+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trumps defence team

Trumps defence team

Reminds me of a Tony Hancock scene.
    As a solicitor he gets a defendant sent down..
    He sits down and says to his assistant that was a good result.
    His assistant says no you were supposed to be representing him

Re: Trumps defence team

It was quite ridiculous but won't make any difference. He's getting off.

I don't even know why they even bothered with a defence. There's no way the Republican party will vote to convict.

It's important the Dems do their job though (excellent today btw) for a number of reasons:

- Trump is guilty as charged and simply can't be allowed to walk away as if nothing happened;
    - possibility criminal charges will follow even should this impeachment not succeed;
    - will reveal once again how poor the Republicans are: protecting themselves (against possible de-selection in their own constituencies) instead of defending the Constitution and upholding their own personal oath to follow the evidence and convict an authoritarian who was willing to go to any lengths to hang on to power.

If the vote at the end of this trial was secret, it would produce a conviction in the region of 90 to 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    It's important the Dems do their job though (excellent today btw) for a number of reasons:

- Trump is guilty as charged and simply can't be allowed to walk away as if nothing happened;
    - possibility criminal charges will follow even should this impeachment not succeed;
    - will reveal once again how poor the Republicans are: protecting themselves (against possible de-selection in their own constituencies) instead of defending the Constitution and upholding their own personal oath to follow the evidence and convict an authoritarian who was willing to go to any lengths to hang on to power.

If the vote at the end of this trial was secret, it would produce a conviction in the region of 90 to 10
    I think Republicans are banking on everyone forgetting this by November 2022. A few of them could've in for a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

I agree with all that.

While Trump will likely not be convicted, I think this needs to be a documented historic moment that he was impeached, regardless of a conviction. As importantly, the republicans who won't vote to convict, despite what appears to be turning into an extremely strong case against him and incredibly weak (incompetence) defence, are all recorded in history as the people who abdicated their constitutional responsibility and allowed a President to get away with causing an insurrection.

The trick for the democrats and media is to ensure that no one forgets and that campaign money in those districts and states of trump cultists hammers it home in 2022 and 2024. These are traitors.

And yes, if there was a secret vote then he would be charged.

I felt a bit sad watching yesterday.. sad that despite how awfully toxic the US is, it is still far far better than the UK. The Tories can murder people in the streets and people will still vote for them, maybe because they murder people in the streets. Also, it reminded me that despite the democrats usually being a puddle of piss, how utterly useless the opposition and media are in the UK. Years ago, this level of corruption and incompetence in a ruling party would have resulted in the media and opposition crucifying them, public inquiries and resignations. But it seems the British public, English public in particular, are blindly following Johnson and the Tories like the 74million who voted for Trump.

Two American intellectuals on tv in Australia this evening, (both seemed quite sensible and grounded),
    Suggested in all seriousness that they are headed for another civil war!!
    The opposing sides are so far apart and have no respect for one another.
    Very sad and very worrying.