+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

I guess in defence of some there should be a caveat that not all were either given much of a chance or the service that they required to score goals.

Here are a few that are still playing.
    Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Vassell

Re: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I guess in defence of some there should be a caveat that not all were either given much of a chance or the service that they required to score goals.

Here are a few starters that are still playing.
    Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Ronnie Moore
    Didn't we sign a Saville once ?
    Some fat little f ucker from Arsenal

Re: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ronnie Moore
    Didn't we sign a Saville once ?
    Some fat little f ucker from Arsenal
    My recollections of Ronnie Moore was that game after game !we played with 10 players in our half, he in the opposing half stood just in front of the opposing penalty area facing our goal and trying to win one of the many high balls punted forward towards him. Maybe it was a nightmare

Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Vassell
    To be fair the club is a strikers graveyard.
    We have failed to play creative football ever since I can remember

Ward, Doyle.
    Looking at Zahore since leaving, we probably got the best out of him and for once actually got a few quid.

Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Vassell
    I think a little harsh on Mason and Zohore as they did get vital goals and were sold with good profits despite not being very good.

But yeah most strikers have struggled since DJ left and it's hard to look past our style of play since.

Scandinavian bloke. Sure we spent more than a few bob on him.

Eddie

The half dozen Russel Slade signed (please don't ask me to remember them all)

Le Fondre
    Kenwyne Jones
    Odemwingie
    Niasse
    Revell
    Saadi
    Velikonja

Don't ask me why but just gone through a list on Transfermarkt! It's impressive how many strikers have failed (and I think I was being quite generous in my definition of success in some places!)
    Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh

Le Fondre was just a disaster.
    Kenwyne did alright. The Italian lad from Man Utd, Macheda, had high hopes for him aswell which went south.
    Rickie Lambert - that was comedy value.

Jeez we have been awful when you look at it over the past 10 years on strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    Don't ask me why but just gone through a list on Transfermarkt! It's impressive how many strikers have failed (and I think I was being quite generous in my definition of success in some places!)
    Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh
    Wow.

We are doing it wrong, need to do away with strikers completely.

Maybe we will go all Barca 2008 and play Johnny at false 9

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Le Fondre was just a disaster.
    Kenwyne did alright. The Italian lad from Man Utd, Macheda, had high hopes for him aswell which went south.
    Rickie Lambert - that was comedy value.

Jeez we have been awful when you look at it over the past 10 years on strikers.
    I was really disappointed that we went for Macheda. He was a total flash in the pan, and he didn't even seem that good a player at Man Utd other than his big initial impact with the goals.

Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh
    Miller, Thompson, Jones & Watt did well I thought. Healy not exactly a disappointment either. Reid is a good player and Maynard was unlucky with that injury. The rest are garbage.

Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Vassell
    Mason and Zahore well harsh. Both bought cheap sold for profit.

Cornelius needs to be added.

Eddie Johnson completely useless.

As soon a Russell Slade came in didn't he try to accommodate Le Fondre on the right with Kenwynne through the middle. Not great for the guys confidence and no surprise it went downhill for him here.

Robbie Fowler

Going down memory lane here's a few from the 60s and 70s

Robin Friday
    Tommy Halliday
    Frank Sharp
    Alan Foggon
    Jack Whitham
    Keith Robson
    Norman Dean (other than the ECWC)

Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh
    I'm not sure I'd call some of those strikers (e.g. Reid, Ward and JET) and you'll be hearing soon from Loramski about Velikonja, but your list certainly makes the point (Steve McLean and Meite are a couple I'd add) and you're only really talking about the last fifteen years.

On a different, but related, point, even when we were producing good first team players through the Academy, I never saw much sign of a potential first team striker (people will mention Jerome, but he was only at our Academy for a very short time) and there was no one through the 2010s until Isaak Davies and Dan Griffiths right at the end of the decade (Mark Harris was more of a winger when I was watching him play youth football) - Davies has at least now got one unused substitute appearance to his name, but I've not a clue what has happened to Griffiths this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    To be fair the club is a strikers graveyard.
    We have failed to play creative football ever since I can remember
    Only since Jones left. Ken Wynne Jones scored a few didn't he? And Helgusson? Patterson is possibly the most prolific we've had since Bothroyd, in that promotion season.

Otherwise it is largely a shower of shite: Odemwingie; Revell; ALF; Macheda; Guonongbe; Lambert; Niasse can all be added to the list. A few did OK: Ward looks like he knows that scoring goals is fun, and Ried is probably a decent player.

Glatzel
    Zahore
    Maynard
    Bogle
    Mason
    Healy
    Madine
    Vassell
    Derek Showers
    Cameron Toshack

Successful strikers would be easier to list.

Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Wow.

We are doing it wrong, need to do away with strikers completely.

Maybe we will go all Barca 2008 and play Johnny at false 9
    for false 9s, see above

Here's one for the oldies - a club record signing - Godfrey Ingram which was possibly the strangest signing of all time.