+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Super Bowl

Super Bowl

Anyone watching?

I remember the first one I saw "live". Bears/Patriots 1986. At a mate's flat in Cathays. We bought a case of Bud and a bottle of Jack. I couldn't believe how slow it was. And that there were adverts right after kick-off. I'd been used to Channel 4's fast-paced highlights show on Sunday evenings. I'm pretty sure we ran out of booze before the 4th quarter. (there were three of us)

Anyway, tonight I'm a guaranteed $275 winner for a $10 stake. A bookie was offering 55/1 odds on either team with a maximum $5 stake for new accounts so I opened one for me and the Mrs and bet on both teams.

I fancy Brady (who I, and everyone else strangely seem to not mind thee days) to engineer a win. Although, I don't really care as long as it's a good game.

This will be the first one I've watched without friends or (extended) family in as long as I can remember. I've promised myself that next year I will throw down. New TV, good food and plenty of booze. I'll take the Monday off.

Re: Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Anyone watching?

I remember the first one I saw "live". Bears/Patriots 1986. At a mate's flat in Cathays. We bought a case of Bud and a bottle of Jack. I couldn't believe how slow it was. And that there were adverts right after kick-off. I'd been used to Channel 4's fast-paced highlights show on Sunday evenings. I'm pretty sure we ran out of booze before the 4th quarter. (there were three of us)

Anyway, tonight I'm a guaranteed $275 winner for a $10 stake. A bookie was offering 55/1 odds on either team with a maximum $5 stake for new accounts so I opened one for me and the Mrs and bet on both teams.

I fancy Brady (who I, and everyone else strangely seem to not mind thee days) to engineer a win. Although, I don't really care as long as it's a good game.

This will be the first one I've watched without friends or (extended) family in as long as I can remember. I've promised myself that next year I will throw down. New TV, good food and plenty of booze. I'll take the Monday off.
    I don't follow American football but have friends who do .

When we were younger san Francisco and green Bay packers seemed to be the teams ?

I'm going to start to watch it but I know I will fall asleep.

I shall record it and more than likely watch it tomorrow (fast forwarding the many stoppages in between) hoping to steer clear of the result.

43 year old Tom Brady playing his 10th super bowl over 2 decades. Amazing!

I’ve got Chiefs win, Mahomes and Fournette anytime TD 16/1

Also think fournette will get 100+ rushing but can’t see passed a chiefs win

Two amazing QB's

I see there's a 30K crowd at the game. Is Covid not an issue because it's the Super Bowl?

Too close to call and looking forward to this one. Seems like you're not allowed to kneel during the anthem but can turn the actual song itself into a show tune.

I'd imagine that there'll be a few thousand arrogant Americans in the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Too close to call and looking forward to this one. Seems like you're not allowed to kneel during the anthem but can turn the actual song itself into a show tune.
    It's OK to show people being shot at close range on American TV but the sight of a nipple is considered obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's OK to show people being shot at close range on American TV but the sight of a nipple is considered obscene.
    What is wrong with seeing people close up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    I’ve got Chiefs win, Mahomes and Fournette anytime TD 16/1

Also think fournette will get 100+ rushing but can’t see passed a chiefs win
    Did you have money on Fournette getting the 100? I couldn't find the bet. There was just an over/under of 46 for nothing odds.

Anyone watching?

I'm watching.

Can't believe how easy this is going for TB.

Anyone watching?

Just me and the wife watching. Love your idea of going all out next year. Didn’t expect the Bucs to lock them down so we’ll. Looks like it’s already too big a gap at 28-9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Two amazing QB's

I see there's a 30K crowd at the game. Is Covid not an issue because it's the Super Bowl?
    It's Florida. A bunch of hillbillies that make their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm watching.

Can't believe how easy this is going for TB.
    2 GOATs 1 team.

Did you have money on Fournette getting the 100? I couldn't find the bet. There was just an over/under of 46 for nothing odds.
    Yeah same, didn’t back it.
    I could find odds included with him winning MVP or 2 TD’s etc but didn’t fancy that, might bite me on the ass now especially the TD one.

I remember attending my first ever game at Wembley in '86 - Bears Vs Cowboys. It was a sellout; I'd managed to get my tickets as a coach/hotel/ticket package deal from the South Wales Echo.

Then in 2001 (just a few months after 9/11) I saw the Detroit Lions Vs Bears game at the old Silverdome.

I also played the game myself for a couple of seasons (corner-back). Just before I joined the Cardiff Tigers, they were generously sponsored by a Bridgend business, 'Alignrite'. This enabled them to sign 3 Americans... Steve David, Clancy Barone and Steve Pisarkiewicz.

Pisarkiewicz was an ex-NFL quarterback with the Cardinals and the Green Bay Packers. At that time, he was in his mid 30's and in receipt of an NFL pension.
    One day in training, he threw the ball to one of the receivers with such velocity (it was a leather ball with laces) that the wide-receiver had to later have butterfly stitches to his hand (he later made sure he wore gloves at all times!).

Tampa first team to win it in their home stadium I believe.....nice

on too late for me - but I watch the highlights today - Glad about the result though

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I also played the game myself for a couple of seasons (corner-back). Just before I joined the Cardiff Tigers, they were generously sponsored by a Bridgend business, 'Alignrite'. This enabled them to sign 3 Americans... Steve David, Clancy Barone and Steve Pisarkiewicz.

Pisarkiewicz was an ex-NFL quarterback with the Cardinals and the Green Bay Packers. At that time, he was in his mid 30's and in receipt of an NFL pension.
    One day in training, he threw the ball to one of the receivers with such velocity (it was a leather ball with laces) that the wide-receiver had to later have butterfly stitches to his hand (he later made sure he wore gloves at all times!).
    I was a founder member of the Manx Comets back in 1985 (Year of Haley’s comet). Football in winter, gridiron in summer. The team was made up local rugby players. We played in the North West conference, covering Cheshire & Merseyside, so Wigan, Warrington, Chester, Runcorn etc. First season we went 2-14. In the summer before the 2nd season we were training & a guy walked over and was shocked that we were playing. He was a Canadian diver, who worked on the gas rigs in Morecombe bay, they went to the Island to avoid Uk tax. He was a college QB and threw the ball 50-60 yards no problem. The following weeks he brought his mates along, all Canadian or US college players. That season we went 15-1 & lost in the playoff semi final. The only side to beat us were Wigan Wolves aka Wigan St Patrick the UKs #1 amateur Rugby League side. I played Tight End & Free Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I was a founder member of the Manx Comets back in 1985 (Year of Haley’s comet). Football in winter, gridiron in summer. The team was made up local rugby players. We played in the North West conference, covering Cheshire & Merseyside, so Wigan, Warrington, Chester, Runcorn etc. First season we went 2-14. In the summer before the 2nd season we were training & a guy walked over and was shocked that we were playing. He was a Canadian diver, who worked on the gas rigs in Morecombe bay, they went to the Island to avoid Uk tax. He was a college QB and threw the ball 50-60 yards no problem. The following weeks he brought his mates along, all Canadian or US college players. That season we went 15-1 & lost in the playoff semi final. The only side to beat us were Wigan Wolves aka Wigan St Patrick the UKs #1 amateur Rugby League side. I played Tight End & Free Safety
    We had a young Canadian with us too (Steve Gordon) . He was really a nice kid and played the game for the enjoyment, like the rest of us.
    The three Americans we had were different gravy. Steve David, in particular, was an animal! He was an all-American standout in College football and had the presentation ring to show for it. I don't know if he was taking steroids or anything, but he was muscular and unbelievably aggressive on the pitch. He couldn't tolerate anyone who didn't understand what they were supposed to be doing during plays (which was a lot of us, as we were coming to grips with the rules! ). The only reason he never got drafted was probably due to his height - he was about 5ft 11"... for a linebacker that's far too small. Nevertheless, I admired him, he couldn't be intimidated, he was immensely dedicated and perhaps surprisingly, softly spoken off the pitch.