+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nicky Maynard

Nicky Maynard

Joined Newport, what an unlucky time he had with us, as have many strikers.

Re: Nicky Maynard

Phew! Was half expecting to click on the thread and see that club has given him a deal until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Phew! Was half expecting to click on the thread and see that club has given him a deal until the end of the season.
    😂😂😂

Easily the most disturbing thing I've ever heard in a football ground was his scream of pain as he keeled over at Millwall.

I think he was a good player, just unlucky with that horrible injury. I was pretty excited when we signed him. The club is guilty of buying some terrible strikers over the years but I still don't think that Maynard is one of them.

like many of these fringe "good" strikers... they seem to care more about there cars and private plates more than putting the ball in the back of the net

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    like many of these fringe "good" strikers... they seem to care more about there cars and private plates more than putting the ball in the back of the net
    How does that apply to Maynard?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I think he was a good player, just unlucky with that horrible injury. I was pretty excited when we signed him. The club is guilty of buying some terrible strikers over the years but I still don't think that Maynard is one of them.
    I was excited about his signing. He would have fit the team well. Two footed and pacey.

Didn't he do the other knee with us, having done one already at brizzle?

Things are such a mess at the club, a deal until the end of the season wouldn't even bother me. Assuming we don't tumble down the table, I'm only concerned about what happens from June onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    How does that apply to Maynard?
    Quite. Poor man just had a horrible injury. Who knows if he'd have gone on to be a success, but he was certainly a good player before he got here and at that time it looked like he'd have added to the team. Seems like bluemoon is making a baseless, lazy assumption. I don't pretend to have followed his career but I cannot remember anything that would suggest he's anything other than a good professional.

EDIT: 60 seconds on Wiki shows the following quotes from after his injury:

Manager Uwe Rösler enthused that "he was excellent, not only his goals, but his all-round play... he looks sharp, motivated and knowledgeable about the game".

Upon re-signing, Maynard said "I'm pleased to be back. I enjoyed my time here last season and I got to know the players and staff well. I wanted to be somewhere where I felt wanted and having spoken to the gaffer quite a bit over the summer, he let me know how much he wanted me here."[

It was frustrating for me. I signed for Aberdeen with the intentions of playing a lot of football with a manager who I was with at Bristol City. He sold it to me to come up to Scotland and it was a big decision to leave my family because my kids are at school.

"But I just thought if I go up there and play as many games as the manager said I would, I have every belief I would have scored goals and done well enough to either earn a better contract at Aberdeen or a better contract elsewhere.

"But that wasn't the case and it made it hard for me this pre-season because I didn't play many games for Aberdeen."

Bluemoon - what are you talking about please?

I don't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I don't get it?
    Thats no surprise. You're not the sharpest tool in the box.

Thats no surprise. You're not the sharpest tool in the box.
    Or maybe it just doesn't make sense considering our signings and you feel as daft as you sound.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Things are such a mess at the club, a deal until the end of the season wouldn't even bother me. Assuming we don't tumble down the table, I'm only concerned about what happens from June onwards.
    Me too but what I fear is that because no one at senior level has any football experience, the easy way out is hope that Mick takes us up to 14th place and then offer him a 2 year deal.
    I don't think they fully understand the first steps in recruiting a new manager.

International

All I can recall bout him is that I think every he started he gut substituted (Or almost every game) He didn't seem to be able to last 90 minutes.
    I think it is just wishful thinking to say he would have been good. He'may' have been but on his performances before his injury the wish has no basis in what he actually did.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    All I can recall bout him is that I think every he started he gut substituted (Or almost every game) He didn't seem to be able to last 90 minutes.
    I think it is just wishful thinking to say he would have been good. He'may' have been but on his performances before his injury the wish has no basis in what he actually did.
    He got the injury in this 3rd game for us. He assisted a goal in each of the previous 2.

You may wish you rethink your post.

International

He got the injury in this 3rd game for us. He assisted a goal in each of the previous 2.

You may wish you rethink your post.
    Why should I?
    He was subbed each game he played and despite his assists what did he do?
    How many games did he actually play in? how many goals did he score? He waas brought in as a striker after all.
    How bad did the team get when he was injured? I seem to recall we got promoted that season.... without him. He was brought on to score a penalty at Hull when the job was done.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/footb...rances_a31497/

Maybe you should stop critisising other peoples posts and take a look at your own.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why should I?
    He was subbed each game he played and despite his assists what did he do?
    How many games did he actually play in? how many goals did he score? He waas brought in as a striker after all.
    How bad did the team get when he was injured? I seem to recall we got promoted that season.... without him. He was brought on to score a penalty at Hull when the job was done.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/footb...rances_a31497/

Maybe you should stop critisising other peoples posts and take a look at your own.
    Someone doesn't like being wrong.

You said "I think it is just wishful thinking to say he would have been good. He'may' have been but on his performances before his injury the wish has no basis in what he actually did."

Forgive me for thinking you were talking about his performances before his injury... So I pointed out that he got injured in only his 3rd game for us and had assisted in two of the previous ones - Indicating that you may wish to rethink your point as he actually played well before his (essentially) season ending injury (yes, he played in the last game of the season).

We were winning in both of the games that he was playing in before he was subbed... you tend not to need to leave a striker on for 90mins when you're winning. I think we know why he was subbed in his 3rd game.

What did he do in those 3 games, you ask? He played well and set up two goals. Maynard and Noone made their debuts against Wolves and they were both brilliant in a 3-1 win.

No need to be so serious. You were just chatting shit, that's all. Take it on the chin and carry on with your day.

International

Someone doesn't like being wrong.

You said "I think it is just wishful thinking to say he would have been good. He'may' have been but on his performances before his injury the wish has no basis in what he actually did."

Forgive me for thinking you were talking about his performances before his injury... So I pointed out that he got injured in only his 3rd game for us and had assisted in two of the previous ones - Indicating that you may wish to rethink your point as he actually played well before his (essentially) season ending injury (yes, he played in the last game of the season).

We were winning in both of the games that he was playing in before he was subbed... you tend not to need to leave a striker on for 90mins when you're winning. I think we know why he was subbed in his 3rd game.

What did he do in those 3 games, you ask? He played well and set up two goals. Maynard and Noone made their debuts against Wolves and they were both brilliant in a 3-1 win.

No need to be so serious. You were just chatting shit, that's all. Take it on the chin and carry on with your day.
    He stuill underperformed, and failed in what he was brought in to do, score goals.. But seeing the list in the other thread he would be in a big piss-up if those strikers had a reuniuon.