+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steadied the ship again with Mick McCarthy and he looks a good fit, but what happens after that? (Walesonline)

Steadied the ship again with Mick McCarthy and he looks a good fit, but what happens after that? (Walesonline)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...again-19725241

During a recent Zoom meeting between Mehmet Dalman, Ken Choo and a group of supporters, it was asked why the club struggle to convey their philosophy to supporters, only to be told that they didn’t have one.

This is a modern football club who in my personal view appear to be making it up as they go along, and you can feel it.

That is never more apparent than when they’re on the lookout for a new manager. There may not be an ethos guiding them, but a pattern has certainly emerged.

I personally feel there is a disconnect between what some supporters want, what Cardiff are and what may or may not be possible. You can’t please all of the people all of the time, but that seems to be harder at Cardiff than most other clubs because lots of people appear to be pointing in different directions.

Cardiff may admit to not having a philosophy, but I think they would find things easier if they found one.
    To balance out the positivity from the other Walesonline article linked I think we are looking longer term now, after a decade of underperforming for the money put in, but what our identity will be is not yet formed...and it may not exactly what we want when it is.

Re: Steadied the ship again with Mick McCarthy and he looks a good fit, but what happens after that? (Walesonline)

how do you stop that reach advert? its a right pain

Re: Steadied the ship again with Mick McCarthy and he looks a good fit, but what happens after that? (Walesonline)

I think we should be careful what we wish for. Remember we tried the young progressive coach with Trollope and then we had to revert to Warnock.

Last night I came across the Netflix programme on Sunderland, and started watching from series 1. I'm up to episode 4 now where Grayson was sacked and Coleman was appointed as 'The Messiah'. I think we know how that ended. They consider themselves to be a massive club, with the stadium 1/3 full. They won the FA Cup in 1973 and that was their only major trophy since 1937. They have won the League 6 times if you can believe, the last in 1936, and prior to that 1913. 86 seasons in the top flight too. But look at where they are now. And they attitude of their fans in that programme was truly appalling, the vitriol and abuse aimed at the manager was disgraceful. It makes our fans look like angels. They should go what we went through for 18 seasons and see how that feels.

I think new should be happy where we are at the moment, just a bit disappointed with what has happened this season. And sensibly backing Mick McCarthy otherwise we might end up where they are. I wouldn't be surprised if we offer McCarthy a longer deal in the summer, if he does well. Otherwise we might end up with someone like Coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think we should be careful what we wish for. Remember we tried the young progressive coach with Trollope and then we had to revert to Warnock.

Last night I came across the Netflix programme on Sunderland, and started watching from series 1. I'm up to episode 4 now where Grayson was sacked and Coleman was appointed as 'The Messiah'. I think we know how that ended. They consider themselves to be a massive club, with the stadium 1/3 full. They won the FA Cup in 1973 and that was their only major trophy since 1937. They have won the League 6 times if you can believe, the last in 1936, and prior to that 1913. 86 seasons in the top flight too. But look at where they are now. And they attitude of their fans in that programme was truly appalling, the vitriol and abuse aimed at the manager was disgraceful. It makes our fans look like angels. They should go what we went through for 18 seasons and see how that feels.

I think new should be happy where we are at the moment, just a bit disappointed with what has happened this season. And sensibly backing Mick McCarthy otherwise we might end up where they are. I wouldn't be surprised if we offer McCarthy a longer deal in the summer, if he does well. Otherwise we might end up with someone like Coleman.

We'll never know how Trollope would have turned out, because he got sacked after 11 games. And since then everyone has decided that we were already relegated if he wasn't replaced. I can't see Coleman getting another job at this level. But you never know.

wait until you watched it all and see the attitude to coleman when it goes wrong

As Mick is just another version of Warnock, should we not start to pan to employ a Harris lookalike

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We'll never know how Trollope would have turned out, because he got sacked after 11 games. And since then everyone has decided that we were already relegated if he wasn't replaced. I can't see Coleman getting another job at this level. But you never know.
    Trollope was trying to play football the way Wales played after our fantastic performances in France.
    The problem was that we didn't have Bale, Ramsey and Allen playing for us and our fullbacks of slightly less quality who couldn't get up and down.
    We were leaking goals left right and centre.
    I don't think the board had any choice but to sack Trollope to be honest, similar with Harris.

I was all for the new cavalier style of play, the modern way of playing, but you have to possess the quality to be able to do so.
    Unfortunately we have not that quality in any position apart from maybe centre forward.

The Sunderland situation is one which I feel is not a million miles away from many clubs in the Championship.

The club seem to be taking the steps to avoid this happening here with Mick and if the talk about the new approach to recruitment is not simply just talk, then we will be in a good place, but it won't happen overnight.

Another one who thought we had lost seven consecutive games

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Another one who thought we had lost seven consecutive games
    "McCarthy looks a good fit for the current remit. He won’t be phased by anything he finds at Cardiff"

So because Trollope was a failure 5 years ago we should stick to this similar style of manager which isn't going to take us anywhere in the long term? Outstanding logic. Trollope wasn't a well decorated coach (he worked under Slade and our football was dire, likewise with his time at Brighton under Hughton) or manager, the club put a lot of blind faith into him and it didn't work out, there are plenty of other younger managers out there with a modern approach to football who could do well here given the backing our managers get.

No idea what the comparison to Sunderland is all about either, their situation is a culmination of years of mismanagement, sure fans can be happy we aren't Sunderland but I'm going to be really annoyed if Swansea go up this year and we're still pissing around in mid table without any plan for the next few seasons

If Swansea don’t go up, offer to double Steve Coopers money before the Premiership clubs come in for him! That would also upset the Jacks!

We are not really in a position to argue are we

People wanted Harris out

We were on a downward slide and it was either piss about looking for the next pretty boy or get someone in who should be able to stop the rot once he susses out what he has , puts a few father type hugs around the team and win some games .

I hope he stabilises the ship and if thats all he does he accepts it is a new face is brought in

If he does more than that and gets the team playing and winning games then he's worth a punt in my opinion

We could be snagging about like Sunderland, who will soon come back as they are a very big club but if they spend several years down there it will take longer to regroup

Let him get on with it , worry about boring football once we have got stabilised