+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If Smithies is ruled out for a while, who will be our sub keeper?

If Smithies is ruled out for a while, who will be our sub keeper?

Presumably George Ratcliffe, unless we get Brian Murphy out of his retirement home

Re: If Smithies is ruled out for a while, who will be our sub keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Presumably George Ratcliffe, unless we get Brian Murphy out of his retirement home
    Recall Day? 😢

Forgot about him

Think he’ll be okay!

We'll be able to get Alisson on an emergency loan after today.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Hopefully MM will have George on the bench as his reserve keeper. If he doesn’t think he’s ready he can recall Joe Day or loan a keeper! It’s one position you can loan at any time so there’s no need to carry three Senior keepers as Warnock did! Forget his mate Murphy!

Isn’t Andy dibble still at the club?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    You gotta just love Top Cat

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Alisson could kick himself after this evening's performance. Except that he would miss.

Unfortunately we let Paterson go.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Yes and I think he thought he might be getting a game in the second half yesterday the length of time he kept his gloves on 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    These goalkeepers who think they are a Pele, Jairzinho or Rivelino make me laugh. Imagine what Jimmy Scoular would have made of the events at Anfield today.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    These goalkeepers who think they are a Pele, Jairzinho or Rivelino make me laugh. Imagine what Jimmy Scoular would have made of the events at Anfield today.

StT.
    <><
    Yeah wonder what a second division manager would have made of one of the best keepers in the world and recent league winner having a shit show

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah wonder what a second division manager would have made of one of the best keepers in the world and recent league winner having a shit show
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't goalkeepers there to prevent the ball from going in the net and not gifting the opposition with opportunities like today? Yes, he's a fine goalkeeper, but he would be even better if he didn't do what he did today.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Unfortunately we let Paterson go.
    😂😂

Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't goalkeepers there to prevent the ball from going in the net and not gifting the opposition with opportunities like today? Yes, he's a fine goalkeeper, but he would be even better if he didn't do what he did today.

StT.
    <><
    I don’t get your point are you saying you can only be a great keeper if you never have an off day? What has Scoular got to do with any of it?

StT.
    <><
    Surely it's the manager asking them to be ball-players, rather than goal-keepers? The guy was only doing what he was told to do, just not very well! Not every side does that 'play it out from the back' business when it comes to goal kicks. The number of times teams have been caught out, you'd have thought they'd have given up on it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Surely it's the manager asking them to be ball-players, rather than goal-keepers? The guy was only doing what he was told to do, just not very well! Not every side does that 'play it out from the back' business when it comes to goal kicks. The number of times teams have been caught out, you'd have thought they'd have given up on it by now.
    The philosophy is that if you want to get at a defence with numbers where four opposing attacking players are pressing high up the field then a ball-playing goalkeeper needs to be part of the system. When it goes wrong like yesterday it looks horrible but it is risk reward where managers back players and shoulder responsibility.

You don't have to go back to Scoular to see alternative approaches. Warnock teams don't play from the back, though the thought of Etheridge playing a 20 yard ball to Morrison to swivel on the half turn to free the advancing Peltier does suggest that this was probably wise.

StT.
    <><
    Watching this geezer might be able to give you a definitive answer to your question.

Quite probably the reason that FIFA changed the ruling on the keeper picking the ball up from a back pass.

https://youtu.be/p-flTPSSvCw

Granted he was a bit extreme, and it's incredible to see some of his in-play decisions, especially as a teammate was assassinated for a footballing mistake.

Legend!