+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91

Thread: Callum Paterson

  1. #41

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure why you moan constantly about us playing hoofball, but complain when we sell a player who can only play that way.
    So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

    Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

    I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.

  2. #42

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    When he played on the right we were characterised by time wasting tactics and lumping the ball forward, its no surprise that our excellent early season performances became turgid hoofball affairs once he was introduced on the right.. He was a good nuisance, but he's showed nothing to suggest that he could play the role Ralls did or still does. I was a unclear on that was what I was trying to get at when saying he couldn't play in midfield, but thought it was implied as the person I was replying to specifically mentioned Ralls. By the time we'd sold him, Paterson was almost completely ineffective and having a strop if he was brought off. He's a character and he works hard, but he was almost certainly on good money as one of Warnock's favourites and exactly the kind of player we need to be moving away from if we want to watch football where the ball's on the floor for more than 10 minutes a game

    Lamenting Ralls whilst bigging up Paterson's contributions in the promotion season is a strange one considering Ralls was a key part of that side, starting 37 games and playing the full 90 in all but one, with a hamstring injury the only thing keeping him from playing in the remaining games (coincidentally that spell included that brief wobble against Sheffield United, Wolves & Villa). By contrast, Paterson started 23 games, playing over 1,000 fewer minutes than Ralls. Surely if Paterson was this great midfielder, he'd have played more than the apparently work shy Ralls?

    Also, Paterson's current side are one of the few below us in the table, which surely refutes your point that we wouldn't be languishing where we are if the almighty Callum Paterson were still in the side?
    David Marshall was in a relegated Norwich side when we bought him

  3. #43

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    We would be better off with him, having lost Glatzel.
    Hindsight is wonderful. Paterson wasnt happy being on the bench and he certainly isnt better Moore.

    So hes had a good month. Big deal. I remember we used to get these threads after we let Tom Adeymi go out on loan. How we had made a mistake.etc. The guy hasnt had a club for 2 years.

  4. #44

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

    Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

    I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.

  5. #45

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.
    And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.

  6. #46

    Re: Callum Paterson

    As far as I am concerned he is history. I wish him well for the future and hope he is totally ineffective every time he plays against us.

  7. #47

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    As far as I am concerned he is history. I wish him well for the future and hope he is totally ineffective every time he plays against us.
    Exactly this. Some of our fans have a penchant for pining over really average, ex-players.. which is a bit cringe IMO.

  8. #48

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.
    I said he was one of the reasons, not the only reason.

    Its hardly surprising we are having difficulty changing our style of play when the squad is mainly built in the mould of Neil Warnock.

    It certainly changed for the better when Harris was getting a tune out of Tomlin and Pato was on the bench.

  9. #49

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.
    Excellent description of his play .

    I was horrified when I saw he was in the Scotland team. Is this what it has come too I thought.

    Good hardworking professional, not a very good football player.

  10. #50

    Re: Callum Paterson

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    When he played on the right we were characterised by time wasting tactics and lumping the ball forward, its no surprise that our excellent early season performances became turgid hoofball affairs once he was introduced on the right.. He was a good nuisance, but he's showed nothing to suggest that he could play the role Ralls did or still does. I was a unclear on that was what I was trying to get at when saying he couldn't play in midfield, but thought it was implied as the person I was replying to specifically mentioned Ralls. By the time we'd sold him, Paterson was almost completely ineffective and having a strop if he was brought off. He's a character and he works hard, but he was almost certainly on good money as one of Warnock's favourites and exactly the kind of player we need to be moving away from if we want to watch football where the ball's on the floor for more than 10 minutes a game

    Lamenting Ralls whilst bigging up Paterson's contributions in the promotion season is a strange one considering Ralls was a key part of that side, starting 37 games and playing the full 90 in all but one, with a hamstring injury the only thing keeping him from playing in the remaining games (coincidentally that spell included that brief wobble against Sheffield United, Wolves & Villa). By contrast, Paterson started 23 games, playing over 1,000 fewer minutes than Ralls. Surely if Paterson was this great midfielder, he'd have played more than the apparently work shy Ralls?

    Also, Paterson's current side are one of the few below us in the table, which surely refutes your point that we wouldn't be languishing where we are if the almighty Callum Paterson were still in the side?
    First of all, Sheff Wed are playing with a six point deduction, so check the table and see where they would be without that. Also they are one of the biggest clubs in the division (ground, squad, fanbase), so it was always likely that they would put a run together and get out of it. With regard to Ralls, I was referring to his performances this season which have been lacklustre to say the least and pointing out that some of Patersons effort and commitment wouldn't go amiss now with players like Ralls and Bacuna. Paterson played in 32 league games (35 in total)in the promotion season and scored 10 goals and if you remember he missed the first two months of the season because he was recovering from the Cruciate injury he had at Hearts. His record therefore stands close comparison with Ralls, who only scored 7 goals, and Paterson in my opinion was therefore also a key part of that side.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •