+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Joniesta

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Personally I don't think he's the worst player in the world, I just a) don't think that's a priority and b) can't see how we can rely on him when his injury record is awful
    No hes not the worst. Hes League 1 standard and a poor injury record.

Pointless signing and if he was with us and we were looking to improve wed be looking to get rid.

Id rather just stick with what we got than add him to the not good enough list.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    NML came from League 1. So did Moore. He's here to do a job until the end of the season - Just like McCarthy.
    I did say League 1 quality.

The key with lower league players is identifying those that are better than that level.

Williams is a league 1 quality player.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Doesn’t alter the point that there are plenty of players for whom playing ninety minutes is a rarity.
    If that is the argument: if they can't last 90mins then they surely must have the required quality to influence a game when they do play?

Williams has never shown that in League football.

I mentioned Wilshere earlier. I can see why Bournemouth took a punt on him as he's shown that he can perform in the Premier League despite his injury problems. Williams hasn't even looked a good quality Championship player when he's played in the division.

There's too many reasons not to sign him imo.

**** me this forum

Let's have Johnny Williams playing as a 10 in front of Harry Arter and Joe Ledley, some of you guys have to be Swansea fans on a wind up

God knows where Williams got his nickname from, I think Will Vaulks has more contributions than Williams and he's only played 3 seasons at this level! As for him being Welsh, he may represent us internationally but the guy was born in Kent, let's not trip over ourselves for some injury prone league 1 player cause he has a few caps for Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    **** me this forum

Let's have Johnny Williams playing as a 10 in front of Harry Arter and Joe Ledley, some of you guys have to be Swansea fans on a wind up

God knows where Williams got his nickname from, I think Will Vaulks has more contributions than Williams and he's only played 3 seasons at this level! As for him being Welsh, he may represent us internationally but the guy was born in Kent, let's not trip over ourselves for some injury prone league 1 player cause he has a few caps for Wales
    I remember when we signed Will Vaulks, there were a fair few who were spinning cartwheels over the signing. I didn't have a clue as i'd never seen him play. Whenever we pick up a bit of an unknown player there's an expert or two on here who must've watched the respective player at least six times, not only that, but must have obviously studied said player. When Arter signed people were bigging up his ability to play and his obvious football brain, again, i didn't have a clue. I does make me reach the conclusion that some people on here are completely full of shit.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And some of the closed minds in this thread aren’t baffling me at all. The attitude already remarked upon about anybody who is more willing to consider the prospect of signing Williams only doing so because he is Welsh is a bit childish isn’t it? I set out at some length what I thought was a logical argument as to why in this particular case for this particular player the fact that he is Welsh is relevant- so far, it’s been completely ignored.
    ... But some people have claimed that they want him to sign because he's Welsh and another poster has said that he's defending the signing a lot more than he would have if Williams wasn't Welsh. You can look back for yourself should you wish.

The other reasons that have been given include his age, his position on the pitch and the fact that he's affordable. Those reasons are completely baffling.

Your argument that he's been picked over other players for Wales on a few occasions doesn't seem like much of an argument to me to either.

How many competitive games did he start for Wales last year? 1. When we were missing Ramsey, Lawrence and Brooks (Ben Woodburn was even in the squad for that one btw)

How many times did he come on as a sub? 0

So, even though it's not quite as baffling as some other reasons given,
    it's stilll not a strong argument to be made either imo.

If it was a loan until the end of the season then not a terrible idea.

I think if I was Tan I'd be asking MM to get the most from Wilson and then Tomlin hopefully back in a few weeks.

With a new manager expected in the summer I don't really like the idea of injury prone players coming in and I do see him as a bit of a niche kind it player for a new manager.

Not totally against it but probably rather we didn't.

The more I find out about this man, this story MUST be bollocks.
    If it happened, on the back of dropping Harry Wilson and repeated Flint selection. I'd be worried about MMs state of mind.

I really hope this transfer doesn't happen, this guy doesn't offer too much in my opinion.

Also I hope we don't get into this syndrome of signing players because they're Welsh; that would be a disastrous move. We need players here solely on merit and affordability. In which case I'd be much happier if we sought better bargains from the foreign market.

I'm not in favour of him signing either. But...McCarthy know him, and he is good running with the ball and creating things. He could play off the bench or in the middle with two from Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks or Pack. We do need an extra body or two at the moment.

Having said that he is always injured and inconsistent when he plays, so he should fit in here fine! But surely there must be a promising 22/23 year old somewhere we could pick up for the same money. We'll be signing Adam Matthews, Tom Lockyer or Deji Oshilaja next.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I'm not in favour of him signing either. But...McCarthy know him, and he is good running with the ball and creating things. He could play off the bench or in the middle with two from Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks or Pack. We do need an extra body or two at the moment.

Having said that he is always injured and inconsistent when he plays, so he should fit in here fine! But surely there must be a promising 22/23 year old somewhere we could pick up for the same money. We'll be signing Adam Matthews, Tom Lockyer or Deji Oshilaja next.
    I'm not sure McCarthy has much to do with this. He said that we were hoping to sign a player who we'd been looking at since before he joined the club.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure McCarthy has much to do with this. He said that we were hoping to sign a player who we'd been looking at since before he joined the club.
    Where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Where did he say that?
    I think it was in the press conference on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I think it was in the press conference on Friday.
    I'm a bit bored of his press conferences already so can't say I was paying full attention.

I thought he had said that he was discussing some targets with the scouting guys but didnt notice him allude to specifically signing a player we were already looking at. Certainly didnt mention it post-match (that conference was a lot shorter!!).

I'd be shocked if he has not brought Williams to the table.

I can understand why some people are being a bit sceptical, but I've seen enough of Williams in a Wales shirt to suggest he could offer us something that we need at the moment, a bit more energy and invention in midfield.
    no he's not going to turn into a premier League creative midfielder, but for the money such a thing is very hard to find.

Williams was hauled off at half-time during his last appearance for Charlton against Swindon (23/01/21) with his side 2-0 behind. He was an unused sub in their latest game last Tuesday.

From a Charlton fan's blog report of the Swindon game:

"Our now weekly procession of early second-half substitutions started with Andrew Shinnie coming on for Jonny Williams. I love Jonny but he looks to me like he's been struggling this season with the pace of games. He can't do more than hour anyway and looks an older player than his 27 years. You could be forgiven for thinking he is a veteran of over 300 games, but in reality he has only made around 170-odd first-team appearances (60 for us) in his whole career."

Sounds perfect for a progressive, forward-thinking club like Cardiff.

Mick McCarthy and Jonny Williams, would have been content with this about 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Mick McCarthy and Jonny Williams, would have been content with this about 7 years ago.
    Clubs a ****ing joke

Looks like he's on his way from that link.

New player hopefully match fit, fresh face in the MF desperately needed albeit not the ideal profile, one who will be keen to impress.

I expect our fortunes to improve, short term at least and we will hopefully all get behind JW and wish him well.

If I was the parent of a promising u18/u23 player on the verge of breaking into the first team though, I'd be thinking a bit differently.

The fee and likely wage are more in keeping with the type of transfers we are likely to be making, but the player’s injury record plus lack of goals / assists for a creative player means he’ll be a squad player at best. I don’t see him as a regular starter in a team aiming for promotion at this level, whilst his performances at international level are no more significant than those of Gavin Whyte for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Looks like he's on his way from that link.

New player hopefully match fit, fresh face in the MF desperately needed albeit not the ideal profile, one who will be keen to impress.

I expect our fortunes to improve, short term at least and we will hopefully all get behind JW and wish him well.

If I was the parent of a promising u18/u23 player on the verge of breaking into the first team though, I'd be thinking a bit differently.
    To be fair, if the club are signing someone you'd rather they were injury prone like Jonny is

And he's a Wales international and all round nice guy who's dealt with setbacks and injury problems so would probably be good for some advice

Apart from the injuries it is his consistency I would be a little concerned about. For every good performance in a Wales shirt, like in Bordeaux and Bulgaria away, there have been two or three average ones. Certainly never has a signature tune been less warranted as he surrenders the ball quite cheaply at times. To his credit he does work hard to both close the opposition and track back, which is not always the case for our more creative players.

I can't see him being played week in week out as a starter but could change things up off the bench or as a more expansive option if form improves.

Mick OUT

can we at least all agree to call him Jonny Williams, not Joniesta - I find that extremely cringe worthy