+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

Re: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Successful strikers would be easier to list.
    I'm sure that the Thommohawk said when he joined "I'm not a centre-forward that scores goals". Got that out of the way then.
    Of course, he then went on to score two in his first match. I'm going to look up now how many he actually scored for us.

Re: Please list all the strikers that we have had who failed to make a great impact.

steven thomson - 16 league goals out of 97 matches. so he scores 12.5% of his goals in ~1% of his matches. blowing warm and east wind cold.

In before Vinnie:----

Tom Heaton
    David Marshall
    Neil Etheridge

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Here's one for the oldies - a club record signing - Godfrey Ingram which was possibly the strangest signing of all time.
    I was at NP first time he "graced" the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Mason and Zahore well harsh. Both bought cheap sold for profit.

Cornelius needs to be added.

Eddie Johnson completely useless.
    Probably made money on Gestede

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Steve McLean and Meite are a couple I'd add
    Was Redan(?) supposed to be a striker?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    I was at NP first time he "graced" the pitch
    So was I. He was hugely impressive as I recall. I remember him beating 5 or 6 opposition players and then hitting the ball on target. Just the kind of player we could do with now.

Mickey Burns.

Plenty of goals before he joined us and plenty of goals after he left us.

Played 6 times for us, no goals.

No mention of:

"Alan Lee, Lee, Lee
    won't you score a goal for me..."

He had a good song anyway.

You’d be lucky to add them on one finger of a hand

lol! Why didn't someone suggest that at the start?! This would have been a much shorter thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    My recollections of Ronnie Moore was that game after game !we played with 10 players in our half, he in the opposing half stood just in front of the opposing penalty area facing our goal and trying to win one of the many high balls punted forward towards him. Maybe it was a nightmare
    True. And when he wasn't as you described he was galloping out to the wing to collect a lump downfield. Then, once having the ball under his control, had no-one in the penalty area to pass it to.

StT.
    <><

wow i forgot about some of those lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Going down memory lane here's a few from the 60s and 70s

Robin Friday
    Tommy Halliday
    Frank Sharp
    Alan Foggon
    Jack Whitham
    Keith Robson
    Norman Dean (other than the ECWC)
    Derek Showers

Problem is we have a habit of signing too many players past their peak like Robbie Fowler, Ricky ? from Soton, Michael Ricketts, the man who played for Arsenal and England, etc. This type of player often joined in their mid 30s all looking for a final payday swan song.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Derek Showers
    I did think about intermittent Showers but didn't put him in as he was a home grown failure rather than a purchased failure which is what i thought was the basis of the thread. The one thing i would say in his defence is that, compared to Robin Friday, at least Derek Showers turned up and tried.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think a little harsh on Mason and Zohore as they did get vital goals and were sold with good profits despite not being very good.

But yeah most strikers have struggled since DJ left and it's hard to look past our style of play since.
    Maybe but they weren’t the calibre of Chopra, Bothroyd, Earnshaw.

What about Lex Immers

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    What about Lex Immers
    Still playing football (with Breda) not darts!

Please note to all our dyslexic posters his name is ZOHORE!!!!
    On a lighter note I can remember two of Dave Jones’ flops viz. Luigi Glombard and ? Ndumbu-Nsungu

Jason Byrne was brought over with plenty of hype and expectation. The only thing he brought was an 'I was there' moment who saw him.score his only goal.
    He also managed to be kept out of the team by Steve Maclean which in itself is quite an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Please note to all our dyslexic posters his name is ZOHORE!!!!
    On a lighter note I can remember two of Dave Jones’ flops viz. Luigi Glombard and ? Ndumbu-Nsungu
    Again to all our dyslexic posters, Ndumbu-Nsungu’s name is DAVE!!!!!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    Don't ask me why but just gone through a list on Transfermarkt! It's impressive how many strikers have failed (and I think I was being quite generous in my definition of success in some places!)
    Adam Le Fondre
    Federico Macheda
    Andrea Ferretti
    Kenny Miller
    Earnie (2nd time)
    Nicky Maynard
    Warren Feeney
    Eddie Johnson
    Kelvin Etuhu
    JET
    Rudy Gestede
    Steve Thompson
    Javi Guerra
    Jamie Ward
    Bobby Reid
    Isaac Vassell
    Omar Niasse
    Rhys Healey
    Gary MAdine
    Rickie Lambert
    Fred Gounongbe
    Marouane Chamakh
    Tony Watt
    Idriss Saadi
    Eoin Doyle
    Alex Revell
    Odemwinge
    Cornelius
    Kenwyne Jones
    Velikonja
    Jon Parkin
    Andy Keogh
    That list is really quite scary.
    I wonder how much money that lot cost the club all told? A pretty penny I'd bet!!