+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This Eu vaccine row

Re: This Eu vaccine row

Basically the only people that don't see this as a win for Brexit Britain are the british?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Basically the only people that don't see this as a win for Brexit Britain are the british?
    Hardly a win for anybody really, it's all a bit like the best looking competition in the burns unit.....

Lets be fair its in everyone's interest that the globe gets vaccinated so we all benefit .

Europe has let itself down in my opinion this week, we need to now share if we can to the third world and vulnerable and get away from vaccine political nationalism that was played out this week.

A few facts have emerged today about the contract between Astra Zeneca and the EU which regards Britain as part of the EU. That might have been the case prior to the 1 January but isn't true now. The terms of any contract are within the walls of the agreed document. Were the UK consulted before the contract was signed? I doubt it.

Surely if the UK, as a theoretical Party to the contract, didn't agree to the terms then we should have been excluded from it meaning the EU's claims that they have a right to control vaccine manufactured in the UK can't be correct. Additionally the EU/AZ contract requires AZ to make their reasonable best efforts to deliver X number of doses but without specificity that total is meaningless. In short the EU are looking for ways to divert attention away from a foul up of their own making.

International

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55844268

Some interesting points in here.

I noted the comment about the EU trying to force them to provide vaccine on the strength of the large donation they gave to development, when in fact the biggest part of the promised money had not been handed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A few facts have emerged today about the contract between Astra Zeneca and the EU which regards Britain as part of the EU. That might have been the case prior to the 1 January but isn't true now. The terms of any contract are within the walls of the agreed document. Were the UK consulted before the contract was signed? I doubt it.

Surely if the UK, as a theoretical Party to the contract, didn't agree to the terms then we should have been excluded from it meaning the EU's claims that they have a right to control vaccine manufactured in the UK can't be correct. Additionally the EU/AZ contract requires AZ to make their reasonable best efforts to deliver X number of doses but without specificity that total is meaningless. In short the EU are looking for ways to divert attention away from a foul up of their own making.
    This getting very messy. I’ve read the Eu/AZ contract and the best efforts clause of course, there is an initial allocation clause as well and the current issue is around this allocation. There is provision included re manufacturing issues at AZ European plants, but unfortunately for this section of the contract, with specific attention drawn to it, AZ has included the UK plant as an Eu plant....and of course we have no production issues.
    The Eu has also stopped exports of Eu manufactured Covid jabs, which includes Pfizer. And in very confrontational act has stopped shipments of vaccines through Northern Ireland, effectively reintroducing a hard border

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    This getting very messy. I’ve read the Eu/AZ contract and the best efforts clause of course, there is an initial allocation clause as well and the current issue is around this allocation. There is provision included re manufacturing issues at AZ European plants, but unfortunately for this section of the contract, with specific attention drawn to it, AZ has included the UK plant as an Eu plant....and of course we have no production issues.
    The Eu has also stopped exports of Eu manufactured Covid jabs, which includes Pfizer. And in very confrontational act has stopped shipments of vaccines through Northern Ireland, effectively reintroducing a hard border
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-no...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Mr Biden will not like this happening in his beloved Ireland

Mr Biden will not like this happening in his beloved Ireland
    I think that The EU has cocked up massively with such pettiness.
    Their true colours are never very far from the surface but this decision is disappointing to even the most dogmatic of FBPE’ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think that The EU has cocked up massively with such pettiness.
    Their true colours are never very far from the surface but this decision is disappointing to even the most dogmatic of FBPE’ers.
    I agree. Just a couple pf months ago they were warning us that our approval process was too quick and not robust. Best to take time with a comprehensive evaluation process even if to takes more time they said.
    Their attitude now changed with time of the essence and they won't tolerate any sort of delay in supply.

I agree. Just a couple pf months ago they were warning us that our approval process was too quick and not robust. Best to take time with a comprehensive evaluation process even if to takes more time they said.
    Their attitude now changed with time of the essence and they won't tolerate any sort of delay in supply.
    It appears that they never even spoke to The Irish Government before acting.

😳

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-no...mpression=true

Sky News are reporting that the EU are about to announce they have backed down from using Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol. What this means in practice remains a mystery.

This thread seems to be a little quieter this evening.

Strange that, considering the monumental bombshell dropped earlier and the subsequent backpedaling.

Has to be worthy of a comment or three in a thread that was popping last night.

What the EU was quoted as saying in the news item as to their reason for overiding the Irish Protocol by taking the powers to stop Vaccines poing th Northern Ireland

"This is justified as a safeguard measure pursuant to Article 16 of that Protocol in order to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of the vaccination campaigns in the Member States."

What they actually meant was

"We messed up our vaccine supply and we are now trying to blame anyone else we can particularly the UK"

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What the EU was quoted as saying in the news item as to their reason for overiding the Irish Protocol by taking the powers to stop Vaccines poing th Northern Ireland

"This is justified as a safeguard measure pursuant to Article 16 of that Protocol in order to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of the vaccination campaigns in the Member States."

What they actually meant was

"We messed up our vaccine supply and we are now trying to blame anyone else we can particularly the UK"
    Succinctly put.
    Any counters to this?
    Bueller...Bueller...

Clocks must have gone forward.
    No doubt there will be plenty of bright, eager “FBPE” warriors happy to slay “The Gammon” in the morning.

Europe has retreated on article 16 after a massive backlash .

God they really have embarrassed themselves.

Sadly Macron the ( poor loser ) is still dissing our vaccine , he's starting to sound like a European Trump anti-vaxxer .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Europe has retreated on article 16 after a massive backlash .

God they really have embarrassed themselves.

Sadly Macron the ( poor loser ) is still dissing our vaccine , he's starting to sound like a European Trump anti-vaxxer .
    Sorry for being pedantic, but it is important to distinct between Europe and The EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? Most remainers I know, including myself, have just kept on demonstrating what a steaming pile of shit Brexit is and how it is negatively affecting people and their livelihoods, as predicted.
    What a load of bollox. It was, and still is, a corrupt organisation. They are already showing their true colours over this vaccine situation.
    Take of your “we are doomed sandwich board” and give it a rest.

well we have left Europe now , people got what they wanted

So whinge all you want about how nasty they are , too late now , nothing to do with me , I voted to stay

If Britain was in Europe and strong then .....

But there you go

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

So whinge all you want about how nasty they are , too late now , nothing to do with me , I voted to stay

But there you go
    We wouldn’t have the vaccines we have now.

But there you go
    It sounds selfish but Europe was supposed to be purely a self preservation body.

The benefits have ebbed away and is now more about giving than taking for certain members.

The argument all along was .....its better to be in this huge market , right on our doorstep and saying we are a major economy , this is the score , than outside letting the fat cats rule

Well you voted out

Too late now

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It sounds selfish but Europe was supposed to be purely a self preservation body.

The benefits have ebbed away and is now more about giving than taking for certain members.
    well the flaws with the EU were obvious and things needed to change

But we have left now

well the flaws with the EU were obvious and things needed to change

But we have left now
    Hand on heart do you honestly believe that the UK had any clout when we were in the EU ?

If you remember Cameron sought to get concessions from the EU whilst we were in the organisation. It was widely reported that his efforts failed miserably and he was then surprised that the referendum result didn't go the way he was expecting.

In or out we were never strong enough to influence the way the EU was being run.