+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

I can understand why some people are being a bit sceptical, but I've seen enough of Williams in a Wales shirt to suggest he could offer us something that we need at the moment, a bit more energy and invention in midfield.
    no he's not going to turn into a premier League creative midfielder, but for the money such a thing is very hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    i) fits our budget
    ii) fills a need in the squad now or in the immediate future
    iii) helps with the aim of playing more football
    iv) either meets the aim of bringing squad age down (increasing value, increasing dynamism in squad) or supports the younger players coming through
    v) helps us win and climb the table

i) you agree with.

ii) The majority of times I've seen him play for Wales it was an attacking midfielder. At the end of this season we lost three players in this position leaving us with just Murphy (underperformed since signing, hopefully can change that going forward) and Tomlin (can we rely on him?).

iii) Think it's fair to say that Jonny is skillful on the ball. Maybe unproductive but few would question his ability to control, pass, recycle the ball or win free-kicks.

iv) Is there anything we've seen that suggests Jonny would be a positive person around the dressing room and help support younger players coming through? I'd ask if there is anything that doesn't show that because countless documentaries/videos/interviews show he's a good bloke to have around.

v) This is where I think we share some doubts.

I'm not saying get excited just that I think we should be more positive than negative on that basis.
    I 100% agree, for £200k he is a sensible purchase and I reckon he's going to surprise a lot of people

Williams was hauled off at half-time during his last appearance for Charlton against Swindon (23/01/21) with his side 2-0 behind. He was an unused sub in their latest game last Tuesday.

From a Charlton fan's blog report of the Swindon game:

"Our now weekly procession of early second-half substitutions started with Andrew Shinnie coming on for Jonny Williams. I love Jonny but he looks to me like he's been struggling this season with the pace of games. He can't do more than hour anyway and looks an older player than his 27 years. You could be forgiven for thinking he is a veteran of over 300 games, but in reality he has only made around 170-odd first-team appearances (60 for us) in his whole career."

Sounds perfect for a progressive, forward-thinking club like Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I think it would be a crazy signing myself but I've seen plenty of those in recent years. I'd wish him luck and hope it comes off for us if it happens. Just surprised by your stance here. It took me about two minutes to find this quote, I'm sure I could find plenty more if I wanted.

With Sang, Evans, Waite and Colwill as young attacking midfielders here I'd have thought you'd be mortified to find the club blocking their pathway to the first team before the new manager has even seen them play an under 23 game.
    I'm sure there are plenty of quotes of mine you could find to show what you think is a contradictory attitude, but what someone says at a certain time shouldn't automatically be what they say at another one because circumstances change and I would say they have at City.

For a start, let's look at the situation that is likely to face whoever is our manager when the transfer window opens in the summer. In particular, let's consider the position in which Jonny Williams is likely to play which I'd say is wing or attacking midfielder through the middle. This summer, the situation in those positions will, surely, be something like;-

Hoilett - out of contract and reaching the veteran stage
    Wilson - pretty sure Liverpool would be looking to sell him and, even if we could afford him, is there any real chance of him signing for us given his experiences here this season?
    Ojo - same as Wilson, but he could be within our price range, so it seems possible he could be back next season.
    Murphy - going into the last year of his contract, so, for me, it would be sensible to try and sell him for a variety of reasons including he hasn't looked happy here since Warnock left him out of that Fulham game.
    Whyte - could play so well at Hull that we'd love to have him back, but I doubt it, it seems more likely he'll be out on loan again or, possibly sold if, say, Hull get promoted.
    Tomlin - fitness and age issues, I'd say it's unlikely that we'll see the Tomlin of 19/20 again, but he could still be an influence on games and I'd say it's likely he'll be here next season.

I could also go into details about likely issues at full back, centreback and goalkeeper (Smithies is another one I'd consider selling in the summer), while I think our midfield needs a clear out and complete rebuild. However, sticking to Williams' positions, if we sign him today on, say, the eighteen month contract that's been mentioned above that's one of what needs to be five or six players in that position covered for 21/22 - you make it sound as if his arrival slams the door for the four young players you mention, whereas it seems to me that the summer coming up should represent the best opportunity there's been for young players to break into the first team squad in ages in all areas of the pitch.

If it were my decision, James Waite would have played first team football by now and would be a regular member of the senior squad, but I think that train has left the station now so to speak. However, I'd say anyone who the players you name trusts when it comes to their careers should be telling them to keep their head down, train hard and play as they can in the next few weeks and months because they have a great chance of breaking through given what's likely to happen with the senior players in their positions currently at the club.

Welshlad is usually right when it comes to new signings and if he says Williams is "pretty much a free transfer" then I believe him - if we were paying £500k or above for him, my attitude would be different, but I think he's worth taking a chance on given the likely cost in terms of fee and wages.

Bowyer has confirmed he’s having a medical here

Mick McCarthy and Jonny Williams, would have been content with this about 7 years ago.

Looks like he's on his way from that link.

New player hopefully match fit, fresh face in the MF desperately needed albeit not the ideal profile, one who will be keen to impress.

I expect our fortunes to improve, short term at least and we will hopefully all get behind JW and wish him well.

If I was the parent of a promising u18/u23 player on the verge of breaking into the first team though, I'd be thinking a bit differently.

The fee and likely wage are more in keeping with the type of transfers we are likely to be making, but the player’s injury record plus lack of goals / assists for a creative player means he’ll be a squad player at best. I don’t see him as a regular starter in a team aiming for promotion at this level, whilst his performances at international level are no more significant than those of Gavin Whyte for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Mick McCarthy and Jonny Williams, would have been content with this about 7 years ago.
    Clubs a ****ing joke

Apart from the injuries it is his consistency I would be a little concerned about. For every good performance in a Wales shirt, like in Bordeaux and Bulgaria away, there have been two or three average ones. Certainly never has a signature tune been less warranted as he surrenders the ball quite cheaply at times. To his credit he does work hard to both close the opposition and track back, which is not always the case for our more creative players.

I can't see him being played week in week out as a starter but could change things up off the bench or as a more expansive option if form improves.

Mick OUT

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Looks like he's on his way from that link.

New player hopefully match fit, fresh face in the MF desperately needed albeit not the ideal profile, one who will be keen to impress.

I expect our fortunes to improve, short term at least and we will hopefully all get behind JW and wish him well.

If I was the parent of a promising u18/u23 player on the verge of breaking into the first team though, I'd be thinking a bit differently.
    To be fair, if the club are signing someone you'd rather they were injury prone like Jonny is

And he's a Wales international and all round nice guy who's dealt with setbacks and injury problems so would probably be good for some advice

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Jordan Rhodes in a swap deal with Murphy. It just goes from bad to worse.
    We've somehow got to get Murphy off the wagebill.

can we at least all agree to call him Jonny Williams, not Joniesta - I find that extremely cringe worthy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    or get him performing to his potential

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Mick OUT
    That's taking the Mick, surely? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    can we at least all agree to call him Jonny Williams, not Joniesta - I find that extremely cringe worthy
    Absolutely spot on! Yuk! It devalues the name of a great Spanish player.

OMG - Jonny Williams be better off signing Johnny Rotten, bit more creativity and fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Absolutely spot on! Yuk! It devalues the name of a great Spanish player.
    No it doesn't

I agree it's a shite nickname though

Williesta instead then yeah?

Think there's pros and cons to this deal (most of which have been covered). I have always thought that he's a good player, but his best attributes are completely unsuited to League 1 and the Championship. Maybe his career would have been better served if he'd played in a slower, more technical league, like Spain or Portugal.

To be honest, the bigger surprise is how so many of you have found the time to watch all of Jonny's games for Charlton and Sunderland over the past few years. Fair play to you all.

But he plays like Iniesta and he never gives the ball awayyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What by giving him a free and adding Jordan Rhodes?

Hopefully this doesn't happen anyway.

It's getting hard to avoid the concluding that they're gearing down.
    Flint, Williams Rhodes in and Harry Wilson out.

Worrying.