+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For those who voted 'to get Brexit done'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: For those who voted 'to get Brexit done'

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't.

And despite your constant complaints about people being lied to, this was made quite clear at every possible moment for over 3 years yet in Dec 2019 people still voted to leave by their actions at the General election.
    And now you'll repeat the not 50% ofthe vote thing again. How many labour governments would we have had if the 50% rule was appled all the time?
    You keep on conflating two different things.

Did people 'vote to leave' by splitting the Remain or 2nd Referendum vote between Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and the nationalists - who together got the majority of votes in the 2019 election?

It is fair to say that Labour took a hit in 2019 because a significant part of their 'red wall' votes from 2017 and earlier went to the Tories mainly in response to 'Get Brexit done'.

But majority of seats for a Brexit Tory party and a majority of votes for parties who held the opposite position can co-exist - and did!

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You keep on conflating two different things.

Did people 'vote to leave' by splitting the Remain or 2nd Referendum vote between Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and the nationalists - who together got the majority of votes in the 2019 election?

It is fair to say that Labour took a hit in 2019 because a significant part of their 'red wall' votes from 2017 and earlier went to the Tories mainly in response to 'Get Brexit done'.

But majority of seats for a Brexit Tory party and a majority of votes for parties who held the opposite position can co-exist - and did!
    People keep quoting this, didn't get 50% of the vote mantra, but we all know that this is the way elections are and always have been decided in this country.
    Yet every time labour, and in this case remainers, lose they trot it out like it's a shock, outrageous and shouldn't be allowed. They just cannot accept that they lost and move on.
    And the longer they are in that mode the longer it will take to have an effectgive opposition in Parliament.
    It really is time to give it a rest.

People keep quoting this, didn't get 50% of the vote mantra, but we all know that this is the way elections are and always have been decided in this country.
    Yet every time labour, and in this case remainers, lose they trot it out like it's a shock, outrageous and shouldn't be allowed. They just cannot accept that they lost and move on.
    And the longer they are in that mode the longer it will take to have an effectgive opposition in Parliament.
    He's not saying that ffs, try and understand it please.

That's why people bring it up; referendums and elections operate differently, so you can't conclude that people voted for Brexit in the General Election just because a pro-Brexit party ended up with more seats.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's why people bring it up; referendums and elections operate differently, so you can't conclude that people voted for Brexit in the General Election just because a pro-Brexit party ended up with more seats.
    No you can't if you refuse to see it. But I think you'll find that largely, the seats in the labour 'red wall' that turned blue whould be found to be in areas where the referendum vote was predominantly to leave.
    But of course Brext had ablsolutely nothing to do with the election result.
    Hasn't it occurred to any remainers that if, as they assert, the referendum and the election result had nothing to do with each other then that means that Boris Joihnson gained his huge majority in spite of Btexit and not because of it. That thought is far more scary than brexit itself.

No you can't if you refuse to see it. But I think you'll find that largely, the seats in the labour 'red wall' that turned blue whould be found to be in areas where the referendum vote was predominantly to leave.
    Hasn't it occurred to any remainers that if, as they assert, the referendum and the election result had nothing to do with each other then that means that Boris Joihnson gained his huge majority in spite of Btexit and not because of it. That thought is far more scary than brexit itself.
    Who has claimed the referendum and election result had nothing to do with each other? They clearly did.

The Tories took votes from Labour mainly because Labour had an incoherent Brexit policy and the Tories had a very simple one which appealed to Brexit supporting previously Labour voters. Brexit was a major factor in the Tories getting an 80 seat majority.

But it is you who keeps using the 2019 election outcome to say that the electorate supported Brexit through their vote. Most didn't.

Most people who voted in 2019 supported parties that wanted to reverse Brexit (Lib Dems) or hold a second referendum on the emerging deal - with a probable recommendation to reject (the others). Most people wanted a second bite at the Brexit question. But it wasn't a Brexit referendum it was a general election - so the 'Get Brexit Done' Tories won the argument at the ballot box.

No remainers are asserting that.

I said you can't make the conclusion that a Tory win meant people voted to leave because it's counted very differently.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No remainers are asserting that.

I said you can't make the conclusion that a Tory win meant people voted to leave because it's counted very differently.
    I know what you said but I think you're wrong.
    how do you know that NO remainers are asserting that/They change their argument every day. And all the insults and vitriol about something they can do nothing about.

I know what you said but I think you're wrong.
    how do you know that NO remainers are asserting that/They change their argument every day. And all the insults and vitriol about something they can do nothing about.
    Ridiculous semantics. I could look at your post:

"Hasn't it occurred to any remainers that if, as they assert, the referendum and the election result had nothing to do with each other"

and suggest that when you say "any remainers/they" you're talking about ALL remainers.

But I won't because they're obviously figures of speech. Let's not sink to this.