+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This Eu vaccine row

Re: This Eu vaccine row

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Clocks must have gone forward.
    No doubt there will be plenty of bright, eager “FBPE” warriors happy to slay “The Gammon” in the morning.
    i see I didn't misjudge you at all.

The EU have got this wrong, I think almost everyone agrees on it, but it's interesting to see Leave voters and/or supporters descending on this one thread like hungry pigs around a trough - it rather tends to support the notion that there's been little or nothing before now to get their teeth into.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Hand on heart do you honestly believe that the UK had any clout when we were in the EU ?

If you remember Cameron sought to get concessions from the EU whilst we were in the organisation. It was widely reported that his efforts failed miserably and he was then surprised that the referendum result didn't go the way he was expecting.

In or out we were never strong enough to influence the way the EU was being run.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/...an-recognised/

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    well the flaws with the EU were obvious and things needed to change

But we have left now
    Well that was part of the preoblem Sudge. Cameron tried hard to change them and failed.
    Largely due to France as usual.

Did Cameron fail? I thought we managed to make quite a difference during that stage?

Have you actually read that ? It's littered with references to the 1970's and 80's. The authors really are clutching at straws in trying to emphasise the UK's influence in Europe. It has been been waning for many, many years.

Indeed. We were members of the club (with all the benefits it bestowed) but had every opportunity to walk away from the things we didn't like. It was almost like having the cake and eating it. Or to articulate it better, from your article,

"And on those occasions where the UK really was uncomfortable with the direction of travel taken by its partners, it proved highly successful in negotiating effective opt-outs. These can arguably traced back to its 1978-9 decision to refrain from participating fully in the European Monetary System and proliferated during the 1990s and the first years of the 21st century, eventually covering Euro membership, participation in Schengen, and important aspects of justice and home affairs provisions".

Having said that, the actions of the EU (which they backed away from after all of 2 hours) were quite shocking and politically motivated. They have acted too slowly and too cautiously regarding vaccines and backed the wrong ones.

Don't forget that our government did not pick a winner. They pretty much bought any vaccine going... it was like betting on all the horses in the race and then saying you won. Will we be paying for this for years to come?.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I

Don't forget that our government did not pick a winner. They pretty much bought any vaccine going... it was like betting on all the horses in the race and then saying you won. Will we be paying for this for years to come?.
    I don't think for a minute that is correct as there are over 50 vaccines in development.

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articl...accine-tracker

I think the UK have ordered six.

https://www.cityam.com/which-covid-v...nment-ordered/

Have you actually read that ? It's littered with references to the 1970's and 80's. The authors really are clutching at straws in trying to emphasise the UK's influence in Europe. It has been been waning for many, many years.
    Yes I read it. Thanks for asking.

The UK was semi detached in the EU around a few issues but for most of the time of UK membership we were one of the big beasts in the union, a net contributor, and a major influence on evolving EU policy. I can't find the summary of EU policies that was posted and discussed on here a few years back - but it showed the UK voted for the vast majority of EU policies and laws. That didn't stop Brexiteers making out that the UK was constantly a victim of an alien organisation and 'they' were always doing things to 'us'. Wasn't true, but played very well to Little Englander sensibilities.

Anyway, we are out and will have to make the best of it. The Commission has cocked it up with vaccine procurement and the botched threat of Article 16, but that doesn't define the EU, the UK performance on Covid or the main costs or benefits of Brexit.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Did Cameron fail? I thought we managed to make quite a difference during that stage?
    Yes he failed in so much as he did not achieve all that he hoped to achieve. That is what instigated the initial promise to hold a referendum. If the EU had been more flexcible or giving none of this would have happened.

and of course there would be no vaccine fight because as part of the club Ukwould not have orderd their 100,0000,000 first so there would be no argument over the EU not getting enough, they'd have our allocation too.

The EU didn't only cock up in relation to Article 16; they also were mistaken in relation to contract law according to a Commercial lawyer. This is an extract from a very long article.

[I]While European ministers have publicly insisted that they are entitled to jabs under the terms of the AstraZeneca contract, Steven Barrett - a respected commercial lawyer with the Radcliffe Chambers - told MailOnline that it actually shows the opposite.

'The EU's public position is legally unsustainable, and they have made public comments that are demonstrably wrong,' he said.

Pulling apart the EU contract, Mr Barrett pointed to section 5.1 as the most damning, saying that it 'clearly shows' the company is only under a 'Best Reasonable Effort' clause to supply the EU - as boss Pascal Soriot has stated.

While section 5.4 does state that factories in the UK are considered to be part of the EU under the terms of the contract, he called this 'a distraction' that 'is not relevant to the EU's point'.

'This is actually a mildly embarrassing climbdown from the EU, who have a rule that all vaccines used in the EU have to be made in the EU.

'What they have done in that clause is say, for the purposes of this contract, the UK counts as the EU.' But, he added, it does not mean they are entitled to doses made in UK factories.] In addition, clause 6.2 of the contract states that 'competing agreements' signed by AstraZeneca might affect the supply of vaccines to the EU.

'They knew there would be competing agreements,' Mr Barrett said. 'Everyone in the world knew there would be competing agreements. They knew that might mean doses were delayed.

'I believe the EU is publicly asserting that it now has a right to jump the queue and take doses that belong to other people. That is expressly wrong,' he added.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

The UK was semi detached in the EU around a few issues but for most of the time of UK membership we were one of the big beasts in the union, a net contributor, and a major influence on evolving EU policy. I can't find the summary of EU policies that was posted and discussed on here a few years back - but it showed the UK voted for the vast majority of EU policies and laws. That didn't stop Brexiteers making out that the UK was constantly a victim of an alien organisation and 'they' were always doing things to 'us'. Wasn't true, but played very well to Little Englander sensibilities.

Anyway, we are out and will have to make the best of it. The Commission has cocked it up with vaccine procurement and the botched threat of Article 16, but that doesn't define the EU, the UK performance on Covid or the main costs or benefits of Brexit.
    A very well balanced response until your jibe about Little Englanders betrayed your true feelings to those UK citizens who did not share your point of view.

It's quite noticeable that most Brexiteers were/are critical of the EU but seldom of those people who opted to stay in the organisation. So why is it that some Remainers feel compelled to drag things down to a personal level and consistently pour scorn on in those that decided to leave ?

International

A very well balanced response until your jibe about Little Englanders betrayed your true feelings to those UK citizens who did not share your point of view.

It's quite noticeable that most Brexiteers were/are critical of the EU but seldom of those people who opted to stay in the organisation. So why is it that some Remainers feel compelled to drag things down to a personal level and consistently pour scorn on in those that decided to leave ?
    They betray their own intolerance and ignorance by seeking to besmirch those that do not agree with them with the same qualities.

Are you taking the piss ?

The vitriol thrown at those that voted to leave was that many were lefty Liberal snowflake woke types

The country is split down the middle , quite literally with the vote , to suggest it is the brexit camp that gets all the slanging is daft

Anyway , get on with it as a contributor on here often says

I am off out to buy some frozen veg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

bloody wishy washy Liberal

I don't think all Brexit supporters are Little Englanders. Far from it. The Brexit supporters I know have more in common with Dennis Skinner than Jacob Rees-Mogg. I disagree (on balance) with them but in most cases respect them.

But I do think the narrative that the UK was held hostage in a hostile organisation - the one amplified by the Tory press for 30 years - is exactly pitched at Little Englander views and sensibilities. And yes, I feel nothing but scorn for the ERG, the rabid Tory press, and anyone who buys into that false and pathetic faux victimhood.

bloody wishy washy Liberal

International

Are you taking the piss ?

The vitriol thrown at those that voted to leave was that many were lefty Liberal snowflake woke types

The country is split down the middle , quite literally with the vote , to suggest it is the brexit camp that gets all the slanging is daft

Anyway , get on with it as a contributor on here often says

I am off out to buy some frozen veg
    You just argued against your own point in the same post. that was dexterous even for you sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    i see I didn't misjudge you at all.

The EU have got this wrong, I think almost everyone agrees on it, but it's interesting to see Leave voters and/or supporters descending on this one thread like hungry pigs around a trough - it rather tends to support the notion that there's been little or nothing before now to get their teeth into.
    I agree that it was classless.
    I had a drop on and have just been infuriated with the rhetoric and the (backpedalled) action from The EU.

Hands up, against my better judgement I am guilty of being part of the problem of partisanship in this instance.

It really is like a red flag to a bull to me.

Sorry for adding fuel to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I agree that it was classless.
    I had a drop on and have just been infuriated with the rhetoric and the (backpedalled) action from The EU.

Hands up, against my better judgement I am guilty of being part of the problem of partisanship in this instance.

It really is like a red flag to a bull to me.

Sorry for adding fuel to the fire.

Getting confused with all of the misjudgements now, but, if you think what you said last night was classless, you been classy today - well done

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Getting confused with all of the misjudgements now, but, if you think what you said last night was classless, you been classy today - well done
    👍👍

The EU have achieved the impossible and made the UK government look composed and professional.

Because in most cases when something is lost some move to personal jibes and nastiness via thier frothy keyboards.

This week the European Parliament has been exposed for what it us a controlling bully .

It was the same with Brexit vote.

And antisemitism.

Instead of embracing the loss, change or fault it seems the only way out is personal abuse .

Climbing on top of a pile of dead bodies to plant a flag as if its some sort of victory is ****ing wild, but fair play.

The EU is wrong on this, end of.

If Covid wasn't on the front page in the UK, maybe people would understand what an absolutely dogs dinner the transition is.

Read this thread, still unsure who's the tallest dwarf ...?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Because in most cases when something is lost some move to personal jibes and nastiness via thier frothy keyboards.

This week the European Parliament has been exposed for what it us a controlling bully .

It was the same with Brexit vote.

And antisemitism.

Instead of embracing the loss, change or fault it seems the only way out is personal abuse .
    Whats antisemitism got to do with our relationship with the EU ?

Brexit divided the country , I think it was an insane decision but there you go

When you leave your wife you don't expect her to be nice to you

This is just the start

The utter nonsense of an island that has a border in its top corner being at the front of this mess is exactly why we should have stayed in the EU in the first place

But there you go , those that have voted for a free United Kingdom can point out all these faults and what a bully boy Europe is all day , it doesn't matter

In 20 years we may have some idea of how things stand but the portent is a shitstorm without us in there , the views of economic analysts far more in touch than most of us on here .

International

Whats antisemitism got to do with our relationship with the EU ?

Brexit divided the country , I think it was an insane decision but there you go

When you leave your wife you don't expect her to be nice to you

This is just the start

The utter nonsense of an island that has a border in its top corner being at the front of this mess is exactly why we should have stayed in the EU in the first place

But there you go , those that have voted for a free United Kingdom can point out all these faults and what a bully boy Europe is all day , it doesn't matter

In 20 years we may have some idea of how things stand but the portent is a shitstorm without us in there , the views of economic analysts far more in touch than most of us on here .
    Had we stayed in the EU. for whatever reasons, it would not have been better for us in this particular instance.

If we were still in the EU the we may not have funded the development of this vaccine and it may not yet be available. The Eu shouted about paying for the development but in reality they promised to pay but still owe a chunk of what they promised.
    And assuming it was still developed at the same rate we would still be worse off. We would have had to let the EU do our purchasing for us and the 100,000,000 Astrazenica vaccine we now have access to would not be ours. If the EU had puchased that amount over what they have it would have been spread over 28 countries and we would now be in the same place as France Spain and Portugal, having to suspend vaccinations for the lack of them due to the EU Commissions incompetence.

There is no way that you can possibly polish this EU turd sludge.

And did you register that the first country they lashed out at was the UK, as they usually do, just because we got this particular thing right and they cocked it up royally?
    In the process they revealed that all their posturing about preserving the NI accord was just bullshit and was used as a delaying tactic because they thought we would close the boarders. But when they thought they were losing out they sought to do it themselves without a moments thought. They didn't even consult their own governments, they just did it.
    knee jerk reaction by incompetent aparatchiks.