+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Away Grounds you miss

Away Grounds you miss

The Vetch was a cack hole and the away end was dangerous and overcrowded but the derbies down there were great

Leigh Bernard's early goal win was one of my favourite games down there along with the 2 nil littlewoods cup win where some of our port Talbot fans had an argument with some locals on the beach

Elm Park ......liked that place , good atmosphere

Shrewsbury Town

Coventry City Highfield Road

Huddersfield Town, huge open end , mad celebrations as Chris fry whipped in a great cross for pikey to tap it home , sending the travelling hoardes wild . Well about 400 of us . Great debut goal by Cohen too.

Maine Road

The Manor Ground , pokey little place but good when full

Re: Away Grounds you miss

Like you getting soaked at Elm Park I got a soaking at the Manor Ground on a wet December night in 1983 when we got stuffed 3-0 in an FA Cup replay to Oxford Utd. Decent atmosphere there.
    Also remember Fellowes Park on a freezing Saturday afternoon in February 86 when we got dicked 6-0.

eastville bristol rovers
    the old valley charlton huge open terrace back in the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Like you getting soaked at Elm Park I got a soaking at the Manor Ground on a wet December night in 1983 when we got stuffed 3-0 in an FA Cup replay to Oxford Utd. Decent atmosphere there.
    Also remember Fellowes Park on a freezing Saturday afternoon in February 86 when we got dicked 6-0.
    How much of a rivalry did you have with Oxford?

I used to live there and its not all students as people think

Blackbird Leys , Wood Farm , Cowley had a rough side , which I know reading does as well

I never used to go into Oxford at night , too many pissheads

When I lived there Coventry was always a trouble game and of course when our lot turned up

Always thought your rivals to be Brentford, Fulham, QPR

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    eastville bristol rovers
    the old valley charlton huge open terrace back in the day .
    I didn't miss Bristol rovers fans chucking stuff at us from bridges on the way out

Only trip to the valley was our first away game in 83 84 season back in the second ?

Only youngsters we went to Hatfield in Hertfordshire to stay with a mate . Travelled down and across to Charlton

On the way we passed a craphole ground and I said to my mate whose ground is that , its a right dump !

Millwall said this big lump on the seats opposite us

I said what team do you support ?

He said Millwall and everyone burst out laughing

He could see we were just youngsters

Bedlam after the game , which we lost 2 nil

almost forgot miss the old arsenal Highbury ground

went there cup replay around 1981'ish as a teenager i think and was taken aback the size of the ground back then

Not an away ground but Ninian Park ☹

Upton Park - West Ham old school ground

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Blackbird Leys , Wood Farm , Cowley had a rough side , which I know reading does as well

When I lived there Coventry was always a trouble game and of course when our lot turned up

yes was at the game with charlton and you are right the first game of the season 1983-84 season

remember it well our tube train blew up in flames on the way to the ground was on the local news at the time !

couldn't believe the size of the ground and you are right the millwall lot were there in numbers and out train back to the smoke didn't have many windows left but luckily it was a hot day in August and lost 2 nil which made our journey back miserable

Highbury- walk past it now 😏
    Last edited by Its been emotional; 30-01-21 at 01:05. Reason: Spelling

To get to the Emirates

The Vetch
    What a shite hole but it was our shite hole which we always enjoyed

The Vetch was a cack hole and the away end was dangerous and overcrowded but the derbies down there were great

Leigh Bernard's early goal win was one of my favourite games down there along with the 2 nil littlewoods cup win where some of our port Talbot fans had an argument with some locals on the beach

Elm Park ......liked that place , good atmosphere

Shrewsbury Town

Coventry City Highfield Road

Huddersfield Town, huge open end , mad celebrations as Chris fry whipped in a great cross for pikey to tap it home , sending the travelling hoardes wild . Well about 400 of us . Great debut goal by Cohen too.

Maine Road

The Manor Ground , pokey little place but good when full
    I remember that little woods cup win 1988 was it? Two late goals....a long walk back to the station with barely a Jack in sight.

I'd love to go back to the Cambridge Utd stadium, one of my favourite memories is holding on to win there with 8 men I think around the 1997/98 season. I was in plaster and on crutches and got crushed with the celebrations at the end but loved it, sums up what being a City fan was all about for me.

I also miss every single stadium in the country at the moment. That feeling of walking up the stairs and into the packed arena, will be so much more appreciative when we have football back.

Although it's still there, I miss Edgar Street. Some great memories from back in the day.

Right now - all of em

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    yes was at the game with charlton and you are right the first game of the season 1983-84 season

remember it well our tube train blew up in flames on the way to the ground was on the local news at the time !

couldn't believe the size of the ground and you are right the millwall lot were there in numbers and out train back to the smoke didn't have many windows left but luckily it was a hot day in August and lost 2 nil which made our journey back miserable
    Waiting for the train at Charlton Station dodging the missiles being thrown back and forth

Got to Paddington and the whole of the London transport police seemed to be waiting for us

I was glad to get home

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I remember that little woods cup win 1988 was it? Two late goals....a long walk back to the station with barely a Jack in sight.
    they were too busy scrapping it out with the port Talbot lot on swansea beach ⛱

I don't miss Lincoln City

Christ thats a boring trip

Also Peterborough......quicker to get to Preston

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Although it's still there, I miss Edgar Street. Some great memories from back in the day.
    terrible away end , not so bad in the seats

I used to feel sorry for the city fans packed in there

they were too busy scrapping it out with the port Talbot lot on swansea beach ⛱
    Yep casually avoiding 1000 of us walking back to the station, I recall briefly seeing about 80 of them bouncing up and down down the rd, even the swansea police were laughing at them.... probably the same group who famously chased those 20 PT youngsters into the sea.
    Quite like going to wolves too, we shared that huge terrace behind the goal with them for a bit when two sides of the ground were shut, 10,000 of them 20ft away....

First Team

I miss them all as they were part of my childhood.
    However , looking back without the rose tinted glasses they were almost universally horrible, dangerous and well past their use by date.
    I appreciate that most people on social media appear to dislike the “ soulless concrete bowls” but I am more positive about having a seat, cover from the weather, a decent view without a pillar in the way and safe in the knowledge that it is not a fire hazard and that I am not caged in.
    Creaking knees and declining eyesight may contribute to my new priorities in viewing a game but in my defence I don’t like prawn sandwiches and watch the game not look at my phone constantly.

Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot are our main rivals. The London clubs you mention not really. The rivalry is much lower level than Cardiff v Swansea and we have barely played any local derbies in years.

The old Den Millwall. That was an experience in the severnties.Nasty place