+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson

Heisenberg

Re: Callum Paterson

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    First of all, Sheff Wed are playing with a six point deduction, so check the table and see where they would be without that. Also they are one of the biggest clubs in the division (ground, squad, fanbase), so it was always likely that they would put a run together and get out of it. With regard to Ralls, I was referring to his performances this season which have been lacklustre to say the least and pointing out that some of Patersons effort and commitment wouldn't go amiss now with players like Ralls and Bacuna. Paterson played in 32 league games (35 in total)in the promotion season and scored 10 goals and if you remember he missed the first two months of the season because he was recovering from the Cruciate injury he had at Hearts. His record therefore stands close comparison with Ralls, who only scored 7 goals, and Paterson in my opinion was therefore also a key part of that side.
    Slagging off Ralls and Bacuna now. Give it a rest you negative bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He absolutely did not. Why make shit up?

Unless you don't know the difference between centre midfield and playing behind the striker?
    He absolutely did. You were obviously not watching - what a surprise !

First of all, Sheff Wed are playing with a six point deduction, so check the table and see where they would be without that. Also they are one of the biggest clubs in the division (ground, squad, fanbase), so it was always likely that they would put a run together and get out of it. With regard to Ralls, I was referring to his performances this season which have been lacklustre to say the least and pointing out that some of Patersons effort and commitment wouldn't go amiss now with players like Ralls and Bacuna. Paterson played in 32 league games (35 in total)in the promotion season and scored 10 goals and if you remember he missed the first two months of the season because he was recovering from the Cruciate injury he had at Hearts. His record therefore stands close comparison with Ralls, who only scored 7 goals, and Paterson in my opinion was therefore also a key part of that side.
    Dry your eyes mate, his fat bottom waddled out of town ages ago.

Heisenberg

He absolutely did. You were obviously not watching - what a surprise !
    He played about 4 games as a right midfielder and less than that in central midfield.

It's not as if you're always biased and wrong, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Excellent description of his play .

I was horrified when I saw he was in the Scotland team. Is this what it has come too I thought.

Good hardworking professional, not a very good football player.
    Most of his caps for Scotland have been at full back haven't they ? Did you see any of the goals he scored for us ? The one away at Brentford in the promotion season sticks in my mind - look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Dry your eyes mate, his fat bottom waddled out of town ages ago.
    All I said is that we could have done with some of his effort and commitment this season. Also, his ‘fat bottom’ played a big part in our promotion, so for that we should all be grateful and not slagging him off continually.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He played about 4 games as a right midfielder and less than that in central midfield.

It's not as if you're always biased and wrong, is it?
    Seeing how you appear to have appointed yourself as god on here, give us a breakdown of exactly where he played in each of the 35 games he played for us in 2017/2018. You haven't got a clue really have you - its all hot air.

Heisenberg

Seeing how you appear to have appointed yourself as god on here, give us a breakdown of exactly where he played in each of the 35 games he played for us in 2017/2018. You haven't got a clue really have you - its all hot air.
    Attacking central midfield for 26 games

Right midfield for 4

Right wing back for 3

Right back for 1

Central midfield for 1

Now prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    if we were serious about being a side challenging for promotion, he was not the answer to any of the questions
    I get why people don't rate Paterson but I don't understand this - he was the top scorer in a side that won automatic promotion 3 years ago (and he was out injured for half that season as well)!

That was also the last time he was used effectively by any of our managers. It's clear that he wasn't - and isn't - a striker. But as an attacking centre midfielder bursting into the box and getting on the end of crosses, he was brilliant. One of those players with a natural knack of being in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately he spent the next two years with his back to goal doing nobody any favors.

I'll also venture that he was the most instinctive finisher we've had here since Chopra.

They'd still be below us. 6 points behind and a worse goal difference. What does the size of their ground have to do with Callum Paterson?

No he doesn't compare to Ralls, as I pointed out Ralls played 1,000 minutes more than Paterson in a set position. They also played completely different roles in that side, so its frankly baffling that you're comparing Paterson and Ralls' goalscoring record as if it proves anything, Paterson played further forward than Ralls. I notice you don't refute that our performances were worse with Paterson in the side, which surely indicates he isn't the answer to our problems?

People on here keep saying a lack of effort is the reason our performances have been the issue this season, it really isn't, the issue is lack of quality, not lack of effort. Ralls has been asked this season to play in roles he's completely unsuited to by the previous manager and his form has suffered as a result. I honestly can't believe some on here think Paterson is a better midfielder than him

Ralls is a much better central midfielder than Patterson.

The way we play Patterson would be a much more effective number 10 though.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Hoilett’s performance the other week was one of the worst I’ve seen in a city shirt
    Then you can't have seen many games.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I get why people don't rate Paterson but I don't understand this - he was the top scorer in a side that won automatic promotion 3 years ago (and he was out injured for half that season as well)!

That was also the last time he was used effectively by any of our managers. It's clear that he wasn't - and isn't - a striker. But as an attacking centre midfielder bursting into the box and getting on the end of crosses, he was brilliant. One of those players with a natural knack of being in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately he spent the next two years with his back to goal doing nobody any favors.

I'll also venture that he was the most instinctive finisher we've had here since Chopra.
    WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    WHAT?
    My sentiments exactly.

Scored again.

Effective

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Scored again.

Effective
    4-1 down but no worries wednesday, future balon d'or winner callum paterson has scrambled in a goal for you

WHAT?
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    My sentiments exactly.
    So earlier I did some research into this to see if I was talking out of my arse or not.

Note: These numbers are all from FBRefs. Unfortunately, shooting data has only been kept from the 2017-18 season onwards (which is of course when Paterson joined us, but it means I can't compare with players like Kenwyne Jones, Kenny Miller, and Federico Macheda (who I would venture would all also have fairly decent finishing stats)). Therefore, I have directly compared Paterson's stats against all other City forwards during that time. I have also disregarded any players who have played less than 1,000 mins for the club as it's too small a data sample to draw any conclusions from (although, interestingly, if we did include those players, Mark Harris would be our most effective finisher with a goals per shots ratio of 0.20, while Bogle has a so).

Anyway, FBRefs measure three key metrics in regard to finishing - goals per shots, goals per shots on target, and shots on target per shots. Since 2017, here are City's numbers:

Mins Gls Sh SoT SoT% G/Sh G/SoT
    Danny Ward 2471 13 78 37 0.47 0.17 0.35
    Kieffer Moore 1858 11 68 24 0.35 0.16 0.46
    Bobby Reid 1677 5 32 9 0.28 0.16 0.56
    Callum Paterson 6756 21 136 44 0.32 0.15 0.48
    Sheyi Ojo 1927 4 28 11 0.39 0.14 0.36
    Robert Glatzel 3147 11 88 38 0.43 0.13 0.29
    Nat Mendez-Laing 5995 14 116 37 0.32 0.12 0.38
    Josh Murphy 4229 11 108 33 0.31 0.10 0.33
    Junior Hoillett 12427 23 230 70 0.30 0.10 0.33
    Lee Tomlin 3198 10 102 37 0.36 0.10 0.27
    Kenneth Zohore 6245 10 114 43 0.38 0.09 0.23
    Harry Wilson 1714 3 43 11 0.26 0.07 0.27
    Gavin Whyte 1791 1 23 5 0.22 0.04 0.20
    Gary Madine 1014 0 20 9 0.45 0.00 0.00

Surprisingly, Danny Ward is actually the best finisher we've had in the last 4 years, which I guess is a whole different discussion to be had. Paterson, meanwhile, may not be "the most instinctive finisher" as I claimed, but is certainly a better finisher than pretty much all our other attacking players in recent years, bar a £10m player who is in the Premier League and Kieffer Moore.

And even then, it's not so clear cut. If you directly compare Paterson and Moore this season:

Callum Paterson 1843 7 28 15 0.54 0.25 0.47

While Kieffer has scored more goals, Paterson hits the target a lot more frequently, and is more clinical. In fact he's been more clinical there than he was in his time at City.

Bottom line: Callum Paterson is a very good finisher.

So earlier I did some research into this to see if I was talking out of my arse or not.

Note: These numbers are all from FBRefs. Unfortunately, shooting data has only been kept from the 2017-18 season onwards (which is of course when Paterson joined us, but it means I can't compare with players like Kenwyne Jones, Kenny Miller, and Federico Macheda (who I would venture would all also have fairly decent finishing stats)). Therefore, I have directly compared Paterson's stats against all other City forwards during that time. I have also disregarded any players who have played less than 1,000 mins for the club as it's too small a data sample to draw any conclusions from (although, interestingly, if we did include those players, Mark Harris would be our most effective finisher with a goals per shots ratio of 0.20, while Bogle has a so).

Anyway, FBRefs measure three key metrics in regard to finishing - goals per shots, goals per shots on target, and shots on target per shots. Since 2017, here are City's numbers:

Surprisingly, Danny Ward is actually the best finisher we've had in the last 4 years, which I guess is a whole different discussion to be had. Paterson, meanwhile, may not be "the most instinctive finisher" as I claimed, but is certainly a better finisher than pretty much all our other attacking players in recent years, bar a £10m player who is in the Premier League and Kieffer Moore.

And even then, it's not so clear cut. If you directly compare Paterson and Moore this season:

While Kieffer has scored more goals, Paterson hits the target a lot more frequently, and is more clinical. In fact he's been more clinical there than he was in his time at City.

Danny Ward came on as a sub, against tired legs, against teams chasing games.

Nothing wrong with him but I never saw anything to suggest we was wrong using him as a supersub.

Paterson's pressing is also undervalued. He got called a headless chicken because no one else bothered to press - if you watched some games in the premier league, they often press man to man. Callum was often left to press a back 4 and goalkeeper on his own.

If you think I’m going to read all of that you’ve wasted your time

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If you think I’m going to read all of that you’ve wasted your time
    Basically it provides factual evidence that Paterson was a good striker for us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It doesn't. But like JR, I can't be arsed getting into it.

It doesn't. But like JR, I can't be arsed getting into it.
    It clearly does

But at least you appear to have read it before coming to the wrong conclusion 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    no it doesn't. he has added paterson's goals from the promotion year and wasn't a striker that year. he's trying to prove that paterson was a good finisher here. as a striker he was dreadful, he had something like 8 goals over the course of two seasons, that's appalling.

also the formatting of that post is a right headache, well done to anyone who has managed to read and understand it

Paterson was shit. Now he's gone. Stop your crying.

Patterson was probably our most sellable assets last summer because I) he regularly makes a positive impact in this league for all the reasons said in this thread and ii) he wasn't going to be in our starting XI or likely to play a big role going forward for all the reasons said in this thread.

He's young so time for him to develop and make this appear a bigger mistake, but as far as we know only one team put in a serious bid and their ambitions were to fight off relegation rather than fight for promotion. That bid made and agreed to was for some people shockingly low.

My one remaining question is whether than bust-up with Bacuna on the pitch had any sway in us looking to sell? I guess we'll always have that time he stole a free-kick Fulham away in the play-offs for falling over at the slightest of contacts which, if memory serves, he initiated. That's not to say he wasn't a loveable character, just that I think he'd stopped doing what had made him good and was ready to move on even if we had wanted to keep him.