+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great win by England cricket team.

Great win by England cricket team.

All that weird blocking towards the of their second innings counted for nothing as they bowled India out for less than two hundred. It was supposed to be all about the spinneres, but the decisive over was bowled by the amazing thirty eight year old Jimmy Anderson who it seems is getting better with age.- two bowled and a very, very close LBW.

Re: Great win by England cricket team.

Yes. Winning away in India is a brilliant result. Theyve performed superbly apart from the tactics they employed after Pope was out.

First Team

A rare win out there and that one over from Anderson was right up with anything I have seen. Too old and can’t bowl away from the cloudy and damp north!!!

Note of caution in that the Indian team got smashed by the Aussies in the first test but came back to win the series. I wouldn’t bet against them being an entirely different unit next game up.

It goes to show that winning the toss can often be a match winner.Flat batting pitch on the first day but it soon deteriorated to the extent that India were never gonna get a big score.

I never know where I am with the England cricket team. every time I get it in my head that they're a really good side they go and suffer a spectacular collapse somewhere.
    as such, watch out for the next test

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All that weird blocking towards the of their second innings counted for nothing as they bowled India out for less than two hundred. It was supposed to be all about the spinneres, but the decisive over was bowled by the amazing thirty eight year old Jimmy Anderson who it seems is getting better with age.- two bowled and a very, very close LBW.
    Playing cricket in the sub continent was all about 200 runs in a day and 100 overs of slight spin on bone hard pitches, with a draw the likeliest outcome. Seems even India have given up on Test Cricket, just like the rest of them..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Playing cricket in the sub continent was all about 200 runs in a day and 100 overs of slight spin on bone hard pitches, with a draw the likeliest outcome. Seems even India have given up on Test Cricket, just like the rest of them..
    India have just come from a series win in Australia, and i would say are the best test team in the world at the moment.

I would say India are coming from the biggest change in conditions from wickets in Austrialia, compared to England who have been playing tests in Sri Lanka. India will re adjust quickly with it being their home conditions.

I would say that traditional Indian wickets do not suit India as much these days as they have a decent pace bowling attack, as demonstrated in Australia.

Winning the toss in India for the away side is vital.

Win it post 500 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Winning the toss in India for the away side is vital.

Win it post 500 plus.
    Yes it is important, but many an England team have lost in India after winning the toss, and you would have to say this teams batting in tests is pretty reliant on Joe Root.

Given the margin of victory, I don't think England's win can be solely put down to them winning the toss. Root isn't always going to be in such brilliant form, but although Sibley is not a pleasing batsman to watch, he finds a way to be effective even when he's had the sort of problems he had initially with the spinners in Sri Lanka and while Crawley has not scored many runs since, getting a two hundred and sixty against a good bowling side so early in his test career suggests he can become a very good player at test level. A year or two ago, England's batting looked iffy, but I'm not wholly convinced by either spinner and, it's stating the obvious, but they aren't half going to miss Anderson and Broad when they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given the margin of victory, I don't think England's win can be solely put down to them winning the toss. Root isn't always going to be in such brilliant form, but although Sibley is not a pleasing batsman to watch, he finds a way to be effective even when he's had the sort of problems he had initially with the spinners in Sri Lanka and while Crawley has not scored many runs since, getting a two hundred and sixty against a good bowling side so early in his test career suggests he can become a very good player at test level. A year or two ago, England's batting looked iffy, but I'm not wholly convinced by either spinner and, it's stating the obvious, but they aren't half going to miss Anderson and Broad when they retire.
    Agree with this.

England are not totally reliant on Root , Stokes is now a world class batsman in his own right. Ollie Pope looks an exciting prospect as well and I think will develop into a top player as well. Im not completely convinced on Sibley and Roy but both deserve their place and are doing ok and Crawley looks talented as well.

Anderson and Broad will be a big miss.

Australia coming up though and I think England need at least 1 of Stone and Wood in the side along with Archer. Need that extra pace out there.

Looking forward to seeing Foulkes back in the side for the next test as well.

Agree with this.

England are not totally reliant on Root , Stokes is now a world class batsman in his own right. Ollie Pope looks an exciting prospect as well and I think will develop into a top player as well. Im not completely convinced on Sibley and Roy but both deserve their place and are doing ok and Crawley looks talented as well.

Australia coming up though and I think England need at least 1 of Stone and Wood in the side along with Archer. Need that extra pace out there.

There is too many whats ifs and buts in there, at the moment, I will agree that it seems promising but we are still going to see a collapse when the big 2 do not fire, whilst the others are establishing themselves.

England are currently a team that could develop, whereas India and Australia seem a little bit further down the line.

Agree with this.

Roy? Surely he's done at test level? Do you mean Burns?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Roy? Surely he's done at test level? Do you mean Burns?
    Yes sorry. Burns.

Cricket is bloody brilliant, isn't it? There is so much going on, even when it looks like there is nothing much going on. I am gutted I missed the Anderson over. I watched the superbowl on Sunday night so had no plans to stay up/get up for the cricket last night. But the baby woke at 3.30am and by the time I put him down, I did think about sticking the telly on but decided against it. Mistake.

And while it is a great win - that is just the first battle. We've got weeks of it left! It must be mentally exhausting for the players, in particular in the current environment. It is such a pity that the test matches this summer was not free to air as I think they really missed a chance to build a new audience when it was the only show in town.

Cricket is bloody brilliant, isn't it? There is so much going on, even when it looks like there is nothing much going on. I am gutted I missed the Anderson over. I watched the superbowl on Sunday night so had no plans to stay up/get up for the cricket last night. But the baby woke at 3.30am and by the time I put him down, I did think about sticking the telly on but decided against it. Mistake.

And while it is a great win - that is just the first battle. We've got weeks of it left! It must be mentally exhausting for the players, in particular in the current environment. It is such a pity that the test matches this summer was not free to air as I think they really missed a chance to build a new audience when it was the only show in town.
    I cancelled Sky Sports yesterday so unless I get a better deal I will be without it for the 1st time in about 30 years in March.

As soon as I saw the cricket was on CH4 and Sky have Povetkin v Whyte on PPV it was time to tell them to stuff it.

Unless I've missed it Channel 4 hasn't even bothered to put together a highlights programme so those of us who go to work have no chance to see any of this great performance except on news clips.

The coverage is pathetic; during reviews you get pictures of the players having a chat.

Bring back Sky for goodness' sake.

Ashwin showed yesterday what he can do on a wearing pitch, and I'm sure hell do it again, but at a time when it has an effect on the game.
    Worth noting aswell that the 3rd test (Feb 24th) is a day/night game, so each days play starts at 9.00am UK time instead of 4.00am.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Unless I've missed it Channel 4 hasn't even bothered to put together a highlights programme so those of us who go to work have no chance to see any of this great performance except on news clips.

The coverage is pathetic; during reviews you get pictures of the players having a chat.

Bring back Sky for goodness' sake.
    The highlights are on All 4.

Sky's cricket coverage is absolutely fantastic though, the benchmark for sport. It is soooooo much better than any football coverage.

One of the best wins of all time, for England. India have won 34 of their last 35 tests at home before that. 12 of them were by an innings, including their last 4 tests. He'd probably drive me nuts if he played for us but I cannot help but love Pant. I really hope they don't try to rein him in and just accept that sometimes he's going to win you the game, and sometimes he will get out cheaply.

I watched a fair bit, and too often Archer was bowling low/mid 80s etc. They need to figure out what they're doing with him, its absolutely pointless him doing that. They need hm bowling at 90mph spells, even if it just in short bursts. That's what the Aussies used to do with Johnson.

Highlights are available via https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...ndia-v-england

Incredible win

Its worth noting Sky will not be showing England's away trips to W indies or New Zealand , think BT has them , Sky backing off ??

The Sky cricket coverage is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The highlights are on All 4.

Sky's cricket coverage is absolutely fantastic though, the benchmark for sport. It is soooooo much better than any football coverage.

One of the best wins of all time, for England. India have won 34 of their last 35 tests at home before that. 12 of them were by an innings, including their last 4 tests. He'd probably drive me nuts if he played for us but I cannot help but love Pant. I really hope they don't try to rein him in and just accept that sometimes he's going to win you the game, and sometimes he will get out cheaply.

I watched a fair bit, and too often Archer was bowling low/mid 80s etc. They need to figure out what they're doing with him, its absolutely pointless him doing that. They need hm bowling at 90mph spells, even if it just in short bursts. That's what the Aussies used to do with Johnson.
    Thnaks very much, I had indeed missed it.

That is one of the best test victories by an England side in my lifetime. But if Dom Bess is a test bowler then there’s hope for us all. It doesn’t say much for the counties if there isn’t a better off spinner than him. He really has got a golden arm but he wouldn’t have been playing county cricket 15 years ago leave alone test cricket. But congratulations to Joe Root and the England team that was one hell of a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    That is one of the best test victories by an England side in my lifetime. But if Dom Bess is a test bowler then there’s hope for us all. It doesn’t say much for the counties if there isn’t a better off spinner than him. He really has got a golden arm but he wouldn’t have been playing county cricket 15 years ago leave alone test cricket. But congratulations to Joe Root and the England team that was one hell of a win.
    Totally agree on bess and I'm not convinced on leach either - as a left armer doesn't pose enough threat and lacks rhytymn and consistency. Maybe that is why Root didn't declare when others said he should so it was enough of a carrot for India to chase but knowing he had enough overs to get them out.

Cook called the win in the second session yesterday and for me Root didn't do much wrong in this test

Personally great to see the India win in Australia West indies chase down a huge total and now this - means test cricket keeps going as the best form of cricket 👍🏏

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Totally agree on bess and I'm not convinced on leach either - as a left armer doesn't pose enough threat and lacks rhytymn and consistency. Maybe that is why Root didn't declare when others said he should so it was enough of a carrot for India to chase but knowing he had enough overs to get them out.

Cook called the win in the second session yesterday and for me Root didn't do much wrong in this test

Personally great to see the India win in Australia West indies chase down a huge total and now this - means test cricket keeps going as the best form of cricket ����
    I saw Shaun Udal, a spinner who didn't spin the ball, win a test match for us in Mumbai on the last afternoon.

English spinners must dream of Indian wickets.