+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Callum Paterson

Sheffield Wednesday's player of the month for January.

Re: Callum Paterson

Btec Kiefer

Paterson and Moore would have terrorised defences.

Patterson for me was always better playing behind the striker but was certainly capable on the right or through the middle.

Given his age and his versatility think we made a mistake letting him go

Big fan of a lumper up front

Paterson was a good lad who always got stuck in

says more about the standard at sheff wed

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    says more about the standard at sheff wed
    Perhaps he'll be their Young Player Of The Year as well.

Great servant,character , all rounder , does a job , handy on the bench , what's not to like , probably a wage reduction move , if we play a lone striker ,whcih is likely it has to Moore as he has better attributes , miss him though .

Top scorer for a promotion side, versatile, always gave his best for the team, was a bit of a personality and could have cured our right back problem - poor business by us selling him, especially at that price.

If we were going to improve we needed better.

However i wish we had him for the relegation battle ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Top scorer for a promotion side, versatile, always gave his best for the team, was a bit of a personality and could have cured our right back problem - poor business by us selling him, especially at that price.
    I'm not sure why you moan constantly about us playing hoofball, but complain when we sell a player who can only play that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure why you moan constantly about us playing hoofball, but complain when we sell a player who can only play that way.
    So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.

So, he “can only play that way” - how do you know that? Have you seen him playing in a team that doesn’t play long ball? If I was to use such daft reasoning, I’d be saying that we played better football towards the end of last season when Paterson was in our squad than we’ve played this season after he left - therefore, Paterson is a player that helps a team play more football.

Paterson might be better suited to playing a certain way, but, no more so than too many players in our current squad - we’ve got no balance when it comes to positions through the centre of the pitch that can dictate how we play, so we end up playing in the way we do. However all the best sides need a share of grafters to go with their craft and Paterson was among the best of our grafters in 17/18 - it wasn’t his fault either that he got shoved up front in the following season when he was, arguably, more effective than Zohore and Niasse.

I don’t like the way we play the game, but why should that mean that I cannot appreciate someone who might not have been that easy on the eye? Paterson was an effective player for us for most of his time with us and it seems he’s one of Sheffield Wednesday’s most effective players as well.
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Paterson was one of the reasons we couldnt change our style of play. His second touch was usually a tackle. Hes just a battering ram.
    And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.

And we can’t change our style now he’s gone.
    I said he was one of the reasons, not the only reason.

Its hardly surprising we are having difficulty changing our style of play when the squad is mainly built in the mould of Neil Warnock.

It certainly changed for the better when Harris was getting a tune out of Tomlin and Pato was on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Excellent description of his play .

I was horrified when I saw he was in the Scotland team. Is this what it has come too I thought.

Good hardworking professional, not a very good football player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Excellent description of his play .

I was horrified when I saw he was in the Scotland team. Is this what it has come too I thought.

Good hardworking professional, not a very good football player.
    Most of his caps for Scotland have been at full back haven't they ? Did you see any of the goals he scored for us ? The one away at Brentford in the promotion season sticks in my mind - look it up.

I liked Patto, great character and could play in a number of positions, it was all good

BUT

if we were serious about being a side challenging for promotion, he was not the answer to any of the questions

Time to stop lamenting the transfer of an average player.

What is it with Cardiff City fans and triers?

Non, je ne regrette rien.

he would be more than useful now

Its not the time to play our way out of the bottom ten , get stuck in , get some wins and get up the table

Pretty pretty keep ball has its place but let's get to 50 points first

Could have done a job for us in midfield , centre back , right back too

Bad move in letting him go

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Its not the time to play our way out of the bottom ten , get stuck in , get some wins and get up the table

there's a middle ground between the turgid football we've seen for the last 2 years and "pretty pretty keep ball" (a term that really shows your age ). It's a shame we don't have paterson scrambling in some shite goal from a scrappy corner anymore, his 5 goals a season is definitely what we're missing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

like he would have been put in any of those positions

Paterson is a below-average Championship player. Sheffield Wednesday is a below-average Championship team. Who ****ing cares if he's their player of the month?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Paterson is a below-average Championship player. Sheffield Wednesday is a below-average Championship team. Who ****ing cares if he's their player of the month?
    I am in this school.

Very below average hard working football player .

Why are people fixated when an ex player scores a goal or two . We dont send all our ex players to the scrap
    heap. there is a game or two left in some of them .

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Summed up perfectly!