+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Clubs Near The Trap Door

Re: Big Clubs Near The Trap Door

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Derby aren't a million miles away, there'll be at least one "big club" going down this season, possibly 2 considering Rotherham's games in hand
    Sky's Championship form guide reminds us that we're on relegation form over the past eight games and over the past six games. There are only three teams on worse run of form than us if stretching that out further, the past ten games, or reducing it so to be over past four games.

Derby are in the top ten over each of these time periods and on play-off form in all but one.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Was it John Cobbold who said, “A crisis at Ipswich Town is the stock of red wine in the boardroom running low”. A brilliant, Corinthian view of things.
    yes the post match boardroom drinks were legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    They won the League Cup 10 years ago.
    yep stand corrected

First Team

Always liked Ipswich until I went there a several years ago and they were charging City supporters £35 to sit in a run down stand with a poor view and legroom unsuitable for Snow Whites helpers.
    Since then, along with Sunderland, my curse has worked far more effectively than all these so called gypsy ones cast on various football clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Can you tell me why then , that during much of Cardiff citys promotion season under your mate Colin, the crowds at the Cardiff City Stadium were nowhere near the capacity of the ground , even with those red seats not included ?
    You said “if we were both going for promotion”. Well, for a start, towards the end of our last promotion season we were able pull crowds above Birmingham’s capacity. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

Birmingham, much like Cardiff, have an average attendance that seriously fluctuates depending on the teams form. However, comparisons of figures of both teams, in both divisions in the last 10 years puts us ahead of them. They averaged just over 25000 in their last 2 seasons in the Prem. we averaged over 31,000.
    In the last decade our average has been under 20,000 on only two occasions. Birmingham have only averaged over 20,000 on 3 occasions and one of those was 10 years ago in the PL.

They are not a big club. No bigger than Cardiff City and certainly NOT in the same bracket as the other clubs who are at the wrong end of the table this season such as Derby, Forest and Sheff We’d.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    They won the League Cup 10 years ago.
    We were a couple of pelanties away from winning it ourselves

I wouldn’t even class Derby and Forest as big clubs anymore. You can only dine out on former success for so long.
    Forest had some real glory yrs under Clough and Taylor. They arrived on the scene like a breath of fresh air, and at one time, boasted one of the best teams that has ever graced British football, but they faded away just as quickly as they arrived, and have been floating about in the back waters for yrs now.
    Derby have had some real glory yrs as well, but like Forest, have drifted into the long grass.

Can you tell me why then , that during much of Cardiff citys promotion season under your mate Colin, the crowds at the Cardiff City Stadium were nowhere near the capacity of the ground , even with those red seats not included ?
    In our last season in the Premier League we had the 11th highest average crowds despite struggling for results all season. Above clubs such as Southampton,Brighton,Palace and a couple of hundred behind a successful Leicester! We are one of the few club that would get 60k crowds if we were a top 6 team,I just wish a Billionaire could see our potential!

A lot of our fanbase think we're a tiny provincial club based on our period from the late 80s/90s, which historically is a massive outlier. We've spent about 70% of our history in the top two divisions
    Absolutely. No side has spent more seasons in the second tier than us

Yes because if we went down we could go into free fall
    Fair play, that's a load of bollocks. The league is no respecter of whether you're an established name or not. Suppose we went down with Derby and Forest. Are you seriously telling me you'd back them before us for promotion based on how big a name they'd been historically, ignoring other things like available funds, the players at the club, youth players coming through etc? No point in all that, let's concede now as we're just little old Cardiff City (but not that little historically)....

Were you smoking that Rastafarian stuff last night?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I wouldn’t even class Derby and Forest as big clubs anymore. You can only dine out on former success for so long.
    Forest had some real glory yrs under Clough and Taylor. They arrived on the scene like a breath of fresh air, and at one time, boasted one of the best teams that has ever graced British football, but they faded away just as quickly as they arrived, and have been floating about in the back waters for yrs now.
    Derby have had some real glory yrs as well, but like Forest, have drifted into the long grass.
    They are still very well supported clubs to be fair and usually near the top of league when it comes to attendances in this division.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They are still very well supported clubs to be fair and usually near the top of league when it comes to attendances in this division.
    Didnt Derby used to give out 10,000 kids tickets for free or very cheap to bolster attendance? Sure they did some scheme. Good idea really, future fans, buying stuff, more food sales etc...they must be gutted to see Leicester doing so well, a team that dropped into league 1 not so long ago like Southampton did also I think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely. No side has spent more seasons in the second tier than us
    It’s like our spiritual home and with managers we go for, it’s likely to remain that way

Look at the crowds we were getting , even when we were a more successful club

Cardiff City have always been able to pull big crowds but we would get 50000 against attractive opposition then a few weeks later scrape 15000

My arch enemy TLG will provide you with the history of our support and even in our golden years it was up and down like a roller coaster.

Its part of the DNA
    We've had similar or higher average attendances than Birmingham for much of the past decade, that's what matters right now, not what both clubs were like in the 90s

Birmingham is massive, they should get far higher attendances than they do

There's also a fairly obvious reason our crowds weren't as high as they could be when Tan took over

We've had similar or higher average attendances than Birmingham for much of the past decade, that's what matters right now, not what both clubs were like in the 90s

Birmingham is massive, they should get far higher attendances than they do

There's also a fairly obvious reason our crowds weren't as high as they could be when Tan took over
    Birmingham has two football clubs and the North West of the city generally supports West Brom

So thats 3 clubs

Cardiff and its surrounding urban area has one club

Birmingham has two football clubs and the North West of the city generally supports West Brom

So thats 3 clubs

Cardiff and its surrounding urban area has one club
    Birmingham is massive, more people live in Birmingham metropolitan area than live in the whole of Wales

Population: Cardiff - 366,903. Birmingham - 1,141,816
    Urban population: Cardiff - 479,000. Birmingham - 2,897,303
    Metro populations: Cardiff - 1,097,000. Birmingham - 4,332,629

Incomparable

Birmingham is massive, more people live in Birmingham metropolitan area than live in the whole of Wales

Incomparable
    Sludge having a right mare. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Amazing club in many ways have a great history and have had truly great players playing for them(Beattie, Mills, Butcher the Dutch pair and John Wark to name a few,they have been managed by the two best England managers and in Robson a great manager, they had the best owners in football for many years in the Cobbolds and pioneered foreign imports in Muhren and Thijsenn all in a town of about 130000
    Struggling atm with a weird owner and crowds were down before lockdown but i think they will bounce back
    i live in Ipswich and you see loads of people wearing Town gear, lots more than you do see people wearing City stuff in Cardiff or the valleys
    A good mate of mine who moved from Risca to Ipswich over 30 years ago rang me yesterday and said, "Why the hell have Cardiff appointed Mick McCarthy as their manager ?" He's not a big football fan but he knows that MM was an incredibly unpopular manager in his time with them. I tried to justify the board's thinking in appointing him but it was a hard sell.

And yes in their relatively short league history Ipswich have done exceedingly well. Never been a club I could take a dislike to either.

If you’re serious about big Clubs
    Sheffield W., Stoke City, Nottm. F, Middlesbrough, Cardiff City, Derby County, Norwich City, Birmingham City, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Preston, then the rest.

Incomparable
    No you are confusing the west Midlands with Birmingham

People in Wolverhampton support wolves , Walsall, Walsall, northwest Birmingham West brom , Birmingham villa and City

Just take the L Sludge

Birmingham City 20th biggest club in all time attendances

Cardiff City 34th

Cardiff City 34th
    Bolton Wanderers were once the greatest team in the land, means **** all in the year 2021.

No you are confusing the west Midlands with Birmingham

People in Wolverhampton support wolves , Walsall, Walsall, northwest Birmingham West brom , Birmingham villa and City
    No, I'm really not. The city of Birmingham is home to over 1m people, about three times more than Cardiff. You're the one who brought in the whole "surrounding area" stuff which is why I brought in the urban and metro populations which showed how much bigger Birmingham's is. The two cities aren't comparable at all.

Are you really trying to suggest that Birmingham and Cardiff are similar cities?

Cardiff City 34th
    Birmingham haven't averaged 30,000 since 1975, we managed it 2 years ago

The present is what matters.