+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Williams starts fairly often for Wales and has been selected in front of the likes of Wilson and Lawrence. While I accept there are misgivings about his injury record, I think you’re making some assumptions about Williams’ current state of fitness.
    Hes started 3 competitive games in the last 2 years for Wales. 4 if you count the friendly against England.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    But you've misunderstood. No one has said we're only signing younger players from now on but the aim of the squad is to be "ideally like a hybrid squad, with more experienced players still in situ to bring through exciting youngsters."

That means signing more younger players than older ones given who is already here, but if there is a player who fits a need on a good deal then why would we turn our noses up at it? From what I can tell in that Glen Williams article this would be just our second player over the age of 25 in our 9 most recent signings, and in window where we've also moved Cunningham on so we can bring Brown back.

Maybe I'm a bit bored of the negativity about everything (and overly pro-Jonny Williams) so will take a break now. I do think we should be able to be more nuanced in our analysis of potential transfers and dare I say supportive or our players though.
    Weve got plenty of experienced players in the squad, we dont need Williams for his experience. Hes not that experienced anyway unless you mean experience of the treatment room. Hes started less than 100 games in his career and hes 28 this year. The most league appearances in one season is a massive 26. Its usually around the 10-20 mark. Why we think this guy can have a dramatic effect over the course of a 46 game championship season I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hes started 3 competitive games in the last 2 years for Wales. 4 if you count the friendly against England.
    But he’s started in front of players that there’s no way we could sign for £250k tomorrow and that’s an important point as far as I’m concerned - that sort of fee is nothing these days and it’s hardly as if he’s that old (to read some of the comments in this thread you’d think he was forty!).

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do you know how many times he has played 90 minutes for Charlton this season?
    No, but I’m guessing around the same number as Tomlin did for us last season.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Lets be honest, in your position as a devout critic of everything that Cardiff City does, you wouldn't be happy if we signed Messi or Mbappe.
    Oh, hi dml. While I've got your attention, can you provide the source of your claim that Sheffield United paid more than a million pounds in loan fees for Madine?

Thanks.

But he’s started in front of players that there’s no way we could sign for £250k tomorrow and that’s an important point as far as I’m concerned - that sort of fee is nothing these days and it’s hardly as if he’s that old (to read some of the comments in this thread you’d think he was forty!).
    So what Wilson has started in front of him too. Starting in front of someone 3 times in 2 years is hardly massive kudos at international level when we are talking about club level and a 46 game season.

To use your logic theres average league one players starting in front of him regularly for Charlton. Then it should beg the question why? If starting a game is so important to you Jonny Williams is the wrong man to be using, hes appeared in more professional games off the bench than the start.

250k is somone on 10k a week on a 6 month loan. Might be peanuts to you but when the club are saying weve got to get rid of people off the wagebill before we can add to the squad why are we wasting a wage on a crock who has never done anything in this division?

I just think he is too injury prone. A fine player when fit, which isn’t gfrequent enough for a 46 game league season. If he joined City, I would add a caveat to the terms and conditions that whilst with CCFC he would not be allowed to play for Wales.

Shame he wasnt as productive as Tomlin in the minutes he does have on the pitch. Charlton might not have been relegated.

Once (in the first round of the FA Cup).

Tomlin played 90 minutes for us 12 times in the Championship last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It’s absolutely amazing that both of us replied saying the same thing within a minute of each other to a message from hours ago! Talk about coincidence! I’m not accusing you of anything sinister here, just thinking about it, mad timing!
    Pure coincidence, Your post wasn't up there when i was writing mine......honest! I was looking up the rules online.

So what Wilson has started in front of him too. Starting in front of someone 3 times in 2 years is hardly massive kudos at international level when we are talking about club level and a 46 game season.

To use your logic theres average league one players starting in front of him regularly for Charlton. Then it should beg the question why? If starting a game is so important to you Jonny Williams is the wrong man to be using, hes appeared in more professional games off the bench than the start.

250k is somone on 10k a week on a 6 month loan. Might be peanuts to you but when the club are saying weve got to get rid of people off the wagebill before we can add to the squad why are we wasting a wage on a crock who has never done anything in this division?
    bEcAuSe hE iS wElSh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Pure coincidence, Your post wasn't up there when i was writing mine......honest! I was looking up the rules online.
    I think you're correct, but I can't find it written down anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Once (in the first round of the FA Cup).

Tomlin played 90 minutes for us 12 times in the Championship last season.
    Yes, but is Tomlin Welsh?

I don't think Williams will solve our problems but I also don't get this strange sneering attitude some have towards people who want more Welsh payers in the squad. Most fans of English clubs want more English players in their team so why is it any different for Cardiff fans to want more Welsh players?

Jordan Rhodes in a swap deal with Murphy. It just goes from bad to worse.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think Williams will solve our problems but I also don't get this strange sneering attitude some have towards people who want more Welsh payers in the squad. Most fans of English clubs want more English players in their team so why is it any different for Cardiff fans to want more Welsh players?
    Because weve only just got Jazz Richards off the books and this signing just smacks of another Jazz Richards. Injury prone league 1 player.

I don't want us to sign players who aren't good enough for the Championship just because they're Welsh.

Heisenberg

Having Welsh players for the sake of it is what I don't agree with. I was happy with the Vaulks, Wilson and Moore signings but argued with those wanting us to sign Ledley and Gunter... And now Jonny Williams.

If we were linked with signing Neco Williams then that would be great... But wanting to sign Jonny Williams just because of the fact he's Welsh/chose to play for Wales makes no sense to me.

Is David Edwards still playing at Shrewsbury? There would be potentially some posters on here advocating us signing him because he's Welsh.

Williams rocked up at Sunderland in their relegation season.

Sign league 1 quality players and dont be suprised when thats where you end up.

Crap signing hope its not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Having Welsh players for the sake of it is what I don't agree with. I was happy with the Vaulks, Wilson and Moore signings but argued with those wanting us to sign Ledley and Gunter... And now Jonny Williams.

If we were linked with signing Neco Williams then that would be great... But wanting to sign Jonny Williams just because of the fact he's Welsh/chose to play for Wales makes no sense to me.

Is David Edwards still playing at Shrewsbury? There would be potentially some posters on here advocating us signing him because he's Welsh.
    hE cOuLd dO a jOb fOr uS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

NML came from League 1. So did Moore. He's here to do a job until the end of the season - Just like McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    NML came from League 1. So did Moore. He's here to do a job until the end of the season - Just like McCarthy.
    So we are going to pay a transfer fee for a player and only give him a 5 month contract?

Knowing our lot he'll get a 3.5 year deal.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We signed Moore from Wigan after he had a good season for them and had scored a decent amount of goals in the Championship. Wigan only got relegated because they went into administration and had a huge points deduction. They were mid-table before the points deduction came into play after the final whistle of their last game of the season.

Also, if you think Williams would only be here until the end of the season then why are we allegedly spending £200k on him? That would be even worse business than I already think it is.

So we are going to pay a transfer fee for a player and only give him a 5 month contract?

Knowing our lot he'll get a 3.5 year deal.
    What's the club worth ? £70 million ? Whatever it is, it will halve as soon as we are relegated. At the moment and the way we are playing I don't think the club is thinking beyond the end of this season

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Personally I don't think he's the worst player in the world, I just a) don't think that's a priority and b) can't see how we can rely on him when his injury record is awful