+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

We've just paid £200k for a current Welsh International attacking midfielder who is approaching his prime. That's a hell of a bargain

When he scored his goal for Wales recently and Gabbs and Collins were in the studio, they talked about how he had been working with a sports psychologist regarding his injuries. At the time i thought it was a very candid discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    We've just paid £200k for a current Welsh International attacking midfielder who is approaching his prime. That's a hell of a bargain
    While I have reservations about him I will also say that he has impressed me at times, and certainly has skills which we need in midfield. If he stays fit he could prove a good signing - but that's such a big if. I hope he proves my reservations completely wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    When he scored his goal for Wales recently and Gabbs and Collins were in the studio, they talked about how he had been working with a sports psychologist regarding his injuries. At the time i thought it was a very candid discussion.
    On the subject of that goal, I’m not sure there’s too many players at City who would have been able to score it - it was a very good finish which makes you wonder why he hasn’t scored more.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JhVmETCLNMM&feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On the subject of that goal, I’m not sure there’s too many players at City who would have been able to score it - it was a very good finish which makes you wonder why he hasn’t scored more.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JhVmETCLNMM&feature=share
    This isn't Jonny bashing because I like the guy and hope he proves a few people wrong on here but do you think it's a good finish or did he just stick his foot out and hope? I remember thinking that at the time when people were talking about what a great finish it was like that was exactly what he had in mind.

Might very well be my ignorance but to me he was in the right place (in itself commendable) and stuck his foot out as the ball game in and it ended up looking like a great finish when he didn't really know where it was going to go. Not that I cared, huge goal that was.

The goal's at about 2:12 on that link by the way for anybody who wants to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This isn't Jonny bashing because I like the guy and hope he proves a few people wrong on here but do you think it's a good finish or did he just stick his foot out and hope? I remember thinking that at the time when people were talking about what a great finish it was like that was exactly what he had in mind.

Might very well be my ignorance but to me he was in the right place (in itself commendable) and stuck his foot out as the ball game in and it ended up looking like a great finish when he didn't really know where it was going to go. Not that I cared, huge goal that was.

The goal's at about 2:12 on that link by the way for anybody who wants to watch it
    Well, Dave Edwards says that Williams only needed to get a touch on it, so you might be right, but he’s outside the near post when he hits it, so he’s had to hit it across his body and it would have been easy for him to have put it over the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Just read on the Charlton site that it’s the 3rd time MM has signed him.....
    Incredibly, it's the fifth time McCarthy has signed Williams - he had four separate loan spells at Ipswich.

The first was during the second half of the 2013/14 season, when he made 11 (+2) Championship appearances.

The second and third loan spells came during 2014/15. He made 4 (+1) Championship appearances in his first spell, which was marred by injury problems. He returned to Portman Road for another couple of months late in the season, but made only two sub appearances thanks to more injury issues.

Williams joined Ipswich for a fourth time for the whole of the 2016/17 campaign and guess what? Injuries restricted him to just one start and seven sub appearances.

So, his league appearance stats in four loan spells for McCarthy read as follows:

2013/14: 11 (+2) appearances
    2014/15: 4 (+1) appearances
    2014/15: 0 (+2) appearances
    2016/17: 1 (+7) appearances

Total: 16 (+12) appearances

Given his terrible injury record during his second, third and fourth loan spells at Ipswich, you'd have thought Mick McCarthy would have been one of the last managers who would have wanted to sign Jonny Williams. But apparently not.

Thankfully it's only a short term contract, if it comes off fine, he wont be here next season and neither will Mick

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Incredibly, it's the fifth time McCarthy has signed Williams - he had four separate loan spells at Ipswich.

The first was during the second half of the 2013/14 season, when he made 11 (+2) Championship appearances.

The second and third loan spells came during 2014/15. He made 4 (+1) Championship appearances in his first spell, which was marred by injury problems. He returned to Portman Road for another couple of months late in the season, but made only two sub appearances thanks to more injury issues.

Williams joined Ipswich for a fourth time for the whole of the 2016/17 campaign and guess what? Injuries restricted him to just one start and seven sub appearances.

So, his league appearance stats in four loan spells for McCarthy read as follows:

2013/14: 11 (+2) appearances
    2014/15: 4 (+1) appearances
    2014/15: 0 (+2) appearances
    2016/17: 1 (+7) appearances

Total: 16 (+12) appearances

Given his terrible injury record during his second, third and fourth loan spells at Ipswich, you'd have thought Mick McCarthy would have been one of the last managers who would have wanted to sign Jonny Williams. But apparently not.
    That's quite a stat.

Puts the Don Cowie, Malky love child thing into the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, Dave Edwards says that Williams only needed to get a touch on it, so you might be right, but he’s outside the near post when he hits it, so he’s had to hit it across his body and it would have been easy for him to have put it over the bar.
    It is an absolutely brilliant finish, someone with that quality should score a lot more goals too. It's also come late on where we desperately needed a goal. He knows he can't thrash at it, it's a great goal.

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    He's got thrush as well?

Jonny Williams has appeared in 9 out of 20 games since he signed for us. He played for a total of 174 minutes and didn't create or score a single goal. We lost 5-0 to the team that finished bottom of the league in the only game he started.

I bet we give him a contract extension.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Jonny Williams has appeared in 9 out of 20 games since he signed for us. He played for a total of 174 minutes and didn't create or score a single goal. We lost 5-0 to the team that finished bottom of the league in the only game he started.

I bet we give him a contract extension.
    Which of those 5 goals were his fault again?

Jonny Williams was signed on a 6 month contract on a cheap deal. He's been a squad player this year and will step up next year if we extend.

Josh Murphy gets paid buckets more but was outscored by Mark Harris in 17 fewer games. Let's see if Jonny can provide more or less than 2 goals and 5 assists in 34 games next year, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Jonny Williams was signed on a 6 month contract on a cheap deal. He's been a squad player this year and will step up next year if we extend.

Josh Murphy gets paid buckets more but was outscored by Mark Harris in 17 fewer games. Let's see if Jonny can provide more or less than 2 goals and 5 assists in 34 games next year, eh?
    Jonny Williams is one of those players who is technically competent and nice to watch, but completely ineffective when it comes to the business of winning games of football in the Championship. He won't step up next season and we'll probably be scrapping it out in a relegation battle if he features regularly for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Jonny Williams is one of those players who is technically competent and nice to watch, but completely ineffective when it comes to the business of winning games of football in the Championship. He won't step up next season and we'll probably be scrapping it out in a relegation battle if he features regularly for us.
    Sadly I have to agree with this, very busy but no end product. Like a poor mans Harry Arter

Hasn’t McCarthy practically admitted that he’ll be with us next year, competing for the position with Rubin Colwill?

I cannot see anything about Williams worth giving him a new contract for next season.

I'd keep him as a squad player providing much need experience and support to Colwill and Sang who become first teamers.

Jonny Williams made his Championship debut for Crystal Palace in August 2011. Since then, he's started a grand total of just 91 Premier League and Football League matches.

To put that figure into perspective, Joe Ralls is three days younger than Williams. He made his Championship debut for Cardiff City in October 2011. Since then, he's started 253 Premier League and Football League matches.

Depends on his wage I guess, I'm not bothered either way but he's nothing more than a squad player.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Semantics. Most of Murphys appearances were as sub.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Jonny Williams made his Championship debut for Crystal Palace in August 2011. Since then, he's started a grand total of just 91 Premier League and Football League matches.
    This is a concern. Why would McCarthy sign such an injury prone player, for such an important position?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with this, very busy but no end product. Like a poor mans Harry Arter
    Have to agree. If MM has Jonny Williams here next season it will be evidence he doesn't know what he is doing. We signed him from a mid table league one side where he wasn't a regular and most of their fans weren't bothered about him leaving as they thought it didn't effect their chances of making the playoffs. Mid table league one side is his level.

Well what a waste of time that was.