+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh Government Grant To Sport A Bit One Sided

Welsh Government Grant To Sport A Bit One Sided

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nding-19690730

Almost all of it to Welsh rugby

I understand that rugby does not have the money flooding about it that football does , well in the Premier league and recently relegated championship.......although the Thomas pies fella who owns cardiff has a few quid ?

But grass roots football is just as important as grass roots rugby

The FAW suffer from not having international revenue and increased merchandise at this time and the postponing of euro 2020 in the same way that the WRU miss out on income from the 6 nations ....

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a piss take for the amateur football game and grass roots football in favour of rugby ?

Re: Welsh Government Grant To Sport A Bit One Sided

It’s total favouritism but it will all come out in the wash.

People will be encouraged to support what actually means most to them coming out of this pandemic.

Let’s see how grass roots sports fairs after that

It does seem a bit unfair, Although South Wales does have a Professional Rugby system that isn't comparable to our League of Wales-And the feeder leagues in terms of running costs etc. The Four regions will take the biggest share.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nding-19690730

Almost all of it to Welsh rugby

I understand that rugby does not have the money flooding about it that football does , well in the Premier league and recently relegated championship.......although the Thomas pies fella who owns cardiff has a few quid ?

But grass roots football is just as important as grass roots rugby

The FAW suffer from not having international revenue and increased merchandise at this time and the postponing of euro 2020 in the same way that the WRU miss out on income from the 6 nations ....

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a piss take for the amateur football game and grass roots football in favour of rugby ?
    To be fair Rugby is the main totally independent professional game in Wales.

All the players that play football for the national side are produces by English Clubs, or the Welsh Football League. There is support available from the football league.

Cricket in wales is supported by the ECB.

There are grants available for grass root clubs in regards to the Sports Wales Protect, Progress and Prepare grants.

I'm not a big rugby fan but can understand that Rugby need the support that it is not getting from elsewhere.

The “BAY MAFIA”, gotta protect their tickets

If pro clubs in Wales can afford to spend upto £100k a week on players wages they don't deserve handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    To be fair Rugby is the main totally independent professional game in Wales.

All the players that play football for the national side are produces by English Clubs, or the Welsh Football League. There is support available from the football league.

Cricket in wales is supported by the ECB.

There are grants available for grass root clubs in regards to the Sports Wales Protect, Progress and Prepare grants.

I'm not a big rugby fan but can understand that Rugby need the support that it is not getting from elsewhere.
    I can see that , I enjoy rugby but not all the nonsense that goes with it

I suppose the semi pro sides like neath and pontypridd need propping up

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    If pro clubs in Wales can afford to spend upto £100k a week on players wages they don't deserve handouts.
    have city got players on that ?

have city got players on that ?
    Hope not.

But with the amount of money in football, going cash in hand to any Govt is a cheek.

I 100% would prefer that players get the bulk of the benefit of the money in the game but the pandemic for me shows how uniteresting sport is without fans. The game should be doing more to make sure stadiums are packed out every week and players have a roll to play in that. I dread to think what a season ticket at somewhere like Aresnal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Hope not.

But with the amount of money in football, going cash in hand to any Govt is a cheek.

I 100% would prefer that players get the bulk of the benefit of the money in the game but the pandemic for me shows how uniteresting sport is without fans. The game should be doing more to make sure stadiums are packed out every week and players have a roll to play in that. I dread to think what a season ticket at somewhere like Aresnal is.
    Arsenal , Spurs , Chelsea, Liverpool, United ......got to be talking 1200 quid havnt we in the good seats

There are so many rugby clubs reliant on hand outs from Welsh rfu, some of the players are getting paid very well and is certainly not sustainable based on the income they bring in from attendances.

The whole system needs reviewing as it's just a waste of money.

Welsh rfu has always been looked after very well in money and handing out jobs in education

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    There are so many rugby clubs reliant on hand outs from Welsh rfu, some of the players are getting paid very well and is certainly not sustainable based on the income they bring in from attendances.

The whole system needs reviewing as it's just a waste of money.

Welsh rfu has always been looked after very well in money and handing out jobs in education
    We are relying on a very rich man to cover us , I don't like it but its modern football

Its said that despite the money in football many clubs above us in the top flight are in heavy debt

In terms of rugby the regions were clearly a realisation that money through ticket sales was never going to keep many of the traditional sides in Welsh rugby in business

Cardiff Blues seem to get the biggest crowds of the 4 regions but even they don't get much .

A successful Cardiff City in the top flight could fill a 30000 seater stadium , maybe with sustained success 35000 ?

But Cardiff Blues ? I can't imagine them ever needing a stadium fitting more than 15000

We are relying on a very rich man to cover us , I don't like it but its modern football

Its said that despite the money in football many clubs above us in the top flight are in heavy debt

In terms of rugby the regions were clearly a realisation that money through ticket sales was never going to keep many of the traditional sides in Welsh rugby in business

Cardiff Blues seem to get the biggest crowds of the 4 regions but even they don't get much .

A successful Cardiff City in the top flight could fill a 30000 seater stadium , maybe with sustained success 35000 ?

But Cardiff Blues ? I can't imagine them ever needing a stadium fitting more than 15000
    A rubbish top flight Cardiff City averaged 31,000. God knows what a successful one could do

That’s the WAG for you...bunch of ****wits

No doubt the decision was based on them keeping their hospitality freebies at the 6 nations and Autumn Internationals. It’s pathetic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    That’s the WAG for you...bunch of ****wits

No doubt the decision was based on them keeping their hospitality freebies at the 6 nations and Autumn Internationals. It’s pathetic!!
    It did seem very one sided