+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Away Grounds you miss

Re: Away Grounds you miss

Hereford's Edgar Street - it's still there, but we just don't go there any more.
    Newport's Someone Park - I used to pop down to watch them, back in their Ashurst glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Hereford's Edgar Street - it's still there, but we just don't go there any more.
    Newport's Someone Park - I used to pop down to watch them, back in their Ashurst glory days.
    What a name for a ground....Someone Park, unfortunately with County’s meagre crowds in those days, No-one Park may have been more appropriate.

The Dell, Southampton. My eldest lad's first away game league cup mid 90's. Tiny ground but great atmosphere in the Matt Le Tissier days...
    Somerton Park. The famous game in the early 80's the year us and Newport were promotion rivals. God knows how we lost, Jeff Hemmerman had 2 goals disallowed and I thought we'd blown our chances but County missed out and I don't think they've been that close to the now Championship since.
    Maine Road. FA Cup 1981. Huge impressive place. Around the time of The Moss Side riots and I remember several burnt out buildings on the way to the ground.

To cut a long story short all of them.

I prefer the old grounds without exception. Including ours.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    To cut a long story short all of them.

I prefer the old grounds without exception. Including ours.
    Away at Luton last season [Kennilworth Road]. Entrance between a row of houses, a tiny bar on left as you walk in. If you described to someone sat up 60ft in the air and 100ft from the pitch at Tottenham or Arsenal or Newcastle, they genuinely wouldn't have a clue what you were on about.

Bristol Rovers Eastville many a story to tell

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep casually avoiding 1000 of us walking back to the station, I recall briefly seeing about 80 of them bouncing up and down down the rd, even the swansea police were laughing at them.... probably the same group who famously chased those 20 PT youngsters into the sea.
    Quite like going to wolves too, we shared that huge terrace behind the goal with them for a bit when two sides of the ground were shut, 10,000 of them 20ft away....
    The Midlands trips were always a good laugh

There in a couple of hours

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot are our main rivals. The London clubs you mention not really. The rivalry is much lower level than Cardiff v Swansea and we have barely played any local derbies in years.
    pompey ?

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    The old Den Millwall. That was an experience in the severnties.Nasty place
    The FA Cup trip on the special ? 85 was it ?

My first trip down that way , a bit nervous but it ok

Sounds like it wasn't in the old days

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I'd love to go back to the Cambridge Utd stadium, one of my favourite memories is holding on to win there with 8 men I think around the 1997/98 season. I was in plaster and on crutches and got crushed with the celebrations at the end but loved it, sums up what being a City fan was all about for me.
    I think the game you talking about was a draw and I'm sure Dec 1999.

It’s not an away ground but Ninian obviously missed.. Vetch, Somerton and Eastville all enjoyable trips

For obvious reasons The Den I definitely do not miss!!!