+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things you remember as a kid visiting Cardiff Town centre

Things you remember as a kid visiting Cardiff Town centre

Anyone remember that guy with long blonde frizzy hair who used to wheel a big white piano and play it always outside Habitat on Hills Street by the Hayes Island snack bar?

Re: Things you remember as a kid visiting Cardiff Town centre

I also remember as a kid going into a place called Strikes pool hall which was in the entrance to Cardiff Central Market on St Mary Street on the left hand side just before you entered the market and you'd go up a few flights of stairs.
    Had fruit machines, space invaders, and pool and snooker tables.

The thrill of all the lovely food in Pillars.

Shopping at the big tesco they built where primark used to be on the Hayes with your parents

Going to Buffalo Records and Spillers

Buffalo had more heavy rock and metal , spiller was full of students and the staff were odd

There was a little bloke who never served anyone and would just stand by the till

my first chicken curry off the bone and chips from dots Caroline Street

It seems to be a very kaaardiff thing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Going to Buffalo Records and Spillers

Buffalo had more heavy rock and metal , spiller was full of students and the staff were odd

There was a little bloke who never served anyone and would just stand by the till
    Can't remember if it was one of the above shops but there was a sound booth in a record shop in Cardiff that you could go into, put on a pair of headphones and they would put a record on for you. I put on the headphones while they played Easy Living by Uriah Heep and nearly ended up getting thrown out of the shop for singing at the top of my voice. At least I bought the single.

Gingerbread men from the bakery in the market. The Bear Shop. Asteys.

The old reinforced concrete bus-stops in the station.

On a hot Summer's day, drinking from a public hole-in-the-wall drinks fountain near Greyfriars.

Markross store.

Top rank Saturday morning straight into wimpeys for egg burger those were the days didn’t cop on as they might have wanted one aswel

So many. Egg and chips at Astey's. Bag of cockles from the fishmonger at the entrance to Cardiff Market. Faggots and peas upstairs. Also upstairs, buying a goldfish and taking it home in a little plastic bag. Scary stuffed bear. Where was that? A growing awareness, as the years passed, that the Prince of Wales theatre was a naughty place. That cold shower I had to race through before entering the Empire Pool. The old central library — marble everywhere, spiral staircases and gloomy floors. Scary public toilets in The Hayes. Whatever-you-want and chips on Caroline Street. Lears bookstore. Corpus Christi. Watching the Daleks roll down Queen Street. I'm sure I'm forgetting a thousand things.

Trolley buses Ah! jumpers for goalposts - oh and Asteys flakey sausage rolls.

Cashing in Green Shield Stamps in the shop in the old Hayes

Sarsaparilla Bar in the Arcade.

The bustle of Mill Lane market

Froffy coffee & a Wimpy

Proper pubs

Traffic in Castle Street

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I also remember as a kid going into a place called Strikes pool hall which was in the entrance to Cardiff Central Market on St Mary Street on the left hand side just before you entered the market and you'd go up a few flights of stairs.
    Had fruit machines, space invaders, and pool and snooker tables.
    That place was a right dump, went there a few times always seemed to have Rasta’s in there smoking weed.....

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    The thrill of all the lovely food in Pillars.
    Yes loved me some food from that place.

Visiting James Howells toy store which was then in the basement and visiting Santa's grotto that you thought was actually moving as you sat down on a pretend sleigh with reindeers until you supposedly arrived at his grotto.

Going in a lift in David Morgan store and an elderly gentleman would be sat on a built in chair asking which floor you'd like to go to and he would press the button.
    That was an actual job back then

If I went into town with my parents my father would insist on eating in The Louis every single time. Creature of habit. You’d swear it was The Ritz the way he talked about the place.

As a young kid always getting dragged around Howells and David Morgan’s although the Toy department in one of them did a decent range of Star Wars toys that kept me and my brother quiet.

As a pre teen/teenager venturing about on my own Olympus Sports.

Cardiff is much more pleasing on the eye than it was in the 70s/80s from my memory.

There was a pub on Queen Street, Taff Bar? My dad would sneak in when parenting for me and my brother. When I got to the age of being to be able to go in there it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If I went into town with my parents my father would insist on eating in The Louis every single time. Creature of habit. You’d swear it was The Ritz the way he talked about the place.

Must be a Valleys thing my Nan was the same

My sister was a big fan of The Louis as well.

Old tramps, usually with a load of dogs......

Black folk....There was no one of African decent in Merthyr in the 60s that I ever seen.

Pick n Mix in Woolworths.
    The restaurant in Littlewoods overlooking the shop where you could get a 5-item cooked breakfast for 80p or a 7 item mega for £1.
    Traffic on Queen Street.
    A grotto like clothes shop called 2007
    A games arcade, I think in Castle Arcade
    Buying darts flights from a little shop on Caroline Street but really having a sneak at the adult videos at the back of the shop