+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not really, they're important obviously but there are other things that are measured which indicate how good they are, chances created, ball progression etc. You can create 5 great chances, but get no assists because the striker's shit, that's hardly your fault
    Ok, he has on average created 0.5 chances per game this season and drawn 1.3 fouls. This notion he’s going to create loads of chances and draw loads of fouls for us to score off set pieces is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ok, he has on average created 0.5 chances per game this season and drawn 1.3 fouls. This notion he’s going to create loads of chances and draw loads of fouls for us to score off set pieces is laughable.
    I don't think he's going to solve all our problems, but I thin he'd be a better option at 10 than Ralls or Bacuna

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    He could combine with Flint couldn't he ?
    I'm wondering whether MM understands that players who were good six years ago might be getting a bit worn out in 2021.
    Maybe he can tempt Keith Andrews out of retirement

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think he's going to solve all our problems, but I thin he'd be a better option at 10 than Ralls or Bacuna
    We already have players in our squad who could do a better job at 10 than those. Ojo, Wilson and Murphy to name 3.

Just no, no, no and then a no

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not overly enthused about this speculation, but if it's a stop gap thing on an 18 month deal then i suppose it's tolerable. Maybe the thinking is that we have nobody in midfield with the ability to carry the ball in a central position, 10 yards or so in order to break the lines a bit and link up play. If he's cheap enough then it may be a short term solution in linking Moore with the midfield a bit more effectively. Williams is a bit like Barry Bannan in the way he plays, likes to get at deep lying midfielders etc, although not as good as Bannan at this level. Maybe it's an option to see what can be done with a player who will get on the ball and try to exploit those little pockets of space that Wilson did so perfectly yesterday for the goal-Not a long term solution, but certainly someone who can create those little angles that can pull a defender out for a split second.
    Bannan is out of contract with Sheffield Wednesday in the summer. Perhaps we should try to sign him instead.

Mick needs to **** up and stop being a twat to Harry Wilson. Using a 23 year old kid to stamp his authority on the squad. Pathetic.

Wilson’s numbers are far, far better than Williams this season yet has playing a division higher and apparently not set the world alight even those hes got 9 goal contributions at the half way stage of the season.

Another "sicknote" for the treatment room

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    There are potential red flags about this signing but we need to replace three wingers/offensive midfielders this off-season and this rumour fits at least four of the five things we're looking for in a player. I would expect the reaction to be more positive than negative, but am not asking anyone to go as far as being excited.

If we have visions of him playing deeper in the midfield then positivity should be higher again.
    I can't see a single positive in signing someone who has missed more games than he's played in his career because of injuries and, despite those injuries, has never produced any type of form that makes him look like he'd be capable of producing what we would need him to do.

At least someone like Jack Wilshere has shown that he could perform at the highest level, despite his recurring injuries. Williams has struggled at Championship level and is now struggling in League One... I cannot see a positive.

I have to agree with the posters who have said that his potential signing wouldn't be defended if he wasn't Welsh.

They play in different positions
    That doesn’t change the point though does it

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I can't see a single positive in signing someone who has missed more games than he's played in his career because of injuries and, despite those injuries, has never produced any type of form that makes him look like he'd be capable of producing what we would need him to do.

At least someone like Jack Wilshere has shown that he could perform at the highest level, despite his recurring injuries. Williams has struggled at Championship level and is now struggling in League One... I cannot see a positive.

I have to agree with the posters who have said that his potential signing wouldn't be defended if he wasn't Welsh.
    If it's all about goals/assists we might as well get Patterson back. If you can't see any positivity in a player who (for less than £200K - if he is a risk because of his injury record he's not an expensive risk) fits at least four out of five of the things we want from new signings then we're clearly seeing things differently.

I'm happy to say I wouldn't have spent so many posts/time supporting him if he wasn't Welsh, but was anything I said incorrect?

I thought that this type of signing was a policy that was being binned, The tremendous faith I have in our transfer committee I hope means that these rumours are way off the mark

And I reckon that 27 is his showbiz age, he’s not a day under 35

If it's all about goals/assists we might as well get Patterson back. If you can't see any positivity in a player who (for less than £200K - if he is a risk because of his injury record he's not an expensive risk) fits at least four out of five of the things we want from new signings then we're clearly seeing things differently.

I'm happy to say I wouldn't have spent so many posts/time supporting him if he wasn't Welsh, but was anything I said incorrect?
    Fits 4 out of 5 criteria you’ve made up and in your opinion tho. That’s not fact, it’s opinion.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Surely it does though? You can't compare the stats of players in different positions. Jonny Williams' job is to be creative as he's an attacking midfielder.

Modric's job at Spurs was to boss the midfield, control possession and give the ball to the attacking players who then create the goal scoring opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Of course it does. Stick to politics Crusty you are making yourself look very silly.

Surely it does though? You can't compare the stats of players in different positions. Jonny Williams' job is to be creative as he's an attacking midfielder.

Modric's job at Spurs was to boss the midfield, control possession and give the ball to the attacking players who then create the goal scoring opportunities.
    Exactly. Absolutely stupid comparison. If anything we need someone in the Modric position than we do Williams. We need someone deeper to feed the likes of Wilson, Ojo, Murphy because Vaulks and Ralls couldn’t pass wind.

Fits 4 out of 5 criteria you’ve made up and in your opinion tho. That’s not fact, it’s opinion.
    Do you disagree with the criteria points chosen? Or that this player fits as many as I've said?

) fits our budget
    ii) fills a need in the squad now or in the immediate future
    iii) helps with the aim of playing more football
    iv) either meets the aim of bringing squad age down (increasing value, increasing dynamism in squad) or supports the younger players coming through
    v) helps us win and climb the table

I think he fits the first four of these bullet points and might help us with the fifth. Btw, they're not in any particular order.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Fantastic in his prime but not the answer anymore
    He is only 27 isn't he ? Should be in his prime now.

Heisenberg

All of it. Why are we even looking at Jonny Williams? He doesn't meet any of your so-called criteria except for him being affordable.

Just to prove my point, Jake Forster-Caskey is a 26 year old midfielder who hasn't proven himself at championship level, is out of contract at the end of the season and is in and out of the Charlton team... Just like JW.

The difference between the two is that JFC doesn't have an injury record longer than a roll of Andrew and has got slightly better creative stats than JW this season.

Shall we take a look at him if he's going for £200k or should we be looking for players who improve upon what we already have and look like they can make the difference we need to aim for promotion?

As I've said in all of my posts... Jonny Williams is struggling in League One. He should not even be on our radar.

Do you disagree with the criteria points chosen? Or that this player fits as many as I've said?

) fits our budget
    iv) either meets the aim of bringing squad age down (increasing value, increasing dynamism in squad) or supports the younger players coming through

I think he fits the first four of these bullet points and might help us with the fifth. Btw, they're not in any particular order.
    No I don’t agree apart from him being affordable. So are scores of other players.

Heisenberg

) fits our budget

The problem with your criteria is that Graham Kavanagh literally meets 3 of the 5.

Mick Mcarthy can **** right off if this is the calibre of signing we are after.

Bring back Neil Harris

The transfer window shutting can’t come quick enough

All of it. Why are we even looking at Jonny Williams? He doesn't meet any of your so-called criteria except for him being affordable.
    i) fits our budget

i) you agree with.

ii) The majority of times I've seen him play for Wales it was an attacking midfielder. At the end of this season we lost three players in this position leaving us with just Murphy (underperformed since signing, hopefully can change that going forward) and Tomlin (can we rely on him?).

iii) Think it's fair to say that Jonny is skillful on the ball. Maybe unproductive but few would question his ability to control, pass, recycle the ball or win free-kicks.

iv) Is there anything we've seen that suggests Jonny would be a positive person around the dressing room and help support younger players coming through? I'd ask if there is anything that doesn't show that because countless documentaries/videos/interviews show he's a good bloke to have around.

v) This is where I think we share some doubts.

I'm not saying get excited just that I think we should be more positive than negative on that basis.

All I’m saying is you can’t completely judge a player by one metric.

I don’t think this would be a good signing.