+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exile in Kingston Upon Thames?

Exile in Kingston Upon Thames?

Whilst out walking this morning along the river Thames coming into Kingston Upon Thames, a young chap ran past me wearing the luminescent green away shirt that the team wore a few seasons back.

My knee jerk reaction was to shout ‘Bluebirds!’ which I think that he heard (he had headphones on) as he acknowledged me as he ran past. Anyway it made my day.

What is the strangest place that you have seen someone wearing a Cardiff City shirt?

Re: Exile in Kingston Upon Thames?

was that Jurrsey ( wurzel guy ) from Kingston Upon Thames ? ? ?

maybe has has seen the light

On a pub wall in Newcastle Emlyn

There was also a chippy there and the bloke serving had a ccfc pin badge on

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Whilst out walking this morning along the river Thames coming into Kingston Upon Thames, a young chap ran past me wearing the luminescent green away shirt that the team wore a few seasons back.

My knee jerk reaction was to shout ‘Bluebirds!’ which I think that he heard (he had headphones on) as he acknowledged me as he ran past. Anyway it made my day.

What is the strangest place that you have seen someone wearing a Cardiff City shirt?
    Not particularly strange, but the furthest away I have seen a City shirt was in Kerala about 12 years ago. A young family with two boys aged about 6 - 8, both wearing Cardiff kit in a cafe near the beach.

We completed the full ceremony of 'Blooooobirds!' and the ayatollah - to the total bemusement of the other customers and staff!

On the BBC news. A report from Rwanda i think, loads of kids around the Camera and one wearing one of our Ken Thorne shirts. In fairness, people donate old footy shirts to charity and plenty end up in poorer communities around the world. Whenever there's a report or story based in sierra leone, my ears prick up and my eyes are peeled in anticipation of some shirt spotting. I rarely have the first idea what the story is about, as long as i spot a rochdale shirt, i'm happy

Rio de Janeiro airport, two City fans wearing shirts, I did the Ayotollah, they smiled but carried on. When I got outside the airport I spoke to them, they informed me that Warnock had left.

I saw an Australian with the South Wales Echo shirt we wore in Eddie Mays promotion season watching Australia v Denmark (think it was Denmark) in Sydney.

Not a shirt but I was at the SCG watching the Ashes and had put up a large Welsh flag with Cardiff City on it

A youngish lad came up to me with what sounded like a London accent insisting he was a Cardiff fan. Said he was from Watford. I didnt believe him so he showed me his Cardiff City tattoo. Ive never seen him since though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Deep, deep under the North Yorkshire Moors in the top secret early warning radar station RAF Fylingdales on the 5th of June 1975, which of course as you all know was the date of the last EU Referendum vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I saw an Australian with the South Wales Echo shirt we wore in Eddie Mays promotion season watching Australia v Denmark (think it was Denmark) in Sydney.

Not a shirt but I was at the SCG watching the Ashes and had put up a large Welsh flag with Cardiff City on it

A youngish lad came up to me with what sounded like a London accent insisting he was a Cardiff fan. Said he was from Watford. I didnt believe him so he showed me his Cardiff City tattoo. Ive never seen him since though.
    We saw someone wearing a Cardiff City track suit (a black one, when we were playing in red) at the Sausalito end of the Golden Gate Bridge. 😮

Walking along Strada Theodor Aman in Bucharest on my way to work in 2009.
    My "Ayatollah" and chant of "Bluebirds" drew a very bemused expression!

I was walking around the backstreets of a small inland town in Portugal with my brother and an old Portuguese bloke was coming towards us on his moped and wearing an S.A.Brain's t-shirt. We flagged him down, had a photo taken with him and let him go on his way. I don't speak Portuguese and he didn't speak English so I'm not sure if he knew what it was all about.

Strangest and weirdest place, was inside the SAN SIRO Stadium, at an Italy v Wales match.

WTF is that about!!

Quite a lot around the student area of Nottingham

Once in Tunisia

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I was walking around the backstreets of a small inland town in Portugal with my brother and an old Portuguese bloke was coming towards us on his moped and wearing an S.A.Brain's t-shirt. We flagged him down, had a photo taken with him and let him go on his way. I don't speak Portuguese and he didn't speak English so I'm not sure if he knew what it was all about.
    😂

The 1927 Club (now defunct for CCFC fans but still dedicated to the Wales football team as much or more than ever- there was a big split between the 2 groups when Tan changed to red) and London Bluebirds both have members living all over the UK.

They meet up to watch, largely, AWAY games and travel together from a central meeting place, usually a London rail station or occasionally take it in turns to drive. Most members live in London and all over the South East. These guys are generally older and make their own social arrangements before, during and after games to avoid any trouble with our or rival fans. So London Bluebirds follow Wales and the City; the 1927 Club now follow Wales in the main.

You can all google both if wanting to read up about them.

Our away days are always great fun, whatever the score.

2 of my girls went to University in Guelph, Ontario. One evening I randomly suggested we go to a pub nearby for a meal and some beers. The entire pub was decorated in Cardiff City shirts and memorabilia. We were all gobsmacked.

Taxi driver wearing the vansdirect blue shirt from 2009 I think, getting into his car in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Didn’t get a chance to speak to him though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    was that Jurrsey ( wurzel guy ) from Kingston Upon Thames ? ? ?

maybe has has seen the light
    Jurssett was from Henley-on-Thames I believe.

I’ve seen a few City fans at different times in London. Saw a bloke in a Cardiff Blues shirt in New Orleans.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I was in the Con Dao islands in Con Son about 80 kms off the Vung Tau / Mekong river coast.

The place is infamous for imprisonment of political prisoners first with the French and then the Americans

We were looking for breakfast and saw a dive school on the corner in the town (takes three minutes to drive through on a motorbike) and sat outside deciding what to eat.

A young guy walks past wearing an old city shirt with the yellow and white stripe down the side and I called over to him. Turns out he’s from caerau, Ely and runs the dive school with his his dad.

To find such treasure In such a remote place is truly remarkable.

The breakfast was good but my wife didn’t like the snake that tried to enjoy it with us.

In a taxi travelling from the airport to Darling Harbour in Sydney

Stopped at traffic lights in city centre looked out of window saw a bloke with a City shirt on sitting outside having a coffee in a cafe

Wound down the window and did the ayatollah he immediately jumped up and did it back with about 50 people looking at him as if he was mad

Then had to explain to our Indian taxi driver what the ayatollah was. He obviously had no idea what I was talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    In a taxi travelling from the airport to Darling Harbour in Sydney

Stopped at traffic lights in city centre looked out of window saw a bloke with a City shirt on sitting outside having a coffee in a cafe

Wound down the window and did the ayatollah he immediately jumped up and did it back with about 50 people looking at him as if he was mad

Then had to explain to our Indian taxi driver what the ayatollah was. He obviously had no idea what I was talking about
    I love these sorts of stories 👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Jurssett was from Henley-on-Thames I believe.

I’ve seen a few City fans at different times in London. Saw a bloke in a Cardiff Blues shirt in New Orleans.
    sounds right, i knew it was something on Thames

I saw a young bloke wearing a Cardiff City shirt in Pollenca (Mallorca) Sunday market.
    It was August 2019, so would’ve been the previous season’s shirt. He must have been boiling!

I saw a chap in Canton a year ago wearing a red one whilst holding a can of white lighting, I motioned to him to do the ayatollah ,he duly did , and ended up soaking wet and not so pissed, every moment has a silver lining.

Years ago, going back to the late 90's, a mate of mine who was in the merchant navy, said there was a large rock as you enter Singapore harbour with the words 'Cardiff City' painted on it.

I live in what is considered a third-tier city in China. One day, I was travelling across a bridge on my e-bike when I saw an older local man wearing a Welsh rugby shirt, the one with the Brains logo emblazoned across it.

Okay, no stories relating to City shirts from me...