+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham to Preston; Brown recalled

Cunningham to Preston; Brown recalled

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ngham-19713337

The first bit of transfer activity under Mick McCarthy is set to be completed within the coming days

Greg Cunningham is to join his former club Preston on loan until the end of the season and might well have played his final match for Cardiff City.

It was thought that Cunningham might get a reprieve under McCarthy, who knows him from his days managing Republic of Ireland and even called him up to the squad in October 2019, however it appears his time at Cardiff City is now over.

Cunningham's contract is up at the end of the season and it is understood the Bluebirds have already held talks with first-choice left back Joe Bennett over a new deal.

The club also hold high hopes for exciting academy product Joel Bagan, and allowing Cunningham to leave would create a clearer pathway to the first team for the 19-year-old.

"Greg is going to Preston," Mick McCarthy said after the match.

"I've got Joel Bagan and I've got Joe Bennett, so I am a bit overloaded on left backs.

"I'm also bringing Ciaron Brown back from Livingston, because I'd like to see him, he has got a year's option and he is in the last year of his contract.

"I want to see him and what he has to offer, because he is a left-sided centre back come left back. My chief scout who I have had for years, one of my best mates, he watches the teams in Scotland, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Eh, you've got a lad up here and you ought to bring him back'.

"So, that's just what I'm doing."

Brown is currently on his third loan spell up at Livingston and has started to impress of late, scoring and assisting in a 2-2 draw with Celtic.

He has been a key cog in the wheel up at the Toni Macaroni Arena, having played 17 times in all competitions both at centre back and at left back.

Cardiff signed Cunningham, who turns 30 at the end of this month, from Preston for £4m ahead of their last season in the Premier League, but it never truly worked out for him in the Welsh capital.

He played second fiddle to Bennett in his debut season before heading out on loan to Blackburn Rovers last term.

Re: Cunningham to Preston; Brown recalled

Well, good luck Greg. Didn't work out here. Good news we have an option on Brown, too. I wonder if he's coming back to start after tonight's defending!

Cunningham has played 14 games for us in 2.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    In fairness, he was loaned out and then injured for 1 season.

Brown played left back for Livingstone tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In fairness, he was loaned out and then injured for 1 season.
    I'm not particularly blaming Cunningham. He was yet another player that Warnock signed and then decided that he didn't rate. He didn't play a single minute for us in the Premier League after we lost at home to Spurs on New Year's Day.

I'm not particularly blaming Cunningham. He was yet another player that Warnock signed and then decided that he didn't rate. He didn't play a single minute for us in the Premier League after we lost at home to Spurs on New Year's Day.
    We had to sign a left back, though. Of all of his poor signings, this is about the most understandable. Would have been the same for Smithies, if he had gone in the summer of 2019.

Been 3 or 4 little snippets of information about Brown doing very well up in Scotland

Hopefully, he will get his chance in the next few weeks

There’s very little training in general these days, Fixture congestion and recovery -https://twitter.com/roathboy/status/1354432133276839938
    I hope this move to allow one of our senior left-backs go in a very busy season comes back to bite us....

Joe Bennett has a groin strain and Greg Cunningham is joining Preston - https://twitter.com/roathboy/status/1354542110851166212
    Our squad may be disjointed, Neil Harris may have run out of good ideas and goodwill, but a lot of our problems have been absences through injury or players worse than usual partly due to fixture congestion. How much is Cunningham on that we can't keep him just for injury cover over these last few months?

We had to sign a left back, though. Of all of his poor signings, this is about the most understandable. Would have been the same for Smithies, if he had gone in the summer of 2019.
    The signing made sense at the time, but a year later he had fallen out with Warnock and we sent him out on loan, despite only having one other left-back in the squad (we had to get Armand Traoré in as cover again).

The signing made sense at the time, but a year later he had fallen out with Warnock and we sent him out on loan, despite only having one other left-back in the squad (we had to get Armand Traoré in as cover again).
    Was it a falling out, or was it a realisation Bennett was his left back and he was never going to get a game?

Was it a falling out, or was it a realisation Bennett was his left back and he was never going to get a game?
    Cunningham made a few comments after joining Blackburn that made me think their relationship wasn't exactly amicable.

Cunningham made a few comments after joining Blackburn that made me think their relationship wasn't exactly amicable.
    I don't think any player will like the manager that never plays him!

MM post match interview very interesting - and very candid.

He talked about Ciaron Brown coming back and said he doesn't think he will need another CB this window. He bigged up Joel Bagan and talked about giving the youngsters a chance. Very good to hear!

The mate he mentioned will be Dave Bowman, I guess. His scout at Ipswich, Scottish so that makes sense why he's seen Brown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_B...er,_born_1964)

What a waste. He's a good Championship left back. I wonder how much we got/are getting in loan fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Been 3 or 4 little snippets of information about Brown doing very well up in Scotland

Hopefully, he will get his chance in the next few weeks
    Yes but it is Scotland and looking good up there is not always a good barometer, I hope he does get a chance though in the Championship, beware Ciaron its a totally different world .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes but it is Scotland and looking good up there is not always a good barometer, I hope he does get a chance though in the Championship, beware Ciaron its a totally different world .
    This City team wouldn't get past Stenousmuir going on last night performance.

the only thing I took from that article is there's a team that plays in the Toni macaroni arena, words that can surely only be enunciated in the style of Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What a waste. He's a good Championship left back. I wonder how much we got/are getting in loan fees.
    I doubt anything, just hope they are covering his wages.

that works out as almost 300k a game, not including wages which are probably pretty high.

Cunningham loan move (to end of season and contract) to Preston now confirmed on club website:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-joins-preston

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that works out as almost 300k a game, not including wages which are probably pretty high.
    A loss of about 6m with wages? Another complete waste of money,I wonder who signed him?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cunningham loan move (to end of season and contract) to Preston now confirmed on club website:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-joins-preston
    Cunningham being loaned out and Brown coming back seems sensible to me.
    If Brown cannot grasp this opportunity then we can loan/sell I’m in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Cunningham being loaned out and Brown coming back seems sensible to me.
    If Brown cannot grasp this opportunity then we can loan/sell I’m in the summer.
    There are loads of teams that can be dragged into this (relegation battle) - anyone from Coventry downwards. Key will be the number of games that are now being condensed into the next few weeks. Avoiding injury and having some fortune will play a part but they are now taking their chances. - https://twitter.com/LizByrnes14/stat...08914311671819
    Not many teams are voluntarily making their squads smaller at the moment.