+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Williams: Wales captain announces retirement

Ashley Williams: Wales captain announces retirement

Re: Ashley Williams: Wales captain announces retirement

Whilst he has been declining for some time surprised he could have got a short term contract and potentially been part of the euros where are short on experience in that area. Surprised someone like Ledley hasn't busted a gut to get a team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Whilst he has been declining for some time surprised he could have got a short term contract and potentially been part of the euros where are short on experience in that area. Surprised someone like Ledley hasn't busted a gut to get a team as well.
    I think there's a chance Joe might end up playing in Australia again - as for Ashley Williams, I know he played for the wrong teams (jacks and wurzels), but he was a mainstay of the Welsh team and was another who barely missed a call up for us, I hope he has a happy retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think there's a chance Joe might end up playing in Australia again - as for Ashley Williams, I know he played for the wrong teams (jacks and wurzels), but he was a mainstay of the Welsh team and was another who barely missed a call up for us, I hope he has a happy retirement.
    Absolutely, that headed equaliser against Belgium will be part of Welsh football folk lore and he was a great servant for the Welsh side

For someone that has represented Bristol C I actually quite like the guy.

A good professional and a good CB and captain for Wales. Part of one of the best Welsh teams I'll see.

That's it, don't think he did well for anyone else....

All the best to the guy.

A brilliant captain of Wales. Never Wales down

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    He's too old and too slow. If he was a classy midfielder who could sit back and spread it around or an experienced centre forward who could always find space and finish, fair enough. But an old centre back whose legs are gone and who's mistake-prone is just a liability.

Fantastic captain.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Great captain and integral to the best summer of my life. Good luck big man

I return and i get to see GrangetownBlues response to this

He has been waiting ever so patiently

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I return and i get to see GrangetownBlues response to this

He has been waiting ever so PATRIOTICALLY

FYP

Oops...sorry I’m late !

Good riddance....only played for Wales because he figured he didn’t have a ‘cat in hells chance’ of getting an England cap.
    Selfishly denied (86 times) WELSH players caps for their country, just to satisfy his own ego.
    Average player....below average human being. He’s retired...but I bet he’ll still be playing away.

zzzzzzzzzz

We could do with another one of him coming through for Wales....he was also a pivotal part of the jacks rise and cost them peanuts. I wondered why Dave Jones never got him first as he had connections at Stockport and we were a league or two higher I think when he signed

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Oops...sorry I’m late !

Good riddance....only played for Wales because he figured he didn’t have a ‘cat in hells chance’ of getting an England cap.
    Selfishly denied (86 times) WELSH players caps for their country, just to satisfy his own ego.
    Average player....below average human being. He’s retired...but I bet he’ll still be playing away.

Must try harder.

Been a massive part of Wales success, great defender .

Legend

Best wishes to him

International

Oops...sorry I’m late !

What kept you. I've been on tender hooks

Oops...sorry I’m late !

Fair play to you, you never let it go and you never failed to make me smile because of it

I Salute you

Never rated AW to be honest, poor in the air (THAT goal aside), quite short for a CB, always seemed to be rushed, particularly in the latter years.
    Didn't care for him at all tbh, but that was probably down to the side he played much of his career for.

Got to say though he was an integral part of that Swansea side that all the pundits used to drool over and as has been said, never let Wales down and played his part in delivering the best Wales tournament performance of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What kept you. I've been on tender hooks
    Or even tenter hooks!

A pivotal part of Wales's greatest adventure. May not have been the best ever defender, but made up for that by being a great leader on and off the pitch.
    Cheers Ashley.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We could do with another one of him coming through for Wales....he was also a pivotal part of the jacks rise and cost them peanuts. I wondered why Dave Jones never got him first as he had connections at Stockport and we were a league or two higher I think when he signed
    Think it was just the case that we couldn't afford him at the time. We were certainly in for him first: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...ys-2227688.amp

Obviously not a fan of the clubs he played for and he had a few sticky moments with City fans. Was also prone to a lot of mistakes. But no denying he was a class captain for Wales and a great servant. That game in Dublin against Ireland a couple of years ago showed he still possibly had something to offer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Or even tenter hooks!
    Don't make an escape goat of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Never rated AW to be honest, poor in the air (THAT goal aside), quite short for a CB, always seemed to be rushed, particularly in the latter years.
    Didn't care for him at all tbh, but that was probably down to the side he played much of his career for.

Got to say though he was an integral part of that Swansea side that all the pundits used to drool over and as has been said, never let Wales down and played his part in delivering the best Wales tournament performance of all time.
    “That goal” came off the back of his head! He was useless in the air, slow, and a poor tackler. Got away with ‘blocking’, and passing it back and for to his keeper and full backs for a couple of seasons, when teams let you have the ball in your own half!
    He was brutally exposed at Everton and Stoke ...when teams started playing a pressing game and he was called upon to ‘defend’...he is a bit of a joke to some fans on Merseyside.

My favourite moment was when 20,000 Cardiff fans let him know he wasn’t “even Welsh”...the look on his face was priceless!

I just hope he never gets near the Welsh team ever again, mind you, he has similar attributes to our recent managers....he makes Giggs and Coleman look like Mother Theresa!