+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To be fair, if the club are signing someone you'd rather they were injury prone like Jonny is

And he's a Wales international and all round nice guy who's dealt with setbacks and injury problems so would probably be good for some advice
    Not over the moon then?

At least he's an industrious player who if fit will give his all for the club, unlike some others currently in the squad.

What I find frustrating is that we seem unable to identify and sign any ball playing midfielders. Our team has been crying out for them since the Whittingham/McPhail era (with the exception of Jordan Mutch) and successive managers refuse to address the problem, There was a time that we could pick them up on loan from the PL/DIv 1. Players like James Harper and Eddie Newton for instance.

Of course the problem lies with the style of managers we have appointed over the last few years and until this changes be prepared to be bored rigid !

If someone (let’s say welshlad)had started a thread 4 weeks ago saying Harris is going to get sacked but the good news is that we’ve lined up Mick McCarthy and his first signing is going to be Joniesta I’d be surprised if anyone on here or indeed any fan wouldn’t have been appalled.... it’s a shitshow!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    If someone (let’s say welshlad)had started a thread 4 weeks ago saying Harris is going to get sacked but the good news is that we’ve lined up Mick McCarthy and his first signing is going to be Joniesta I’d be surprised if anyone on here or indeed any fan wouldn’t have been appalled.... it’s a shitshow!
    Williams is just the type of player we need; a player who can run at opposing defences with the ball. Unfortunately Williams is so injury prone he is nothing more than another Tomlin. For this reason alone he should not have been signed.

Welcome Joniesta add hopefully at least he will add some spirit and passion to that midfield .

I did say we should stick with Harris as better the devil you know

Not even I could have imagined Mick McCarthy tho

You're probably right but the board won't listen to the fans so in the short term at least we have to grin and bear it. Vincent Tan can't be happy with the results or the performances so it remains to be seen what he will do when the fans return to the stadium. Or not !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You're probably right but the board won't listen to the fans so in the short term at least we have to grin and bear it. Vincent Tan can't be happy with the results or the performances so it remains to be seen what he will do when the fans return to the stadium. Or not !
    The sooner fans are allowed back in the stadium and we can make our feelings crystal clear the better.

Mick OUT

Nice comments from Bowyer:

Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has confirmed that Jonny Williams is set to have a medical at Cardiff City.

A fee – reported to be £200,000 – has been agreed for the Wales international, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Bowyer said: “A couple of days ago it[a deal] started.

“One of the things I’ll really miss is that smile every morning, he is a lovely lad. He has been great around the place and everyone is going to miss him.

“He’s only got a little bit left on his contract and this is the right thing for the club. It is a good deal for the club – and Jonny wanted to go there.

“Jonny is another one who came in dead and buried – he was playing U23s at Palace – but came here, played games and got back into the Wales side. He is another one who moves on and has improved as a player under us. The list is bloody endless – of people doing well and moving on.

Although its reported he's injury prone he has managed 60 games for Charlton since 2019 I'm guessing he's played for Wales as well during that period, could his robust all or nothing style and midfield position run a greater risk of injuries ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has confirmed that Jonny Williams is set to have a medical at Cardiff City.

A fee – reported to be £200,000 – has been agreed for the Wales international, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

“One of the things I’ll really miss is that smile every morning, he is a lovely lad. He has been great around the place and everyone is going to miss him.

“He’s only got a little bit left on his contract and this is the right thing for the club. It is a good deal for the club – and Jonny wanted to go there.

“Jonny is another one who came in dead and buried – he was playing U23s at Palace – but came here, played games and got back into the Wales side. He is another one who moves on and has improved as a player under us. The list is bloody endless – of people doing well and moving on.

Although its reported he's injury prone he has managed 60 games for Charlton since 2019 I'm guessing he's played for Wales as well during that period, could his robust all or nothing style and midfield position run a greater risk of injuries ??
    No

I hope it's a loan. Why would they let Mick McCarthy sign players? We're not getting in the playoffs we're not getting relegated. So what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Williams is just the type of player we need; a player who can run at opposing defences with the ball. Unfortunately Williams is so injury prone he is nothing more than another Tomlin. For this reason alone he should not have been signed.
    Lee Tomlin is a much better player than Jonny Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Lee Tomlin is a much better player than Jonny Williams.
    Agreed but I think Tomlin may very well fade into the sunset.
    His injuries, age and lack of fitness have finally caught up with him and if he comes back next season, the best we will see is 20-30 minutes off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agreed but I think Tomlin may very well fade into the sunset.
    His injuries, age and lack of fitness have finally caught up with him and if he comes back next season, the best we will see is 20-30 minutes off the bench
    I dont see Tomlin getting a sniff under McCarthy.

He’s failed the medical apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Well, this is the least surprising news ever. Why would you even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Well, this is the least surprising news ever. Why would you even bother?
    While I don't think he'd be a great signing after seeing him on that Sunderland documentary I would be gutted for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    While I don't think he'd be a great signing after seeing him on that Sunderland documentary I would be gutted for him.
    In all seriousness, you know he's not going to stay fit or pass a medical. I don't know what to believe but I'd be shocked if this held the deal up unless something was seriously wrong.

Or got injured during it.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I don’t view them as nice comments... I view them as ‘look at how good Lee Bowyer is’ comments.... but credit to Charlton for making the deal and to them for at least trying to be progressive with their managerial appointment of him...

where have you heard that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    where have you heard that?
    Twitter rumour, probably BS.

Twitter rumour, probably BS.
    Wishful thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No time for sentiment. Football is a ruthless business.