+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This Eu vaccine row

This Eu vaccine row

Have I got this right

Astra Zeneca are telling the EU there will be a shortfall of vaccines supplied by some 50,000 vaccines

EU are insisting they want supplies from the British Astra Zeneca factories in the UK diverted to the EU to make up the shortfall and ensure they get their full 80,000 by the end of March.

Which presumably means that they will get their full quota but we will go short.

Even though we signed our contract 3 months earlier (but doesn't matter according to the EU).

Am I missing something???

Re: This Eu vaccine row

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Have I got this right

Astra Zeneca are telling the EU there will be a shortfall of vaccines supplied by some 50,000 vaccines

EU are insisting they want supplies from the British Astra Zeneca factories in the UK diverted to the EU to make up the shortfall and ensure they get their full 80,000 by the end of March.

Which presumably means that they will get their full quota but we will go short.

Even though we signed our contract 3 months earlier (but doesn't matter according to the EU).

And officially, Astra Zeneca has not been approved yet in the EU.
    It seems like the over bureaucratic EU have stumbled

Have I got this right

No I think you pretty much summed it up, at the end of the day they criticised the UK when we approved the vaccine, saying how they will take longer because they have 'higher standards' and now they are crying because we have a 3 month jump on them.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    No I think you pretty much summed it up, at the end of the day they criticised the UK when we approved the vaccine, saying how they will take longer because they have 'higher standards' and now they are crying because we have a 3 month jump on them.
    They also pre ordered it 3 months after we did and have yet to authorise it for use.....

The EU completely ****ed it up and are now kicking their toys out of the pram.

They wanted the same as us despite signing a contract 3 months later and not approving it, AZ said they could have a "best efforts" in their contract and now the EU are kicking up a fuss about it.

Some German paper even printed some "fake news" about the AZ vaccine being low efficiency (only 8%!) in over 65s.

This is a golden example of why we are better off outside of the EU - a gigantic money wasting cabal, unable to make a decision and thinking they can do whatever they like, when they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The EU completely ****ed it up and are now kicking their toys out of the pram.

They wanted the same as us despite signing a contract 3 months later and not approving it, AZ said they could have a "best efforts" in their contract and now the EU are kicking up a fuss about it.

Some German paper even printed some "fake news" about the AZ vaccine being low efficiency (only 8%!) in over 65s.
    Yes apparently this "best efforts" clause is pretty standard in such contracts because producing drugs such as vaccinations is a complex business obviously and the can't always be sure a batch will always pass safety checks. I saw somewhere that at least batch destined for the UK failed at some point in the process.

I'm sure LisvaneBlue could tell us more He is obviously in the know as he was involved in this sort of work.

The uk government also invested heavily in funding the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Did the eu fund it at all? I’m pro eu generally so it’s a genuine question whether they did

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    This is a golden example of why we are better off outside of the EU - a gigantic money wasting cabal, unable to make a decision and thinking they can do whatever they like, when they like.
    Yes I voted Remain ( though once the decision was made I felt it should be accepted ) but some of the EU's actions in the years since make you realise why so many voted to Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    The uk government also invested heavily in funding the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Did the eu fund it at all? I’m pro eu generally so it’s a genuine question whether they did
    I don't think they did but I may have missed something

Being within the EU would not have made any difference to us approving the vaccine, or ordering stocks of it.

If the EU use their greater bargaining power to get hold of supply ahead of us then how will we have been better off out of the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Being within the EU would not have made any difference to us approving the vaccine, or ordering stocks of it.

If the EU use their greater bargaining power to get hold of supply ahead of us then how will we have been better off out of the EU?
    Yes it would. We couldn't have ordered the Astra Zeneca vaccine by ourselves if we had been in the EU as EU states couldn't order vaccines already part of the EU order. We would I think have had to wait for it to go through the EU regulators as well (which it hasn't actually done yet although it is due soon. EU countries can I believe order their own supply of vaccines which are not part of the bulk EU order (I saw somewhere that Hungary has done so.

Who said that the EU with their greater bargaining power is getting supplies earlier than us. The row is because Astra Zeneca are refusing to give the EU supplies ahead of us when we ordered them three months before the EU.

We wouldn't have been able to give the Astra Zeneca vaccines yet if we had been in the EU so we would have done far far less.

Yes it would. We couldn't have ordered the Astra Zeneca vaccine by ourselves if we had been in the EU as EU states couldn't order vaccines already part of the EU order. We would I think have had to wait for it to go through the EU regulators as well (which it hasn't actually done yet although it is due soon. EU countries can I believe order their own supply of vaccines which are not part of the bulk EU order (I saw somewhere that Hungary has done so.

Who said that the EU with their greater bargaining power is getting supplies earlier than us. The row is because Astra Zeneca are refusing to give the EU supplies ahead of us when we ordered them three months before the EU.

We wouldn't have been able to give the Astra Zeneca vaccines yet if we had been in the EU so we would have done far far less.
    We could have ordered and approved the vaccines just as quickly if we were in the EU still.
    The EU rules allow countries to take their own actions in the case of a pandemic.

I don't think so, other countries within the EU have gone off on their own and approved the AZ vaccine, I think Hungary were the first.

Germans aren’t happy.

https://youtu.be/S3tV6I8NPl0

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't think so, other countries within the EU have gone off on their own and approved the AZ vaccine, I think Hungary were the first.
    Didn't we approve the vaccine while still in transition period and therefore still under EU law?

The commentary I've seen, from various sides of political spectrum, says this isn't a good look for the EU at all.

Yes I voted Remain ( though once the decision was made I felt it should be accepted ) but some of the EU's actions in the years since make you realise why so many voted to Leave.
    Elwood it is so refreshing to have a grown up discussion with a former Remainer without being called a right-wing, daily mail reading bigot, which had become rather tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Didn't we approve the vaccine while still in transition period and therefore still under EU law?

The commentary I've seen, from various sides of political spectrum, says this isn't a good look for the EU at all.
    Absolutely. In fact, every time there's been an attempt to pass off something as a beneficial reason for leaving the EU up until we actually left was done under EU legislation, so was really a reason for not leaving.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Elwood it is so refreshing to have a grown up discussion with a former Remainer without being called a right-wing, daily mail reading bigot, which had become rather tiresome.
    Iwas also a pro remainer but once the vote was cast I accepted it and think we should move on.
    Some remainers keep knocking on about it as if they really believe that they can still change the result., and complaining there should have been a second vote because it was so close and people weren't told the truth, which translates as "we will not accpet we lost". It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Iwas also a pro remainer but once the vote was cast I accepted it and think we should move on.
    Some remainers keep knocking on about it as if they really believe that they can still change the result., and complaining there should have been a second vote because it was so close and people weren't told the truth, which translates as "we will not accpet we lost". It's stupid.
    Really? Most remainers I know, including myself, have just kept on demonstrating what a steaming pile of shit Brexit is and how it is negatively affecting people and their livelihoods, as predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    To be fair you are both tories so its more than likely you will agree on almost everything

completely false , the decision to leave Europe was a democratic one but its going to feck us up,the arse and if there is a vote to go back in and I am still alive I will be voting to join .

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    completely false , the decision to leave Europe was a democratic one but its going to feck us up,the arse and if there is a vote to go back in and I am still alive I will be voting to join .
    What is false about it?
    Remember the demonstrations of people trying to force parliament to overturn the will of the people? I bet you agreed with them too. 1 million people in London making it look like they had the majority when in face it was only because those that voted to leave weren't there. They only demanded a revote because they lost, if they had won by the same margin you woudn't have heard a peep!! That's the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

When we were in the EU the medicines approval process was via the EMA, an EU body that was based in UK. Now we are out UK MHRA is responsible.

However, we were still in EU when MHRA approved Pfizer and AZ vaccines. This is allowed in extreme circumstances and the licenses are 'emergency licenses'.

The EU are kicking up a fuss because they contracted with AZ for supply and because of upscaling issues AZ can't fulfil the required quantities immediately.

I've no doubt that AZ would have included a 'best efforts' clause in the contract because of the complex manufacturing and supply chain. Additionally because the vaccine only has a 6 month shelf life they aren't going produce huge volumes until the product as been approved for use in Europe.

There is also a restriction of supply from Pfizer which could impact on UK as well as EU whilst they increase production capacity at their manufacturing site in Belgium.

So EU not happy and they seem to have already forgotten that without the hard work of the Pharma research scientists there would no vaccine for anyone.

Quite right xsnaggle.

I voted to leave but never felt the need to crow about the result. Whether the decision to leave turns out to be the right one in the long term remains to be seen but as long as some remainers continue to poor scorn over the result and defy the will of the people there will always be disharmony in the country.