youtu.be/Ddwp1HyEFRE

Very basic video but it is a start and once you know what is actually happening it is very enjoyable.

As for those that have mentioned rugby. The Pro14 is up there with some of the worst top level competitions in pro sport. It is like watching paint dry. The quicker the Welsh 'regions' get into bed with the English clubs the better.

It's been described as "chess with muscles".

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's been described as "chess with muscles".
    That is how I think of it: chess with elite athletes.

Its ability to generate drama is unparalleled (the best bits of test match cricket aside). In the last few years we had the Seahawks throwing away a second superbowl; the Pats crazy comeback from the dead; the mineapolis miracle which was absolutely amazing to see. Teams can be seemingly out of it, and yet find ways to win. The lead seems to change hands so much more often than it does in Football- it is just so good to watch when it is good (and it often is).

I also like that there are many and various ways to excel - just look at the different characteristics of the starting QBs in the Superbowl. And Brady is not the only "experienced" player out there either: the two QBs he beat on the way to the superbowl are Rogers (37) and Brees (42). I spend far more time watching NFL than football now. I got sky sports for the playoffs - I've not watched a single premier league game in that time. (I've suffered a few Cardiff games, but that is all.)

And these guys are supremely skilful: many of them could (and have) played at elite level in other sports, too. Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson are two that spring to mind. Murray was the 9th pick int the baseball draft, and then first in the NFL draft. That is incredible- I'm sure I am overlooking some, but it is hard to think of a modern era professional sportsman with that level of excellence in two sports.

THe otehr thing I love about NFL is the way the draft system does exactly teh opposite of money in football: it forces a level playing field.

Football is the best sport in the world, that is a matter of fact. It is so accessible, loved by so many and for good reason. I don't see how american football can really exist as a participator sport for many people: the infrastructure needed to have a game is surely a blocker. If I wanted to play (and I categorically do not, it looks terrifying) I've no idea how I'd even go about it. I've no idea if/how "pub leagues" work for NFL, but it seems unlikely. And therefore it is not even close to proper sports really. But at the elite level, I cannot think of a sport I would rather watch, with the possible exception of the very best bits of test match cricket. Football comes a long way behind any of that for me now.

I met a guy early last year, who worked on the Buccs owners yacht.
    He told me Brady was going to sign for TB, so I bet them to win the Super Bowl at 25/1 .
    I think I’ll lay part of it off tho...Mahome is a real talent, and could win the game on his own !

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I loved american football many years ago. My team were the Dolphins, always wanted them to beat the Packers and the 49ers in particular. But they're not the team they used to be.
    They used to say that the noise was so intense in the Orange bowl when the dolphins were in defense that the opposition QB couldn't make himself heard by his own players 6 feet away .
    I remember them playing Chicago in Chicago in a blizzard. The game still went ahead. Any ball sport in this country would have been called off before they even started. It's a great game if you understand it. And if the rules in soccer put the ball in play as much as it is n ithat game all these players would be creamed after a match.
    A one hour American football game takes about two and a half hours to complete. They are standing around half the time with thirty five second breaks between each play, breaks between each quarter, a fifteen to thirty minute half time, three time outs each team each half, advert breaks every few minutes, injury time outs, review and challenge time outs etc etc. Their players wouldn't last five minutes in a soccer game. Most of them are bulked up and overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    A one hour American football game takes about two and a half hours to complete. They are standing around half the time with thirty five second breaks between each play, breaks between each quarter, a fifteen to thirty minute half time, three time outs each team each half, advert breaks every few minutes, injury time outs, review and challenge time outs etc etc. Their players wouldn't last five minutes in a soccer game. Most of them are bulked up and overweight.
    I'm not sure them being less fit than "soccer players" is correct but even if they are so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'm not sure them being less fit than "soccer players" is correct but even if they are so what?
    I am not a fan of American football and find all the breaks pathetic

But they are huge , athletic blokes with power , strength , speed and agility

They have the specific fitness to play their game/position as football players have to play theirs.

Like saying your footballer wouldn't have the skills to win a high diving contest (Neymar aside). Two different worlds and bodies engineered for those different worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am not a fan of American football and find all the breaks pathetic

But they are huge , athletic blokes with power , strength , speed and agility
    Are you swooning, Sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    They have the specific fitness to play their game/position as football players have to play theirs.

Like saying your footballer wouldn't have the skills to win a high diving contest (Neymar aside). Two different worlds and bodies engineered for those different worlds.
    Rugby Union, league and aussie football is a collision contact sport , as is American football , they have to be very powerful

Centre backs are more muscular and taller than box to box midfielders in football

Rugby Union, league and aussie football is a collision contact sport , as is American football , they have to be very powerful

Centre backs are more muscular and taller than box to box midfielders in football
    A little ditty for you, Sludge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbI7...A4%85%E5%AD%90

Yeah.

It is very much horses for courses.

You could literally rubbish most sportsmen by comparing them to a completely different sport. I've heard Keiffer Moore is crap at darts.

Yeah.

It is very much horses for courses.

You could literally rubbish most sportsmen by comparing them to a completely different sport. I've heard Keiffer Moore is crap at darts.
    Geoff Capes would have been a useless jockey over the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Geoff Capes would have been a useless jockey over the sticks.
    He would have.

Lester Piggott would have been absolutely terrible at the luge.

He would have.

Lester Piggott would have been absolutely terrible at the luge.
    Not huge on the luge then.

They get paid millions because anyone could do it? Some offensive linemen are over 300lbs but can run 40 yards in under 5 seconds. I bet there's not one player in the PL that could run across the middle, catch a pass and hold on to the ball as they get hit by a 250lb linebacker at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They get paid millions because anyone could do it? Some offensive linemen are over 300lbs but can run 40 yards in under 5 seconds. I bet there's not one player in the PL that could run across the middle, catch a pass and hold on to the ball as they get hit by a 250lb linebacker at full speed.
    Mehmet off again.

He's probably got the same attitude to running a football club.

'How hard can it be?'

Looks like many others have had their say, but this is an obviously ignorant perspective.

Looks like many others have had their say, but this is an obviously ignorant perspective.
    Yep. Mouthing off about something you have little or no knowledge of is not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    That is how I think of it: chess with elite athletes.

Its ability to generate drama is unparalleled (the best bits of test match cricket aside). In the last few years we had the Seahawks throwing away a second superbowl; the Pats crazy comeback from the dead; the mineapolis miracle which was absolutely amazing to see. Teams can be seemingly out of it, and yet find ways to win. The lead seems to change hands so much more often than it does in Football- it is just so good to watch when it is good (and it often is).

I also like that there are many and various ways to excel - just look at the different characteristics of the starting QBs in the Superbowl. And Brady is not the only "experienced" player out there either: the two QBs he beat on the way to the superbowl are Rogers (37) and Brees (42). I spend far more time watching NFL than football now. I got sky sports for the playoffs - I've not watched a single premier league game in that time. (I've suffered a few Cardiff games, but that is all.)

And these guys are supremely skilful: many of them could (and have) played at elite level in other sports, too. Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson are two that spring to mind. Murray was the 9th pick int the baseball draft, and then first in the NFL draft. That is incredible- I'm sure I am overlooking some, but it is hard to think of a modern era professional sportsman with that level of excellence in two sports.

THe otehr thing I love about NFL is the way the draft system does exactly teh opposite of money in football: it forces a level playing field.

Football is the best sport in the world, that is a matter of fact. It is so accessible, loved by so many and for good reason. I don't see how american football can really exist as a participator sport for many people: the infrastructure needed to have a game is surely a blocker. If I wanted to play (and I categorically do not, it looks terrifying) I've no idea how I'd even go about it. I've no idea if/how "pub leagues" work for NFL, but it seems unlikely. And therefore it is not even close to proper sports really. But at the elite level, I cannot think of a sport I would rather watch, with the possible exception of the very best bits of test match cricket. Football comes a long way behind any of that for me now.
    Very well put.

But you left out the "Philly Special".

Your talking through your arse here dml. I’ve played both sports (& egg) and they’re not comparable, fitness wise the only sport on a par is Rugby League. The impacts are constant and from angles you’re not expecting. I loved playing the sport but I had more injuries in 2 years than playing football for 25 years