+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen a film or drama being shot ?

Anyone seen a film or drama being shot ?

Was chatting to the missus recently about some old actors when the name Bill Maynard cropped up. Yes, he of Claude Greengrass fame in Heartbeat.

Which brings me to the question in the thread's title. Back in 1990 I got off the bus in the Cardiff Bus Station and walked towards the kiosk on my way to work when I saw a film crew. On closer inspection I saw Charlie Drake in a Panama hat, Bill Maynard and the ex-Welsh international rugby player Ray Gravell. Turns out they were filming a drama called Filipina Dream girls. The film itself is shown in its entirety on You Tube and the scene I happened upon is about 10 minutes in.

Anyone else seen a film or drama being shot ?

Re: Anyone seen a film or drama being shot ?

Got off the train at Queen Street a few years ago, walked up Churchill Way turned the corner onto Queen Street to see Peter Capaldi stood in the doorway of his tardis.
    What became apparent is that filming is a very lengthy process, but he did have time to sign autographs and pose for photos.

I do Background/ support artist work as a side hobby.

Been doing it 10 years now, it is really good fun, meet lots of new people and the money can be very good.

I have been in over 50 films / tv shows now. However never more than a face in the background.

The best job I have done was Transformers 5, I was a solider on board a helicopter crash and we had to fight our way out of the wreckage alongside Mark Whalberg, was 10 days filming (£500) a day, the funny thing is everyone else was a trained stuntman or retired military. ( real guns, using blanks) I realised I had been mixed up, spoke to the stunt coordinator and told him, he laughed took me off to the side and gave me a quick 10 mins run through on how to handle the rifle and let me carry on.

When Ryan and Ronnie were popular..early 70's..bussed into town and was walking past Hayes Island and noticed a crowd had gathered. Sitting on the floor against the toilets was Ryan..dressed as a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Was chatting to the missus recently about some old actors when the name Bill Maynard cropped up. Yes, he of Claude Greengrass fame in Heartbeat.

Which brings me to the question in the thread's title. Back in 1990 I got off the bus in the Cardiff Bus Station and walked towards the kiosk on my way to work when I saw a film crew. On closer inspection I saw Charlie Drake in a Panama hat, Bill Maynard and the ex-Welsh international rugby player Ray Gravell. Turns out they were filming a drama called Filipina Dream girls. The film itself is shown in its entirety on You Tube and the scene I happened upon is about 10 minutes in.

Anyone else seen a film or drama being shot ?
    When I worked at the Allied Steel & Wire Tremorfa plant, they were filming 'A Kiss Before Dying' (released 1991) - starring Hollywood actor Matt Dillon.

They were filming scenes at the mini-mill. I remember they had a huge outside catering truck and masses of equipment. They even used some of the labour from the steelworks as film extras.

They were there filming for about 10 days. After completing the filming they offered to make a monetary contribution to our company, however, our company politely declined their offer and so it was suggested they buy the nearby Willows high school a mini-bus instead, which is what they did.
    On leaving, they presented our HR manageress with a fantastic bouquet of flowers.

When the film was finally released, it turned out that they didn't use any footage from our steel plant, instead, they used footage from Port Talbot steelworks (we had no idea they had filmed there).

Parts of an episode of Torchwood were shot in the house I was brought up in in Whitchurch. During shooting I saw John Barrowman and the crew plus loads of pantechnicons blocking the road.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I do Background/ support artist work as a side hobby.

Been doing it 10 years now, it is really good fun, meet lots of new people and the money can be very good.

I have been in over 50 films / tv shows now. However never more than a face in the background.

The best job I have done was Transformers 5, I was a solider on board a helicopter crash and we had to fight our way out of the wreckage alongside Mark Whalberg, was 10 days filming (£500) a day, the funny thing is everyone else was a trained stuntman or retired military. ( real guns, using blanks) I realised I had been mixed up, spoke to the stunt coordinator and told him, he laughed took me off to the side and gave me a quick 10 mins run through on how to handle the rifle and let me carry on.
    With your username, were you in Dracula as well ? 😊

Before the pandemic a mate of mine put his name down to get into your line of work. Understandably, nothing has been forthcoming since.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Got off the train at Queen Street a few years ago, walked up Churchill Way turned the corner onto Queen Street to see Peter Capaldi stood in the doorway of his tardis.
    What became apparent is that filming is a very lengthy process, but he did have time to sign autographs and pose for photos.
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    When I worked at the Allied Steel & Wire Tremorfa plant, they were filming 'A Kiss Before Dying' (released 1991) - starring Hollywood actor Matt Dillon.

They were filming scenes at the mini-mill. I remember they had a huge outside catering truck and masses of equipment. They even used some of the labour from the steelworks as film extras.

They were there filming for about 10 days. After completing the filming they offered to make a monetary contribution to our company, however, our company politely declined their offer and so it was suggested they buy the nearby Willows high school a mini-bus instead, which is what they did.
    On leaving, they presented our HR manageress with a fantastic bouquet of flowers.

When the film was finally released, it turned out that they didn't use any footage from our steel plant, instead, they used footage from Port Talbot steelworks (we had no idea they had filmed there).
    I was working in the steel works at that time. I don't remember there being an HR Manageress though. Maybe it was Gerald Sheehan's secretary...can't remember her name. The HR manager most of the time I was there was Ieuan Jenkins who was known as the Aber Grabber after strangling his wife while they were on holiday in Canada.

I went to the Star and Garter near Putney Bridge for beer one evening but it was closed because the were filming a scene for Lassiter with Tom Selleck https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087589/

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Who?
    Knock knock

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I was working in the steel works at that time. I don't remember there being an HR Manageress though. Maybe it was Gerald Sheehan's secretary...can't remember her name. The HR manager most of the time I was there was Ieuan Jenkins who was known as the Aber Grabber after strangling his wife while they were on holiday in Canada.
    Yes, you're right. It was indeed the secretary.

In NYC in 2006 saw Reign Over me with Dom Cheadle, Adam Sandler and Liv Tyler being shot. Later that year in San Fran saw Will Smith filming Pursuit of Happiness. In Memphis one year they were filming a film about the assassination of a US president with Alan Alda and had on my pic taken standing at the podium with POTUS written on it.

Was working in Swansea a couple of months back, right by the job a 70s film was being shot, great memories, people in flares, platforms, budgie collared shirts, long greasy hair the lot. We stopped work for a bit to watch and reminisce, fantastic detail, then we twigged, there weren’t any cameras, it was normal, everyday 2020 life. Things you see, eh!

I saw Charles Dance filming on the steps of the Portsmouth Guildhall years ago.

Fine looking bloke, looked like he was made from good stock.

Was passing Talbenny last Feb when they were shooting a scene for the Pembrokeshire Murders and then a few days later i stopped in Little Haven planning to go in the Swan Inn but they were shooting the pub scene and had taken over the pub.
    Did ask if they wanted any extras but was politely declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yes, you're right. It was indeed the secretary.
    Lynne something I think?

The tax offices in Llanishen has seen both Casualty and the second series of War of the Worlds being filmed there in the last few months.

It must have been 1993 (just looked it up) when in Washington DC sightseeing, came across a crowd watching something in front of one of the buildings on the Mall; turned out to be Clint Eastwood and John Malcovich filming 'In the Line of Fire'.

Spent an hour or so waiting for some action but eventually gave up and went on our way

I saw BJ & The Bear being filmed Hollywood in 1981. I bet no one remembers that show��

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I saw BJ & The Bear being filmed Hollywood in 1981. I bet no one remembers that show��
    My mate was nicknamed after that show when we were growing up.

I saw something being filmed in Borough Market in London about ten years ago.

I've no idea what it was but it had the little blonde bloke from Quadrophenia in it.

Also roughly 10 years ago whilst in Paris, I was collared by a team making a documentary about a famous old patisserie that I was coming out of and asked if I could say piece about it so I spoke in French.

I still to this day have no idea what I said...all I know is that it was boarded up the next time I went to visit.

In the mid 90s I was in the north of the Republic of Ireland, I forget the name of the place, with a choir as their pianist. One night, just after midnight, there was terrific gunshot outside the inner courtyard of the hotel we were staying and a man was seen by a few choristers being shot and slumped to the ground.

Clearly terrified inside the hotel, we would soon find out that some TV drama was being filmed outside the hotel and that nobody wanted to say anything for fear that in the background there would be lots of people looking through curtains at the action unfolding!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Gerald Sheehan ended up in the Royal Mint......
    Made millions from there too

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Gerald Sheehan ended up in the Royal Mint......
    Made millions from there too

Yes, I think that was after I left in 1998