+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Williams: Wales captain announces retirement

Re: Ashley Williams: Wales captain announces retirement

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    “That goal” came off the back of his head! He was useless in the air, slow, and a poor tackler. Got away with ‘blocking’, and passing it back and for to his keeper and full backs for a couple of seasons, when teams let you have the ball in your own half!
    He was brutally exposed at Everton and Stoke ...when teams started playing a pressing game and he was called upon to ‘defend’...he is a bit of a joke to some fans on Merseyside.

My favourite moment was when 20,000 Cardiff fans let him know he wasn’t “even Welsh”...the look on his face was priceless!

I just hope he never gets near the Welsh team ever again, mind you, he has similar attributes to our recent managers....he makes Giggs and Coleman look like Mother Theresa!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Legend

Best wishes to him
    “Legend”? Are you referring to his success rate with single mums on housing estates? Numbers you can only dream about!

And to think Dave Jones almost signed him for Cardiff City once upon a time.

StT.
    <><

Of all the Welsh players who are actually English, there hasn't been anyone who has come close to contributing as much as this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Of all the Welsh players who are actually English, there hasn't been anyone who has come close to contributing as much as this guy.
    He “turned up” for Wales ...obviously....he loved the time away, and the limelight, but just like all the other “plastic Taffies” we ever had, he was nothing more than average.
    I think it’s downright disrespectful to all of the ‘World Class’ Welsh players we’ve had over the years, to say he was our greatest captain, that’s embarrassing!
    He was our captain when we achieved (rather fortuitously) our best ever finish at a major tournament, some might say despite him, and his mate Coleman, rather than because of them.

He “turned up” for Wales ...obviously....he loved the time away, and the limelight, but just like all the other “plastic Taffies” we ever had, he was nothing more than average.
    I think it’s downright disrespectful to all of the ‘World Class’ Welsh players we’ve had over the years, to say he was our greatest captain, that’s embarrassing!
    He was our captain when we achieved (rather fortuitously) our best ever finish at a major tournament, some might say despite him, and his mate Coleman, rather than because of them.
    Fortuitously? We topped our group and beat one of the best teams in the world!

You're so blinkered because he's a Jack (same with Coleman). It's pathetic.

Nothing fortuitous about our victories against Russia or Belgium. England messed up by not beating Slovakia, but the performance against Russia was probably the best team performance by a Wales team for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Fortuitously? We topped our group and beat one of the best teams in the world!
    Mate..I went to every Euro 2016 game, I’ve actually been to most Wales games, home and away, for many years.

We were getting battered in the 1st game against Slovakia..when it was 1-1... HRK shinned one in ..totally against the run of play..happy days.
    2nd game...we got outplayed..and lost to England. Think we had only one shot on goal...Bales FK?
    3rd game..we beat Russia..who were already out, demoralised, played their squad players, and had one foot on the plane home.
    4th game....an OG...1-0...and NI fans claiming they were the better team...hard to argue against that.
    5th game...got slaughtered first half hour..could have/should have, been 3 down. Then, when Volkes..Williams...and HRK (none of them actually Welsh btw) all score..in the same game...you know someone up above is looking down on you !

It was a great few weeks in France....but please...keep it real eh?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Nothing fortuitous about our victories against Russia or Belgium. England messed up by not beating Slovakia, but the performance against Russia was probably the best team performance by a Wales team for many years.
    You realise that Volkes...Williams...and HRK ...ALL actually scored v Belgium? In the same game...
    You don’t think that’s a little ...”fortunate” ?

Mate..I went to every Euro 2016 game, I’ve actually been to most Wales games, home and away, for many years.

We were getting battered in the 1st game against Slovakia..when it was 1-1... HRK shinned one in ..totally against the run of play..happy days.
    2nd game...we got outplayed..and lost to England. Think we had only one shot on goal...Bales FK?
    3rd game..we beat Russia..who were already out, demoralised, played their squad players, and had one foot on the plane home.
    4th game....an OG...1-0...and NI fans claiming they were the better team...hard to argue against that.
    5th game...got slaughtered first half hour..could have/should have, been 3 down. Then, when Volkes..Williams...and HRK (none of them actually Welsh btw) all score..in the same game...you know someone up above is looking down on you !

Russia had to win, a win and they were through. Don't let facts get in the way. That was the best I've ever seen Wales play. I also knew we'd win after 1 minute, when Bale shot I just knew we were bang up for it.
    NI was a tough game, it was tight and our best player saw us through. Not lucky, what did they create?
    We absolutely murdered Belgium at times. We were properly good. They have 10(?) world class players, there's nothing lucky about what we did. When was the last time we lost to Belgium? You can't keep being lucky.

Its a shame you can't enjoy it.

You hate Williams so much that you reduce our national football team's greatest achievement to that? Pathetic.

Also, you're wrong. A win could have seen Russia through, we completely outplayed them in a stunning performance. If you want to talk about luck then Slovakia were lucky to have 11 on the pitch and to be just 1 down at half time considering Skrtel's assault on Jonny Williams. We were too conservative against England but Coleman learned his lesson and after a shaky start we were deserving winners over Belgium while a tight Northern Ireland game was decided by the best player on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You're so blinkered because he's a Jack (same with Coleman). It's pathetic.
    I quite like Ben Davies, Alan Curtis, and Joe Allan, they’re nice guys, and decent players....Sorry to screw your story up!
    However, more recently, I’m not particularly impressed with Rodon and Roberts from Swansea...they are not very good, and are both very bitter towards Cardiff?
    Hopefully they won’t figure too much in future Welsh teams

Imagine being this negative as a person though

Speaking of Wales as well, sounds like Ampadu had a stormer tonight, been playing well recently

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You hate Williams so much that you reduce our national football team's greatest achievement to that? Pathetic.

Also, you're wrong. A win could have seen Russia through, we completely outplayed them in a stunning performance. If you want to talk about luck then Slovakia were lucky to have 11 on the pitch and to be just 1 down at half time considering Skrtel's assault on Jonny Williams. We were too conservative against England but Coleman learned his lesson and after a shaky start we were deserving winners over Belgium while a tight Northern Ireland game was decided by the best player on the pitch
    You are correct...Russia could have gone through...but needed an unexpected win...and an unrealistic swing in goal difference..and they were a bit more realistic than you...and played their reserves.

It was an OG in Paris....Mc Cauley I think?

3 English players (who are far from “prolific “!)...scored for us against Belgium ...that in itself is extremely fortunate...never mind that they battered us for half an hour. without scoring more. Get the rose tinted glasses off ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Imagine being this negative as a person though
    I’m not at all negative....I just keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Russia had to win, a win and they were through. Don't let facts get in the way. That was the best I've ever seen Wales play. I also knew we'd win after 1 minute, when Bale shot I just knew we were bang up for it.
    NI was a tough game, it was tight and our best player saw us through. Not lucky, what did they create?
    We absolutely murdered Belgium at times. We were properly good. They have 10(?) world class players, there's nothing lucky about what we did. When was the last time we lost to Belgium? You can't keep being lucky.

I really enjoyed it! ....Just thought we were very fortunate that’s all.
    The best teams don’t always win football games...that’s why we love it...keep it real,or you just might look a bit silly.

Its a shame you can't enjoy it.
    I really enjoyed it....all 4 weeks of it. I had a great time with my family and friends.
    I just think we were extremely fortunate...we really were..so what?
    The best teams don’t always win football games...that’s why we love it
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What kept you. I've been on tender hooks
    It's taken him hours of cracking several off before he could think of posting

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's taken him hours of cracking several off before he could think of posting
    The fcuk you on about?

It’s people like you that ****ed this board up.

You got nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What kept you. I've been on tender hooks
    He he

I’m not at all negative....I just keep it real.
    Why bother going to football? If that's what you made of euro 2016, you have wasted your money and your time. That's the reality.

If you can't look back fondly on that tournament, then it's not the right hobby for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Why bother going to football? If that's what you made of euro 2016, you have wasted your money and your time. That's the reality.

If you can't look back fondly on that tournament, then it's not the right hobby for you.
    WTF are you talking about?

It was one of the best few months of my life !

I just don’t get all these “fans” gushing over Williams, and making out we were World beaters ..that’s all.

We were extremely fortunate....nothing wrong with that...all the best teams are. But please..keep it real eh?

WTF are you talking about?

It was one of the best few months of my life !

I just don’t get all these “fans” gushing over Williams, and making out we were World beaters ..that’s all.

We were extremely fortunate....nothing wrong with that...all the best teams are. But please..keep it real eh?
    In that case, you must have been terrible company in all our other qualifying groups

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In that case, you must have been terrible company in all our other qualifying groups
    Eh?

What qualifying groups? ( I’ve been all over Europe for plenty of them) are you on about?

This was the finals...the first we’d been to since ‘58