+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 MILLWALL. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 MILLWALL. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I thought he was very inarticulate and totally unsuited to the role.
    He wasn't great, although he was critical on times, not just on passages of play, but of individuals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The main culprit is Morrison, his awful header put us in that position. I'm sure Flint could have done a lot better but every time he breathes its wrong while the whole of our team bar Moore have been a shocking all season and most are getting away with murder on here. Flint and Bennett get so much stick while the rest of the side have been terrible.
    With hindsight, Morrison should have just taken the (extremely) easy option, and just headed it out. He tried to keep the ball alive, and their player seized on it unfortunately. Our 2 “wingbacks” never really got going today, a poor OG, and we missed 2 sitters.... let’s hope we can get it right against Bristol next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Smithies told flint to slice the ball off his right peg in at the near post, a bit of play that the most sublime player on earth wouldn't create in 9 lifetimes. Smithies would have given one of two shouts, 'Time' which translates to take a touch, or 'Away' which means row z. Even if he didn't give a shout then what Flint managed to produce would have physicists the world over scratching their heads.
    Time or away shouted when the Millwall player is in possession. That is a new one on me.
    Pedro is saying he should have shouted something when the Millwall player was in possession. We were actively trying to track back and dispossess him already. Freak goal and Morrison to blame for creating the bad situation and without Flint's input it doesn't go in.

Out of Morrison, Flint and Smithies then to somehow blame Smithies is baffling. Now I would be blaming him if he hugged the post and was ridiculously out of place had the ball made it across the six yard box. That would have been a mistake in my mind. Apparently hugging the post is what he should have done though according to some.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v MILLWALL. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I could half understand if Wilson had been lighting it up in games. He hasn't. He's been distinctly average.

Easiest thing in the world to point something out in hindsight. It is a good spell in a more than often average spell at the club for Wilson.
    I completely agree. I am warming to how MM is assessing the squad, giving youngsters the opportunity to be around the match day squad and how he is handling the media. His assessments of games to date seem frank, honest and on point. His appointment didn't set my pulse racing but as the days go by I'm starting to think that it's actually a savvy appointment by the club.

It's Flints fault by a country mile. Smithies didn't make him defend like a twat Smithies didn't put him square on with no ability to adjust his feet, resulting in something that you would see on the parks. All smithies did was anticipate Flint not making the clearance, not slicing it off his right peg at the near post.
    No blame attached to Smithies at all for that goal. I just thank god we've got him.

While I agree that Flint did himself no favours, I think Smithies could and should have waited a moment longer before committing to the direction he took.

Any team who feels compelled to play Flint has no right to be anywhere higher than 20th. I can’t believe how awful this season is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    I completely agree. I am warming to how MM is assessing the squad, giving youngsters the opportunity to be around the match day squad and how he is handling the media. His assessments of games to date seem frank, honest and on point. His appointment didn't set my pulse racing but as the days go by I'm starting to think that it's actually a savvy appointment by the club.
    I agree with the mindset of giving players a chance but also feel that it is critical that MM has to be very cut throat and it should be very much a sink or swim attitude.

If players are not up to it in training and more importantly on matchday then they should be out of the team and told in no uncertain terms why they aren't being picked. Sadly I think a lot of our squad wouldn't be bothered either way.

Some of the players who are being talked of being in talks to sign new contracts are the exact dead wood that need releasing. Tying them down to longer deals only serves to prolong the bad performance of the club. Yes, if you let players go then you are light in that position but that is when you go and sign a better replacement. Without a change in personnel little will change. Some managers have had their shortcomings but some players are getting away scot free with dishing out poor to average performances week after week without any consequences.

The usual suspects at it again I see. We’d have a new manager every month if it was left to some of you lot.

Absolutely pathetic. Don’t know the meaning of the word “supporter”.

Smithies told flint to slice the ball off his right peg in at the near post, a bit of play that the most sublime player on earth wouldn't create in 9 lifetimes. Smithies would have given one of two shouts, 'Time' which translates to take a touch, or 'Away' which means row z. Even if he didn't give a shout then what Flint managed to produce would have physicists the world over scratching their heads.
    I haven't seen it yet but you've set the scene nicely and I'm really looking forward to seeing Flint's 'worldy' later 😊

Time or away shouted when the Millwall player is in possession. That is a new one on me.
    Pedro is saying he should have shouted something when the Millwall player was in possession. We were actively trying to track back and dispossess him already. Freak goal and Morrison to blame for creating the bad situation and without Flint's input it doesn't go in.

Out of Morrison, Flint and Smithies then to somehow blame Smithies is baffling. Now I would be blaming him if he hugged the post and was ridiculously out of place had the ball made it across the six yard box. That would have been a mistake in my mind. Apparently hugging the post is what he should have done though according to some.
    When Flint received the cross, if smithies had given a shout it would have been one or the other, probably 'Away', the millwall player was no longer in possession. Flint was in the correct position, he just completely ****ed it up, Morrison didn't help, but **** me, this isn't difficult. Flint was presented with an opportunity to clear the ball and he screwed up no end. He wasn't even facing his own goal

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but you've set the scene nicely and I'm really looking forward to seeing Flint's 'worldy' later ��
    Mate, Messi couldn't do what Flint did if he played until he was 80. Flint wasn't helped by Morrison though.

Another point towards survival.

It wasn't great but then it wasn't before he came and the players have to look at themselves as well.

We still have a midfield that achieves very little game after game and is hardly ever changed. We need something in there badly and have done for some time. It isn't a problem that has crept up on us. It has been glaringly obvious for anybody to see.

Not sure what the 3 centre halves achieves if I'm honest and especially when the third one is the gaff prone Aden Flint.
    Don't forget it was Morrisons's mistake that led to the cross that Flint turned in.

When Flint received the cross, if smithies had given a shout it would have been one or the other, probably 'Away', the millwall player was no longer in possession. Flint was in the correct position, he just completely ****ed it up, Morrison didn't help, but **** me, this isn't difficult. Flint was presented with an opportunity to clear the ball and he screwed up no end. He wasn't even facing his own goal
    And that is the deciding factor here. Flint pulls out a typical bit of Flint play again.

He could have shouted "Aden, don't slice the ball into your own net from a ridiculous angle while facing the other way" and it would have resulted in the exact same thing happening.

I think I momentarily laughed when it went in. It was so ridiculously Flint and so typically City at the moment. Just the manner it was conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Don't forget it was Morrisons's mistake that led to the cross that Flint turned in.
    Totally.

I think the performances of Morrison since he has been here aren't on the same planet as the level Flint has been at during his time here. My opinion on Flint is not formed on one own goal but being consistently bad for me. Again my opinion.
    No doubt JR or somebody will paint him as a long haired Beckenbauer type character because I am not a fan but it is what it is.

Totally.

I think the performances of Morrison since he has been here aren't on the same planet as the level Flint has been at during his time here. My opinion on Flint is not formed on one own goal but being consistently bad for me. Again my opinion.
    No doubt JR or somebody will paint him as a long haired Beckenbauer type character because I am not a fan but it is what it is.
    You’re not fully grasping the purpose of the ignore function are you Lewj?

Says he’s put me on ignore but keeps bringing me up. Bizarre.

I'm sure JR's response is as insightful as ever.

Is he pro McCarthy yet after slagging him off last week?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Wasn’t it Steve Morrison our youth coach?

I wondered if it was him, but I thought we’d got rid of all Harris’s cockney mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I wondered if it was him, but I thought we’d got rid of all Harris’s cockney mafia.
    He's still there, under 23 coach, not youth.

Jed Wallace is some player.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Jed Wallace is some player.
    He is indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I thought he was very inarticulate and totally unsuited to the role.
    At the start of the game I could have sworn he said it would be a “war of nutrition”

His cockneyisms grated a little and, given his Millwall connections, I think he wanted to over emphasize the fact he was supporting us. But apart from that, he was the first commentator I've heard this season to actually analyze the issues in our play.

He pointed out (correctly) why the attacks kept breaking down as no player was making movements to the corner of the box. This was forcing Morrison to go inside or pinning the winning backs too far wide. He also wasn't afraid to criticize the team or individuals, which is usually anathema on the club commentary. He pointed out that everybody was too far away from Moore. That we were too passive out of possession. That there wasn't enough urgency when moving the ball. To the point where I wonder if it wouldn't have just been cheaper and easier to give him the job as a caretaker.

Certainly far more interesting and insightful to listen to than Jason f**King Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Flint is awful though. He's an absolute disaster if you get him moving back towards his own goal.

I though that Ralls was really poor today as well. What has happened to him? He should have got the hook instead of Bacuna and even Vaulks looked quite good in comparison.
    All three for replacement in midfield.
    Our tactic of playing 3 at the back would be a dream for most opposition, who do their homework.
    All three are slow, cumbersome and have little/no ability on the ball. Play a couple of quick forwards and focus on keeping the ball on the floor and we would concede bucket loads of goals.

Apart from Smithies and Moore, I don’t think there is a stand out player worth holding onto