+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exile in Kingston Upon Thames?

Re: Exile in Kingston Upon Thames?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Years ago, going back to the late 90's, a mate of mine who was in the merchant navy, said there was a large rock as you enter Singapore harbour with the words 'Cardiff City' painted on it.

I live in what is considered a third-tier city in China. One day, I was travelling across a bridge on my e-bike when I saw an older local man wearing a Welsh rugby shirt, the one with the Brains logo emblazoned across it.

Okay, no stories relating to City shirts from me...
    The first one is perfectly acceptable. The second one though.... ;-)

Not the strangest of places, but I was out for a morning run along the prom in Playa de Americas 2 years ago wearing my City away shirt, when a fellow bluebird passed me in the home shirt running the other way. We both seemed to knackered to acknowledge each other with anything other than a thumbs up.

I saw a couple of men wearing the old red shirts while on holiday in the Gambia. Also a pub in Xiamen, China, with a big Welsh dragon on the wall plus a City shirt years ago. Later found out that Cardiff is/was twinned towned with Xiamen.

Whilst on holiday in Crete 3 years ago I spotted a guy about 50yards away wearing a pair of swimming trunks with a Bluebird logo on.
    So I approached him doing the ayatollah and he responded same .
    Then I thought I should ask him where he was from and expecting a Welsh accent I was amazed to here a foreign accent .
    We started chatting and he said he was from Holland and was a Utrecht fan and he also followed Cardiff City , he also had a Cardiff City tattoo on his arm.
    We had a few beers together and he said he was returning to Holland the next day and next time he was in Cardiff we should meet up to go to a City game.
    I agreed and we exchanged numbers but when I got back home I could not contact him as I lost my phone on holiday (Pissed up)
    He said his mate lived in Cardiff I cant remember if it was Llandaff or Llanishen and worked for the BBC.
    It was mad to hear a different accent than Welsh/British from a Cardiff fan .

Sort of City related. I was walking along a beach in Florida about 5 years ago when a chap was heading towards me with his wife, and he was wearing a Swansea shirt! So I smiled as he passed, as part of the great brotherhood of football fans, and uttered to him "You Jack B*****d". He look puzzled. My wife tutted.

I also was buying a new Mini for my wife in 2008 from Hadfield Road and chatting to the salesman , he told me loved football. Yes, Swansea. I refused to buy he car from him and my wife had to go back the following day and buy it from someone else.

It may sound childish but we have to have standards!

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Sort of City related. I was walking along a beach in Florida about 5 years ago when a chap was heading towards me with his wife, and he was wearing a Swansea shirt! So I smiled as he passed, as part of the great brotherhood of football fans, and uttered to him "You Jack B*****d". He look puzzled. My wife tutted.

I also was buying a new Mini for my wife in 2008 from Hadfield Road and chatting to the salesman , he told me loved football. Yes, Swansea. I refused to buy he car from him and my wife had to go back the following day and buy it from someone else.

It may sound childish but we have to have standards!
    A mate of mine had a similar experience. He and his wife moved to South Africa a number of years ago. Not long after they were there they took a holiday staying in a remote part of the Kruger National Park.

They came down to one of the small posts there to get some provisions. In one of the shops he saw a number of smartly dressed lads in blazers talking with Welsh accents. He chatted with them and found they were a representative Under 18 cricket team from South East Wales who had recently arrived in South Africa. Being away access to media he enquired about the recent football scores.

On asking "how did the Swans get on?" he found himself surrounded by a half dozen teenagers chanting "You Jack Bastard" at him!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    A mate of mine had a similar experience. He and his wife moved to South Africa a number of years ago. Not long after they were there they took a holiday staying in a remote part of the Kruger National Park.

They came down to one of the small posts there to get some provisions. In one of the shops he saw a number of smartly dressed lads in blazers talking with Welsh accents. He chatted with them and found they were a representative Under 18 cricket team from South East Wales who had recently arrived in South Africa. Being away access to media he enquired about the recent football scores.

On asking "how did the Swans get on?" he found himself surrounded by a half dozen teenagers chanting "You Jack Bastard" at him!
    Strangely re-assuring.......

Swansea fans sing u Jack bastard at each other. Its one of their chants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Which says it all really.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    The 1927 Club (now defunct for CCFC fans but still dedicated to the Wales football team as much or more than ever- there was a big split between the 2 groups when Tan changed to red) and London Bluebirds both have members living all over the UK.

They meet up to watch, largely, AWAY games and travel together from a central meeting place, usually a London rail station or occasionally take it in turns to drive. Most members live in London and all over the South East. These guys are generally older and make their own social arrangements before, during and after games to avoid any trouble with our or rival fans. So London Bluebirds follow Wales and the City; the 1927 Club now follow Wales in the main.

You can all google both if wanting to read up about them.

Our away days are always great fun, whatever the score.
    do you actually live in Stanmore are were you from there originally?
    Asking for a friend

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    They do say it takes one to know one!!