+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Well what a waste of time that was.
    Can only assume they’ve got someone lined up, or Colwill is going to get a real run at it next season (it’s probably both)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Jonny Williams made his Championship debut for Crystal Palace in August 2011. Since then, he's started a grand total of just 91 Premier League and Football League matches.

To put that figure into perspective, Joe Ralls is three days younger than Williams. He made his Championship debut for Cardiff City in October 2011. Since then, he's started 253 Premier League and Football League matches.
    It is possible for a player to go through injuries early in their career and then not experience that later on in their career. My hope was that Jonny Williams was one of those and I think it could still be the case.

We're talking about a club that wants to focus on youth as a part of cost cutting. My believe is that Jonny is exactly the sort of person you want around the dressing room for that scenario and is capable of offering 2 goals and 5 assists in 34 Championship games which makes him more productive than Josh Murphy was for us this past year.

It's possible that his replacement will be older and more productive but that will get in the way of the younger players coming through and will probably cost the club more in wages (short-term) and development of these players (long-term).

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Which of those 5 goals were his fault again?

Jonny Williams was signed on a 6 month contract on a cheap deal. He's been a squad player this year and will step up next year if we extend.

Josh Murphy gets paid buckets more but was outscored by Mark Harris in 17 fewer games. Let's see if Jonny can provide more or less than 2 goals and 5 assists in 34 games next year, eh?
    Can you actually think someone who was signed on a six month contract and only played 174 minutes in that time most of it in a match we lost 5-0 was a good signing?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Swansea signed Conor Hourihane on loan in this transfer window. Just saying.
    Thank fk the jacks signed him up (20/20 hindsight vision )

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Thank fk the jacks signed him up (20/20 hindsight vision )
    Hourihane played pretty well for them until he injured his hamstring against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Can you actually think someone who was signed on a six month contract and only played 174 minutes in that time most of it in a match we lost 5-0 was a good signing?
    I think the manager used his squad poorly which cost us a point against Watford and two points against Stoke which killed any play-off chase. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes but arguably we'd have been better off if Jonny played more than 174 minutes.

The player was signed with an option to extend. I feel what he could do for us over next two years means he's worth extending rather than what he did do for us over 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think the manager used his squad poorly which cost us a point against Watford and two points against Stoke which killed any play-off chase. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes but arguably we'd have been better off if Jonny played more than 174 minutes.

The player was signed with an option to extend. I feel what he could do for us over next two years means he's worth extending rather than what he did do for us over 6 months.
    depends who we replace him with - there could be some interesting deals done this transfer window - especially loan deals

I'd argue that when he was signed in January, he was seen as cheap cover/rotation for Harry Wilson in the 10 position, and that he'd do a similar role next season for whoever Wilson's replacement will be.

Colwill will now likely be that player (assuming of course he signs a replacement for Wilson), which was unforeseen at the time. If he'd performed poorly in the 3 games at the end of the season, and Mick felt he wasn't ready, Jonny maybe would have had another year.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I'd argue that when he was signed in January, he was seen as cheap cover/rotation for Harry Wilson in the 10 position, and that he'd do a similar role next season for whoever Wilson's replacement will be.

Colwill will now likely be that player (assuming of course he signs a replacement for Wilson), which was unforeseen at the time. If he'd performed poorly in the 3 games at the end of the season, and Mick felt he wasn't ready, Jonny maybe would have had another year.
    Didn’t McCarthy say something to the effect that we didn’t need to find a replacement for Wilson next season because he’d already plugged that hole with Williams? Unfortunately after the honeymoon period where I ate my words on McCarthy’s appointment it now feels like we’ve got 2 more years of attrition to deal with 🙁

Good news that he's gone; it would be great to think we're going to replace him with quality but somehow I doubt it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...liams-20768875

Jonny Williams has revealed he expected his stay with Cardiff City to be extended before he was released earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...liams-20768875

Jonny Williams has revealed he expected his stay with Cardiff City to be extended before he was released earlier this month.
    I suppose if he was the back up and the recent emergence of Colwill has made him less of a necessity (whereas it might have been a different story 8 weeks ago), then it make sense that he was released.

Mick must have been part of the decision not to extend Jonny Williams' contract - but it completely contradicts what he said only a few weeks ago about him being a ready made replacement for Harry Wilson. That didn't convince many, but still it is a remarkable about face, and maybe shines a light on where the power and influence lies in the club (a change from the Warnock days).

Or else he really has changed his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Mick must have been part of the decision not to extend Jonny Williams' contract - but it completely contradicts what he said only a few weeks ago about him being a ready made replacement for Harry Wilson. That didn't convince many, but still it is a remarkable about face, and maybe shines a light on where the power and influence lies in the club (a change from the Warnock days).

Or else he really has changed his mind?
    Needs to free up wages for Bale and Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Needs to free up wages for Bale and Ramsey
    Yes, that much is obvious.

From what I saw of him last year , he wasn't going to pull up any trees , I wonder if the medical team spotted some weaknesses that could restrict a full season commitments , which for us would be costly ,lets see where he goes now and what he delivers .