+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Re: Joniesta

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We signed Moore from Wigan after he had a good season for them and had scored a decent amount of goals in the Championship. Wigan only got relegated because they went into administration and had a huge points deduction. They were mid-table before the points deduction came into play after the final whistle of their last game of the season.

Also, if you think Williams would only be here until the end of the season then why are we allegedly spending £200k on him? That would be even worse business than I already think it is.
    We desperately need someone in midfield. It's not as if we've got much time to find someone.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So what Wilson has started in front of him too. Starting in front of someone 3 times in 2 years is hardly massive kudos at international level when we are talking about club level and a 46 game season.

To use your logic theres average league one players starting in front of him regularly for Charlton. Then it should beg the question why? If starting a game is so important to you Jonny Williams is the wrong man to be using, hes appeared in more professional games off the bench than the start.

250k is somone on 10k a week on a 6 month loan. Might be peanuts to you but when the club are saying weve got to get rid of people off the wagebill before we can add to the squad why are we wasting a wage on a crock who has never done anything in this division?
    The point is that Wales managers have picked him in front players with big reputations who have commanded and would command far bigger fees than £250k - straight away that makes him someone worth considering.

Your definition of the term crock is different to mine.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We desperately need someone in midfield. It's not as if we've got much time to find someone.
    The point is that he's not better than what we have already in midfield and I don't rate our midfield at all.

Ralls, Vaulks, Pack and Bacuna would likely walk into any team in League One yet Williams isn't starting for Charlton.

Saying we need someone in midfield might as well say we need to sign "anyone" in midfield. Let's just sign Darren Pratley, I think he's getting more games than Williams at Charlton.

Some of the arguments on here today are honestly baffling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Personally I don't think he's the worst player in the world, I just a) don't think that's a priority and b) can't see how we can rely on him when his injury record is awful
    No hes not the worst. Hes League 1 standard and a poor injury record.

Pointless signing and if he was with us and we were looking to improve wed be looking to get rid.

Id rather just stick with what we got than add him to the not good enough list.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Once (in the first round of the FA Cup).

Tomlin played 90 minutes for us 12 times in the Championship last season.
    Doesn’t alter the point that there are plenty of players for whom playing ninety minutes is a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Personally I don't think he's the worst player in the world, I just a) don't think that's a priority and b) can't see how we can rely on him when his injury record is awful
    Hes not a crock apparently. I mean, the guy is 28 this year and hes never started 20 games in a single season. Relying on Williams would be like relying on Tomlin. At least Tomlin has done the business at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    NML came from League 1. So did Moore. He's here to do a job until the end of the season - Just like McCarthy.
    I did say League 1 quality.

The key with lower league players is identifying those that are better than that level.

Williams is a league 1 quality player.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Doesn’t alter the point that there are plenty of players for whom playing ninety minutes is a rarity.
    If that is the argument: if they can't last 90mins then they surely must have the required quality to influence a game when they do play?

Williams has never shown that in League football.

I mentioned Wilshere earlier. I can see why Bournemouth took a punt on him as he's shown that he can perform in the Premier League despite his injury problems. Williams hasn't even looked a good quality Championship player when he's played in the division.

There's too many reasons not to sign him imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The point is that he's not better than what we have already in midfield and I don't rate our midfield at all.

Ralls, Vaulks, Pack and Bacuna would likely walk into any team in League One yet Williams isn't starting for Charlton.

Saying we need someone in midfield might as well say we need to sign "anyone" in midfield. Let's just sign Darren Pratley, I think he's getting more games than Williams at Charlton.

Some of the arguments on here today are honestly baffling to me.
    And some of the closed minds in this thread aren’t baffling me at all. The attitude already remarked upon about anybody who is more willing to consider the prospect of signing Williams only doing so because he is Welsh is a bit childish isn’t it? I set out at some length what I thought was a logical argument as to why in this particular case for this particular player the fact that he is Welsh is relevant- so far, it’s been completely ignored.

**** me this forum

Let's have Johnny Williams playing as a 10 in front of Harry Arter and Joe Ledley, some of you guys have to be Swansea fans on a wind up

God knows where Williams got his nickname from, I think Will Vaulks has more contributions than Williams and he's only played 3 seasons at this level! As for him being Welsh, he may represent us internationally but the guy was born in Kent, let's not trip over ourselves for some injury prone league 1 player cause he has a few caps for Wales

Heisenberg

And some of the closed minds in this thread aren’t baffling me at all. The attitude already remarked upon about anybody who is more willing to consider the prospect of signing Williams only doing so because he is Welsh is a bit childish isn’t it? I set out at some length what I thought was a logical argument as to why in this particular case for this particular player the fact that he is Welsh is relevant- so far, it’s been completely ignored.
    ... But some people have claimed that they want him to sign because he's Welsh and another poster has said that he's defending the signing a lot more than he would have if Williams wasn't Welsh. You can look back for yourself should you wish.

The other reasons that have been given include his age, his position on the pitch and the fact that he's affordable. Those reasons are completely baffling.

Your argument that he's been picked over other players for Wales on a few occasions doesn't seem like much of an argument to me to either.

How many competitive games did he start for Wales last year? 1. When we were missing Ramsey, Lawrence and Brooks (Ben Woodburn was even in the squad for that one btw)

How many times did he come on as a sub? 0

So, even though it's not quite as baffling as some other reasons given,
    it's stilll not a strong argument to be made either imo.

If it was a loan until the end of the season then not a terrible idea.

I think if I was Tan I'd be asking MM to get the most from Wilson and then Tomlin hopefully back in a few weeks.

With a new manager expected in the summer I don't really like the idea of injury prone players coming in and I do see him as a bit of a niche kind it player for a new manager.

Not totally against it but probably rather we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    **** me this forum

Let's have Johnny Williams playing as a 10 in front of Harry Arter and Joe Ledley, some of you guys have to be Swansea fans on a wind up

God knows where Williams got his nickname from, I think Will Vaulks has more contributions than Williams and he's only played 3 seasons at this level! As for him being Welsh, he may represent us internationally but the guy was born in Kent, let's not trip over ourselves for some injury prone league 1 player cause he has a few caps for Wales
    I remember when we signed Will Vaulks, there were a fair few who were spinning cartwheels over the signing. I didn't have a clue as i'd never seen him play. Whenever we pick up a bit of an unknown player there's an expert or two on here who must've watched the respective player at least six times, not only that, but must have obviously studied said player. When Arter signed people were bigging up his ability to play and his obvious football brain, again, i didn't have a clue. I does make me reach the conclusion that some people on here are completely full of shit.

The more I find out about this man, this story MUST be bollocks.
    If it happened, on the back of dropping Harry Wilson and repeated Flint selection. I'd be worried about MMs state of mind.

I really hope this transfer doesn't happen, this guy doesn't offer too much in my opinion.

Also I hope we don't get into this syndrome of signing players because they're Welsh; that would be a disastrous move. We need players here solely on merit and affordability. In which case I'd be much happier if we sought better bargains from the foreign market.

I know we're in the minority here TOBW but I'm not completely against this deal either.

I think hes got something about him and appears to have avoided any significant injuries last few seasons; which would be my major concern.

Yes he's not setting the world alight at Charlton but his wages should be relatively low due to the League One wage-cap. The idea that he would be coming into a team of better players ( ) would hopefully help him be at his best.

I don't have a huge amount to base around why I think he's worth a punt at what I understand is pretty much a free transfer; aside from what I've seen him do at international level. Does that mean I just want us to sign him because he's welsh? No. He's just someone I'm familar with.

I'm all for signing younger players and glad to see we're trying to restructure that side of our recruitment but thats never going to just change overnight. The signings of Watters and NG make me believe that our intentions are changing.

Sounds like it will happen anyway. 18 months with a years option on our behalf would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    I know we're in the minority here TOBW but I'm not completely against this deal either.

I think hes got something about him and appears to have avoided any significant injuries last few seasons; which would be my major concern.

Yes he's not setting the world alight at Charlton but his wages should be relatively low due to the League One wage-cap. The idea that he would be coming into a team of better players ( ) would hopefully help him be at his best.

I don't have a huge amount to base around why I think he's worth a punt at what I understand is pretty much a free transfer; aside from what I've seen him do at international level. Does that mean I just want us to sign him because he's welsh? No. He's just someone I'm familar with.

I'm all for signing younger players and glad to see we're trying to restructure that side of our recruitment but thats never going to just change overnight. The signings of Watters and NG make me believe that our intentions are changing.

Sounds like it will happen anyway. 18 months with a years option on our behalf would be my guess.
    Yes, to be fair, I should have had a look at Williams’ figures before getting so involved in this thread, but, having now done so, I was surprised to see that he’d made forty four appearances for Charlton in the last season and a half. So, that’s a figure that confirms he hasn’t been an automatic selection in a team that has been below us for most of that time, but hardly qualifies them as a “crock” - he’s also featured eight times for Wales in the last two years.

I can understand people having reservations about this possible signing and share them to a large degree when it comes to his injury record, but the degree to which people are against it surprises me - hostility is too strong a word to use, but I can’t remember this sort of reaction when we were signing Isaac Vassell for what could have been twelve times the fee that is being reported for Williams ( I note you saying it will be a lot less than that).

Do you think we would have any interest in signing him if he didn't play for Wales?

I'm not in favour of him signing either. But...McCarthy know him, and he is good running with the ball and creating things. He could play off the bench or in the middle with two from Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks or Pack. We do need an extra body or two at the moment.

Having said that he is always injured and inconsistent when he plays, so he should fit in here fine! But surely there must be a promising 22/23 year old somewhere we could pick up for the same money. We'll be signing Adam Matthews, Tom Lockyer or Deji Oshilaja next.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I'm not in favour of him signing either. But...McCarthy know him, and he is good running with the ball and creating things. He could play off the bench or in the middle with two from Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks or Pack. We do need an extra body or two at the moment.

Having said that he is always injured and inconsistent when he plays, so he should fit in here fine! But surely there must be a promising 22/23 year old somewhere we could pick up for the same money. We'll be signing Adam Matthews, Tom Lockyer or Deji Oshilaja next.
    I'm not sure McCarthy has much to do with this. He said that we were hoping to sign a player who we'd been looking at since before he joined the club.

Do you think we would have any interest in signing him if he didn't play for Wales?
    I think McCarthy would; so yes.

Yes, to be fair, I should have had a look at Williams’ figures before getting so involved in this thread, but, having now done so, I was surprised to see that he’d made forty four appearances for Charlton in the last season and a half. So, that’s a figure that confirms he hasn’t been an automatic selection in a team that has been below us for most of that time, but hardly qualifies them as a “crock” - he’s also featured eight times for Wales in the last two years.

I can understand people having reservations about this possible signing and share them to a large degree when it comes to his injury record, but the degree to which people are against it surprises me - hostility is too strong a word to use, but I can’t remember this sort of reaction when we were signing Isaac Vassell for what could have been twelve times the fee that is being reported for Williams ( I note you saying it will be a lot less than that).
    I think it would be a crazy signing myself but I've seen plenty of those in recent years. I'd wish him luck and hope it comes off for us if it happens. Just surprised by your stance here. It took me about two minutes to find this quote, I'm sure I could find plenty more if I wanted.

It's too easy and a bit simplistic to put the lack of youngsters breaking into our first team squad down solely to the fact they aren't good enough. In my opinion, it's far, far harder for a teenager to break into their club's first team at this level these days, because the default action of managers when they are on the lookout to plug a hole in their first team squad is to spend money on a ready made replacement rather than look at what they have already got.
    With Sang, Evans, Waite and Colwill as young attacking midfielders here I'd have thought you'd be mortified to find the club blocking their pathway to the first team before the new manager has even seen them play an under 23 game.

I'm not sure McCarthy has much to do with this. He said that we were hoping to sign a player who we'd been looking at since before he joined the club.
    Where did he say that?

Where did he say that?
    I think it was in the press conference on Friday.

I think it was in the press conference on Friday.
    I'm a bit bored of his press conferences already so can't say I was paying full attention.

I thought he had said that he was discussing some targets with the scouting guys but didnt notice him allude to specifically signing a player we were already looking at. Certainly didnt mention it post-match (that conference was a lot shorter!!).

I'd be shocked if he has not brought Williams to the table.