+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Harry Arter

Re: Harry Arter

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Warnock had a 7 year deal at 48.5k lined up for him
    Thing is, we can't blame Warnock for that kind of think. Managers generally last less than 2 years in a job. Many of them aren't going to care if they're saddling the club with years of using up their whole wage bill for players who won't play - if they can get the best players for the season they are in. If they have one good year they'll get a job elsewhere and the mess will be someone else's problem.
    The fault lies with the people who allow them to behave like that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d say Arter is the sort of player who doesn’t have much to offer once his legs start to go and he’s at that stage now. Some of the comments earlier were a bit harsh I thought because I thought though, he was excellent in the season Bournemouth won the league. I also thought he did a decent job when he was here, but, despite us having a footballer in midfield in Camarasa the balance, in true Cardiff style, wasn’t right.
    Absolutely this

Just to cast him aside with a label as 'shit footballer' does him a massive disservice.

But I wouldn't like us to sign him

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Thing is, we can't blame Warnock for that kind of think. Managers generally last less than 2 years in a job. Many of them aren't going to care if they're saddling the club with years of using up their whole wage bill for players who won't play - if they can get the best players for the season they are in. If they have one good year they'll get a job elsewhere and the mess will be someone else's problem.
    Again another top post

With so much money at stake these days I wonder how long the traditional manager will be in place and more along the lines of coaches and committees as some of the amercian sports do

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Again another top post

With so much money at stake these days I wonder how long the traditional manager will be in place and more along the lines of coaches and committees as some of the amercian sports do

Yeah well you can see how stoic MM is about the possibility that they’ll sell his best player off without telling him.
    Most previous managers would have been going mental at the very suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd say that he probably isn't better than what we already have, and if he is it'll be marginal. I'd rather us look out for a young, hungry midfield player from league 1 or 2, or from a foreign league, rather than a player who is finished.
    If only. I think our scouts are afraid of flying or get seasick. I wish we'd actually go and look at other European league players. And I mean, actually, go and look at them. We're so unimaginative at City.

I watched Moder last night from row A so really close and the guy's tall at 6'2" and can play midfield or wing-back. He's also really quick and looks like an athlete. I liked the way he communicated on the park. He's exactly the type of player we should be signing. The problem is, we think £6M is too expensive and we're skint when in fact if Tan wants to own a football club then bloody well take it seriously (and yes, this is relevant because we wouldn't need to be talking about the like's of Arter if we had a plan).

I think Tan owns a spreadsheet, not a football club. Cardiff City has a weak board with a poor track record and we're just a portfolio asset, not a living, breathing, football club right now. It all feels stale.

It seems we look at loanees (which I don't like) or 30+ signees (which I don't like). Yes, there have been some good signings from L1 & L2 but IMO there'll be more misses than hits which we need to factor in. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Young and hungry - now I do like the sound of that.

You're right, If Tomlin is regarded as finished (sadly) then what are we talking about Arter for?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If only. I think our scouts are afraid of flying or get seasick. I wish we'd actually go and look at other European league players. And I mean, actually, go and look at them. We're so unimaginative at City.

I watched Moder last night from row A so really close and the guy's tall at 6'2" and can play midfield or wing-back. He's also really quick and looks like an athlete. I liked the way he communicated on the park. He's exactly the type of player we should be signing. The problem is, we think £6M is too expensive and we're skint when in fact if Tan wants to own a football club then bloody well take it seriously (and yes, this is relevant because we wouldn't need to be talking about the like's of Arter if we had a plan).

I think Tan owns a spreadsheet, not a football club. Cardiff City has a weak board with a poor track record and we're just a portfolio asset, not a living, breathing, football club right now. It all feels stale.

It seems we look at loanees (which I don't like) or 30+ signees (which I don't like). Yes, there have been some good signings from L1 & L2 but IMO there'll be more misses than hits which we need to factor in. Buy cheap, buy twice.

You're right, If Tomlin is regarded as finished (sadly) then what are we talking about Arter for?
    I just read back my opening paragraph and wanted to clarify that in no way was the flying reference made as a joke or in bad taste bearing in mind our recent history at CCFC. I wrote it without thinking.

Should be noted that Brexit has reduced number of leagues we can realistically look at and so there will be fewer bargains from Europe now.

Look at them more and look at them better! Likes of Lex Immers, Glatzel, Zohore, Juan Cala, Magnus Wolf Eikrem all came from abroad in one way or another.

Our scouting at moment limited to players known through ties to Arsenal, Republic of Ireland and Wolves or Crewe. How many scouts do we actually have and what are they doing?

Careful, fella. You’ll have the “How very dare you criticise the club, therefore you must support Swansea” brigade on to you!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Warnock had a 7 year deal at 48.5k lined up for him
    It’d be interesting to know what and who determines a player’s contract length.

See - not bashing the club, DML! 😉

£6m is expensive for a Championship club not in receipt of parachute payments!

Take a look at the transfer fees paid by Championship clubs this summer:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...wettbewerb/GB2

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Should be noted that Brexit has reduced number of leagues we can realistically look at and so there will be fewer bargains from Europe now.

Look at them more and look at them better! Likes of Lex Immers, Glatzel, Zohore, Juan Cala, Magnus Wolf Eikrem all came from abroad in one way or another.

Our scouting at moment limited to players known through ties to Arsenal, Republic of Ireland and Wolves or Crewe. How many scouts do we actually have and what are they doing?
    You're right to highlight the Brexit issue and the complications. Our player base is predominantly English/Welsh (but mainly English) and as far as I am aware only Bacuna and D'Almeida are the only exceptions at present (I may be wrong). We have no European players. From what I can tell we have only 2 employed scouts and I do not know what they are doing. MMs RoI influence was a worry for me.

I don't think there are any bargains anywhere anymore. That's why I think if we're going to consider £6M too expensive (compared to the spaffed millions of just a couple of seasons ago) then what are the board's plans for the club?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    £6m is expensive for a Championship club not in receipt of parachute payments!

Take a look at the transfer fees paid by Championship clubs this summer:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...wettbewerb/GB2
    Vincent Tan's net worth is circa $1.6 Billion. I think we're a spreadsheet and should stop making excuses. The Transfer market only tells a part of the story. We have a very wealthy owner and we're scrounging around in the bargain basement? Doesn't add up. Literally. And anyway, we were in receipt of parachute payments. Isn't that a point worth remembering. What did we do with that money and how wisely did we spend it? Isn't that what this discussion is all about really and why we're even discussing someone like Harry Arter?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Careful, fella. You’ll have the “How very dare you criticise the club, therefore you must support Swansea” brigade on to you!
    It's OK, I kind of hear the reply in my head as I'm posting but I know what you mean.

Majority of them above were known by the managers at the time. They weren’t scouted as such

My post was just carrying on from the theme of knocking him for expensive contracts. I agree with the rest of what you said

Vincent Tan's net worth is circa $1.6 Billion. I think we're a spreadsheet and should stop making excuses. The Transfer market only tells a part of the story. We have a very wealthy owner and we're scrounging around in the bargain basement? Doesn't add up. Literally. And anyway, we were in receipt of parachute payments. Isn't that a point worth remembering. What did we do with that money and how wisely did we spend it? Isn't that what this discussion is all about really and why we're even discussing someone like Harry Arter?
    The thing is, we have to comply with FFP rules. Tan can’t throw tens of millions at us even if he wanted to.

Luckily and sensibly the throwing sums like 6m at players at this level is over.

No parachute payments we cant do it even if we could.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    The thing is, we have to comply with FFP rules. Tan can’t throw tens of millions at us even if he wanted to.
    I agree and am aware that there are FFP rules. I guess my frustration at the moment is I feel we're stale. More to the point, the board is stale. Choo and Dalman have overseen two promotions and two immediate relegations. Their sanctioning of transfer fees, salaries, and appointments of managers have all cost the club dearly.

If Tan saw us as a living breathing football club and was genuinely interested, then new board appointments should surely have had to follow after allowing the squad to become as financially bloated with average players as they did (there's been one but he is another non-football guy and as I've questioned before, nobody seems to know what his actual role is) The bucks stop with the board and Tan. They are directly responsible (that's what they are paid for and is their job) for the two relegations. You can't claim the successes and forget about the failures. Going up once and coming down straight away was bad enough. To do it twice is unforgivable. The thing is, with our current set-up, we're likely to do it a third time too.

We've been caught napping since the lifting of lockdown. I see very little to no marketing of our club. The shop is badly managed. The ticket office is badly managed. For me, there's a kind of feeling of no hands-on senior management. It's just a feeling. That's why I'm frustrated that Harry Arter is even a discussion on here when I feel there are bigger issues at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Luckily and sensibly the throwing sums like 6m at players at this level is over.

I don't understand why you say 'luckily' but I agree with 'sensibly', But it wasn't that long ago that £6M was thrown at Gary Madine. I don't disagree with what you're saying under the current circumstances, I'd just prefix the whole post with 'we f*cked it up".

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/card...rde/verein/603

8th most expensive, Manga, was worth the fee paid as was 12th most expensive (Smithies), 14th most expensive (Morrison), 19th most (Kimbo), 24th most (Thorne) and 25th (Vaulks) but we could have swerved on every other one on that first page and spent the money better elsewhere.

Not sure how it fits to this thread other than to say high transfer fees isn't all that and it being another post saying Brentford investing into talent ID with lower transfer fees paid is to be admired.

I agree and am aware that there are FFP rules. I guess my frustration at the moment is I feel we're stale. More to the point, the board is stale. Choo and Dalman have overseen two promotions and two immediate relegations. Their sanctioning of transfer fees, salaries, and appointments of managers have all cost the club dearly.

If Tan saw us as a living breathing football club and was genuinely interested, then new board appointments should surely have had to follow after allowing the squad to become as financially bloated with average players as they did (there's been one but he is another non-football guy and as I've questioned before, nobody seems to know what his actual role is) The bucks stop with the board and Tan. They are directly responsible (that's what they are paid for and is their job) for the two relegations. You can't claim the successes and forget about the failures. Going up once and coming down straight away was bad enough. To do it twice is unforgivable. The thing is, with our current set-up, we're likely to do it a third time too.

We've been caught napping since the lifting of lockdown. I see very little to no marketing of our club. The shop is badly managed. The ticket office is badly managed. For me, there's a kind of feeling of no hands-on senior management. It's just a feeling. That's why I'm frustrated that Harry Arter is even a discussion on here when I feel there are bigger issues at the club.
    A lot of what you're saying is right, but don't get frustrated about discussions on here, it's just a place for fans to chat shit and none of it has any impact on anything - I'm sure that Vincent Tan hasn't cancelled an overhaul of the clubs management structure because he's read on here that the fans are actually more interested in ranking their favourite brands of crisps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

If you throw £6m at the right player you can easily 5x your money though as well as giving yourself a massive advantage of going up for the jackpot.

Look at Brentford. For that sum they purchased Toney who’s know worth £35m.

We’ve just never bought well and when we have we've just made them look crap.

A lot of what you're saying is right, but don't get frustrated about discussions on here, it's just a place for fans to chat shit and none of it has any impact on anything - I'm sure that Vincent Tan hasn't cancelled an overhaul of the clubs management structure because he's read on here that the fans are actually more interested in ranking their favourite brands of crisps.
    I'm shocked, I was expecting a job offer soon *heads over to crisp brands thread*

Can't argue with much of this. Whilst being all too aware of where we've come from, I'd have loved to have thought back in the 90's and early 00's that we'd barely be looking down for 20+ years, it really grates that we failed to capitalise on our two big opportunities to grow the club.

Premier League money and the subsequent parachute payments were criminally wasted not once but twice by the current administration and we are treading water again. Again, it was once just a dream to tread water in the 2nd tier but there's a real frustration that we've not been able to kick on and we're about to embark on major rebuilding, with a number of contracts being up this year, when we could have built in a considered way with the riches that have passed through the club in recent times.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/card...rde/verein/603

8th most expensive, Manga, was worth the fee paid as was 12th most expensive (Smithies), 14th most expensive (Morrison), 19th most (Kimbo), 24th most (Thorne) and 25th (Vaulks) but we could have swerved on every other one on that first page and spent the money better elsewhere.

Not sure how it fits to this thread other than to say high transfer fees isn't all that and it being another post saying Brentford investing into talent ID with lower transfer fees paid is to be admired.
    I was a big Kimbo fan, but I'd question whether we couldn't have spent that money better - never really delivered that often for us.

Some of them we made our money back or small profits on:
    Caulker, Medel, Decordova Reid - so it's hard to call them a complete disaster - but then you have to think of the opportunity cost - could that money have been spent better at the time.
    That isn't always down to the player though - sometimes we've made what looks like a decent signing , but the manager doesn't want to use them (i.e. Warnock with Decordova Reid, and arguably Tomlin).

There is an awful lot of waste on that list though.