+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reddit Vs hedge funds

Feedback

Re: Reddit Vs hedge funds

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What does that business line contribute to the world? nothing as far as I can see. It should be made illegal itself.
    shorting provides liquidity to the financial system i.e. cash

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Robinhood (the stocks app used by many on Reddit in the US) isn't allowing GME stocks to be purchased. Maybe there's been some outside influence on them.

Is this the end of the road? Opening stock price will be a big fall, it seems.
    i believe they are owned by the owners of Melvin, Citadel partners

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We are all familiar with the concept of supply and demand and its effect on prices but how exactly does a share price rise or fall?
    Is it due to buyers and sellers across the board individually stipulating in advance certain thresholds that have to be reached before their personal trading activity would kick in?
    in this case the price is rising because there is limited demand and all who own shares in GME know that Melvin at some point have to buy back shares to close their position. As there are fewer shares available than what Melvin require to close, the price rises.

read up on how Porsche family took the hedge funds to the cleaners a few years ago. Behind the scenes they were buying up shares in their own company and one day they announced they owned more shares than the market thought. There were not enough shares for the hedge funds to close and the price ballooned making the Porsche family even richer than they already were by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    in this case the price is rising because there is limited demand and all who own shares in GME know that Melvin at some point have to buy back shares to close their position. As there are fewer shares available than what Melvin require to close, the price rises.

read up on how Porsche family took the hedge funds to the cleaners a few years ago. Behind the scenes they were buying up shares in their own company and one day they announced they owned more shares than the market thought. There were not enough shares for the hedge funds to close and the price ballooned making the Porsche family even richer than they already were by a country mile.
    Thanks but that's not actually the answer to my question. It was more about the mechanism as to how shares rise and fall in price. I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Robinhood has blocked GME trading, so the price will plummet. Looks like someone leaned on them to stop the hedge funds losing so much.
    Price has rose 71% today.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Dropped 12% since open though, I thought it was going to be a very up and down day but surprisingly stable currently.

Most of that rise was out of hours trading. So one of us buying when it opened wouldn't have seen much of that 71%.

Something like, it closed at 193 and opened at 330 (can't remember exactly).

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Most of that rise was out of hours trading. So one of us buying when it opened wouldn't have seen much of that 71%.

Something like, it closed at 193 and opened at 330 (can't remember exactly).
    Yes, I put an order on before I went to bed with FreeTrade at circa 289 and actually opened at 380 with a high of 413.

My trade was blocked though so is now stuck in the app - Great!

Yes, I put an order on before I went to bed with FreeTrade at circa 289 and actually opened at 380 with a high of 413.

It wouldn't have been blocked it just would have been set at 289

Feedback

Thanks but that's not actually the answer to my question. It was more about the mechanism as to how shares rise and fall in price. I know why.
    Generally brokers will set the price based on market trading volumes

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It wouldn't have been blocked it just would have been set at 289
    they put a block on oversea's buy orders before opening, i know as it happened to me

US Buy Orders temp disabled, due to external provider, due to a sudden and expected decision by our FX provider and their bank, to limit our volume of trades, we have been forced to disable buy orders on US stocks today

Generally brokers will set the price based on market trading volumes
    Thanks but that prompts another question. Are multiple brokers involved? If so, how does that work?
    Thanks in advance for the erudition

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they put a block on oversea's buy orders before opening, i know as it happened to me

US Buy Orders temp disabled, due to external provider, due to a sudden and expected decision by our FX provider and their bank, to limit our volume of trades, we have been forced to disable buy orders on US stocks today
    That will just be the one broker won’t it? On HL I could still buy.

It opened higher than it’s been all day too so no one’s missed out. Could have got it at 256 an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That will just be the one broker won’t it? On HL I could still buy.

It opened higher than it’s been all day too so no one’s missed out. Could have got it at 256 an hour ago.
    I meant " they " as in Freetrade as that was who WJ99mobile said he was using

Are you sure you can't cancel it?

Feedback

Thanks but that prompts another question. Are multiple brokers involved? If so, how does that work?
    Thanks in advance for the erudition
    The platform you use will set it own price but they'll be conscious of the price other platform are buying/selling at

Quant traders buy millions of times daily buying and selling the same stock on two different platforms making use of arbitrage.

GME closed at $90 today after a bit of a fire sale

surely the shorts havent been paid off yet as they were for so big ?

The platform you use will set it own price but they'll be conscious of the price other platform are buying/selling at

Quant traders buy millions of times daily buying and selling the same stock on two different platforms making use of arbitrage.
    Thanks for the answer although I'm not sure if I'm any wiser. I could ask how the 'platform' (whatever that is) sets its price but I had better let it go

Academy

Hedge funds versus other hedge funds would be more accurate. Via The Canary:

https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/202...st-got-richer/