+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AO washing machine delivery

AO washing machine delivery

Great lads , bloke from canton with bluebird tattoo, not happy with McCarthy appointment

Moved up to pontypridd , owned a garage but had to close down due to covid

His sidekick was from pontyclun , used to work for Amazon , who he said were terrible to work for

AO are massive and have cleaned out the competition

Which is great for the consumer but crap for the workers and the former workers that used to make washing machines .

Everything is made in China

AO have a distribution centre in Bridgend , these lads who deliver washing machines etc are not employed by AO , they are self employed

And they are on 9 quid an hour 😳

They work long hours and often 6 day weeks

Amazon , AO , its all the same

They got a twenty each from me for their kids

What a bloody mess this world is in

Re: AO washing machine delivery

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Great lads , bloke from canton with bluebird tattoo, not happy with McCarthy appointment

Moved up to pontypridd , owned a garage but had to close down due to covid

His sidekick was from pontyclun , used to work for Amazon , who he said were terrible to work for

AO are massive and have cleaned out the competition

Which is great for the consumer but crap for the workers and the former workers that used to make washing machines .

Everything is made in China

AO have a distribution centre in Bridgend , these lads who deliver washing machines etc are not employed by AO , they are self employed

And they are on 9 quid an hour 😳

They work long hours and often 6 day weeks

Amazon , AO , its all the same

They got a twenty each from me for their kids

What a bloody mess this world is in
    I heard that two washing machine delivery chaps were paid to tell their life stories to a weirdo who they had to deliver to.

Just teasing, old fruit 😊

Good on you for helping these men

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I heard that two washing machine delivery chaps were paid to tell their life stories to a weirdo who they had to deliver to.

Just teasing, old fruit 😊
    They were very fast , almost as if they couldn't wait to get out of here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Good on you for helping these men
    What alternative is there to buying from these horrible monsters like AO and Amazon ?

What alternative is there to buying from these horrible monsters like AO and Amazon ?
    Well done Sludge. This so called gig economy is a disgrace.
    Daughter needed new washing machine urgently recently. On my suggestion went local and had same day delivery with machine they wanted at a good price.
    It is worth trying local first.

Bought my last dishwasher from Budds in Birchgrove, Cardiff. They installed it aswell.

There are alternatives out there, but not many these days unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Bought my last dishwasher from Budds in Birchgrove, Cardiff. They installed it aswell.

There are alternatives out there, but not many these days unfortunately.
    Thanks for that , I will call them when my fridge needs replacing

Only so many body parts you can store away

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Well done Sludge. This so called gig economy is a disgrace.
    Daughter needed new washing machine urgently recently. On my suggestion went local and had same day delivery with machine they wanted at a good price.
    It is worth trying local first.
    just read post , will do so next time

Its a viscious circle though isn't it

I used to get my fishing stuff locally but they don't have the stock places like Glasgow Angling Centre do , who are the amazon of the fishing tackle world

If you want local, I would recommend Budd Electrical.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Got it book marked mate

Nice one

I always go to Richer sounds in canton.
    Recently bought a TV and a sonos sound bar.

As they say shop independent

Someone said to me the other day go to appliances direct !

Who are basically a clone of ao

while buying local is great, they have to at least come close in price, i mentioned the old boy i got a washing machine for before christmas in the other thread

he got a local firm out, cost £ 45 callout to start ( they were local in our town and called in whilst driving past )

they said it could be repaired but would be better to get a new one, gave him a price of a cheapo washing machine of £ 260 ( so 80 more than AO )

now here is the kicker, they would charge £ 45 to fit the new machine ( its a 1/2 hour job, but £ 45 isnt out of this world i guess )
    then £ 90 to remove and recycle the old washing machine

So we have £ 45 call out to start
    260 for the machine, 45 to fit, 90 to remove the old one
    £ 440 , job done

AO did it for 35 for removing and fitting new, 20 to recycle the old one, 180 for the machine

£235 for a very similar basic washing machine

£205 extra for the " supporting your local business's " they at least need to start to come close

The problem today is that folk are lazy and don't want to source alternatives, so they fall into the well merchandised suppliers like Amazon or AO but let's not fool ourselves they are just grown up versions of Freeman's and Littlewords catalogues , so no real change in customer habits.

Yes we could get rid of these global players but it would take a big effort from everyone.

The gig economy has around 5 million employee's and growing , it does suite some folk lives .

LOM how do you class the gig economy and where do you arrive with the 5 million mark ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    LOM how do you class the gig economy and where do you arrive with the 5 million mark ?
    The TUC estimated it at 4.7million and growing in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I always go to Richer sounds in canton.
    Recently bought a TV and a sonos sound bar.

As they say shop independent
    Last time I was in Canton a few weeks ago they were closed.

Good on you Sludge. That little bit of kindness probably went a long way. Important to be kind to the people that are hit the hardest by this pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Good on you Sludge. That little bit of kindness probably went a long way. Important to be kind to the people that are hit the hardest by this pandemic
    one of them was a city fan

It was my duty

God told me to do it

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The problem today is that folk are lazy and don't want to source alternatives, so they fall into the well merchandised suppliers like Amazon or AO but let's not fool ourselves they are just grown up versions of Freeman's and Littlewords catalogues , so no real change in customer habits.

Yes we could get rid of these global players but it would take a big effort from everyone.

The gig economy has around 5 million employee's and growing , it does suite some folk lives .
    It does indeed. My wife along with several friends I know who have 'downsized' work-wise in recent years have found the flexibility of zero-hours contracts a god send. They can pick hours to suit other activities and commitments and employers have a bank of people they can call on additionally when they need them. When Labour politicians were screaming for the abolition of zero hr contracts they were aghast - without them they'd struggle to find suitable work. Purely political of course..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It does indeed. My wife along with several friends I know who have 'downsized' work-wise in recent years have found the flexibility of zero-hours contracts a god send. They can pick hours to suit other activities and commitments and employers have a bank of people they can call on additionally when they need them. When Labour politicians were screaming for the abolition of zero hr contracts they were aghast - without them they'd struggle to find suitable work. Purely political of course..
    It doesn't suit the army of people who have no security of work

OK if you are are a student or not the main breadwinner

It doesn't suit the army of people who have no security of work

OK if you are are a student or not the main breadwinner
    People on zero hour contracts have the same employment rights - including redundancy, pensions - as someone with fixed hours. Larger organizations with flexible demand need to have a number of employees on zero hrs - it works for both parties. True there are those who haven't the security of hours offered that they would like, but for most they wouldn't change things..

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Budd Electrical and/or Radiocract. As cheap as AO and happy to carry up stairs and take old away for relatively little !

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    People on zero hour contracts have the same employment rights - including redundancy, pensions - as someone with fixed hours. Larger organizations with flexible demand need to have a number of employees on zero hrs - it works for both parties. True there are those who haven't the security of hours offered that they would like, but for most they wouldn't change things..
    Any evidence for zero hour contracts being popular for the majority?