+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

He'd form a fine front three with Tomlin and Vassell.......in the treatment room. He'd be a total waste of funds. 90 League starts and 84 subs appearances in 10 years. Unless we are preparing for League 1 next year?

You’d think after the signings of Huws and Richards we would have learned our lesson from this type of signing.

He can’t even get in Charltons starting XI on a regular basis ffs

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Alex Mowatt is out of contract with Barnsley in the summer. He'd be a much better signing.
    If we make the assumption that we're able to beat out the competition and sign that player, that means our wingers next year would be Mowatt and Murphy only.

Cardiff feel their academy has a lot of potential and that is why they have overhauled the structure. They would ideally like a hybrid squad, with more experienced players still in situ to bring through exciting youngsters - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare
    We need to think about players who:

i) fit our budget
    ii) fill a need in the squad now or in the immediate future
    iii) help with the aim of playing more football
    iv) either meet the aim of bringing squad age down (increasing value, increasing dynamism in squad) or support the younger players coming through
    v) help us win and climb the table

It's so bizarre to read thread after thread about being bored with our style of play and there being no longer term plan then this thread which contradicts at least four bullet points out of the five.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Alex Mowatt is out of contract with Barnsley in the summer. He'd be a much better signing.
    Apparently Barnsley want 1m plus for him, so it’s a bit of a non starter!

As people have said, he offers something different from the players we have already got. Buys free kicks better than most at this level, free kicks being important with the aerial ability we have. 200k? Worth a go for that, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If we make the assumption that we're able to beat out the competition and sign that player, that means our wingers next year would be Mowatt and Murphy only.
    I'm not sure what you're on about. Mowatt is a central midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    When MM leaves Wilson on the bench, I really don't see the need for this signing.

It's not that area of the pitch that we're weakest
    I think Wilson needed a kick up the arse. I hope he starts next week, that cameo was his best performance for us. He was a constant danger to Millwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Apparently Barnsley want 1m plus for him, so it’s a bit of a non starter!
    Apparently, Barnsley are hopeful of keeping him in this transfer window, but even if they don't sell him, he can sign a pre-contract agreement with other clubs because he's over 23 and his existing deal runs out in less than 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He'd form a fine front three with Tomlin and Vassell.......in the treatment room. He'd be a total waste of funds. 90 League starts and 84 subs appearances in 10 years. Unless we are preparing for League 1 next year?
    I was thinking exactly the same.

Those stats are alarmingly bad and should be one of the first things our transfer committee should be looking at, a deciding factor in looking elsewhere.

Let's hope that this story is being used as leverage/a smokescreen for a marquee signing!

We need to think about players who:

i) fit our budget
    ii) fill a need in the squad now or in the immediate future
    iii) help with the aim of playing more football
    iv) either meet the aim of bringing squad age down (increasing value, increasing dynamism in squad) or support the younger players coming through
    v) help us win and climb the table

It's so bizarre to read thread after thread about being bored with our style of play and there being no longer term plan then this thread where several moan about a player who meets at least four out of the five desirable qualities which form our longer term plan.
    Correction just in case there was any confusion in what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same.

Those stats are alarmingly bad and should be one of the first things our transfer committee should be looking at, a deciding factor in looking elsewhere.

Let's hope that this story is being used as leverage/a smokescreen for a marquee signing!
    We’re more likely to be buying a marquee.

He’s an excellent footballer, 45 mins each with tomlin, midfield sorted,

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I thought we were a Welsh club so we should have a majority of Welsh players who are proud to play in the Capital of Wales!
    Should we play in the League of Wales too?

Heisenberg

Correction just in case there was any confusion in what I meant.
    He's one of the most injury prone professional footballers that I can think of, he as has never been able to produce performances in this division and he actually seems to be struggling in the league below this one. Why on earth would we be excited about him signing?

I don't think we want him necessarily because he's a Wales international but because McCarthy worked with him before and likes him

Goals & assists aren't the only metric to judge a player either

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think we want him necessarily because he's a Wales international but because McCarthy worked with him before and likes him

Goals & assists aren't the only metric to judge a player either
    They are when you’re an attacking player

How tall is he??
    Watching yesterday he may need some height or he's likely to get neck ache watching the ball fly over his head.

Rather Arter

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not really, they're important obviously but there are other things that are measured which indicate how good they are, chances created, ball progression etc. You can create 5 great chances, but get no assists because the striker's shit, that's hardly your fault

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    McCarthy had him on loan at Ipswich, so maybe he knows how to get the best out of him.
    Based on what we've seen so far, getting the best out of anything doesn't seem to be McCarthy's strong point.

He could combine with Flint couldn't he ?
    I'm wondering whether MM understands that players who were good six years ago might be getting a bit worn out in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Didn’t Modric have about 4 assists the season before he signed for Madrid?

Assists can be misleading imo, it’s can often be just the last pass before a goal after someone else has done all the work.

I'd rather he play in the 10 role when Tomlin is injured than Ralls or Bacuna.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not really, they're important obviously but there are other things that are measured which indicate how good they are, chances created, ball progression etc. You can create 5 great chances, but get no assists because the striker's shit, that's hardly your fault
    I'm not overly enthused about this speculation, but if it's a stop gap thing on an 18 month deal then i suppose it's tolerable. Maybe the thinking is that we have nobody in midfield with the ability to carry the ball in a central position, 10 yards or so in order to break the lines a bit and link up play. If he's cheap enough then it may be a short term solution in linking Moore with the midfield a bit more effectively. Williams is a bit like Barry Bannan in the way he plays, likes to get at deep lying midfielders etc, although not as good as Bannan at this level. Maybe it's an option to see what can be done with a player who will get on the ball and try to exploit those little pockets of space that Wilson did so perfectly yesterday for the goal-Not a long term solution, but certainly someone who can create those little angles that can pull a defender out for a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He's one of the most injury prone professional footballers that I can think of, he as has never been able to produce performances in this division and he actually seems to be struggling in the league below this one. Why on earth would we be excited about him signing?
    There are potential red flags about this signing but we need to replace three wingers/offensive midfielders this off-season and this rumour fits at least four of the five things we're looking for in a player. I would expect the reaction to be more positive than negative, but am not asking anyone to go as far as being excited.

If we have visions of him playing deeper in the midfield then positivity should be higher again.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Didn’t Modric have about 4 assists the season before he signed for Madrid?

Assists can be misleading imo, it’s can often be just the last pass before a goal after someone else has done all the work.
    They play in different positions