Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
I'm not sure why you moan constantly about us playing hoofball, but complain when we sell a player who can only play that way.
So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.