+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: First 4 games

First 4 games

I think we'd all agree that 8 points from McCarthy's first 4 games is a very decent start. It appears he is turning things around after what had been an underachieving season. I thought I'd have a look and see how McCarthy's opening 4 games rank with other City managers.

Scoular - 3 draws and a defeat. In fact, Scoular didn't win any of his first 12 games as manager.
    O'Farrell - 2 wins, a draw and a defeat.
    Andrews - 1 draw and 3 defeats.
    Morgan - 1 draw and 3 defeats.
    Ashurst (first spell) - 1 win, 1 draw, 2 defeats.
    Durban - 1 win, 3 defeats.
    Burrows (first spell) - 2 wins, 2 draws.
    Ashurst (second spell) - 2 draws, 2 defeats.
    May (first spell) - 1 win, 1 draw, 2 defeats.
    Hibbitt - 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat.
    Neal - 1 win, 3 defeats.
    Osman - 3 wins, 1 defeat.
    Burrows (second spell) - 1 win, 3 draws.
    Ayre - 3 draws, 1 defeat.
    Gould - 4 draws.
    Cork - 2 wins, 2 draws.
    Lawrence - 3 wins, 1 draw.
    Jones - 1 win, 3 defeats.
    Mackay - 3 wins, 1 defeat.
    Solskjaer - 2 wins, 2 defeats.
    Slade - 3 wins, 1 defeat.
    Trollope - 1 win, 1 draw, 2 defeats.
    Warnock - 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat.
    Harris - 3 wins, 1 draw.
    McCarthy - 2 wins, 2 draws.

Clearly there's not that much correlation between how well a manager does compared with how he did in his first 4 games, but I think it's an interesting list nonetheless.

Re: First 4 games

Oh no I hope he's not going to be like another Cork

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Oh no I hope he's not going to be like another Cork
    In fairness, he got us promoted, scoring close to 100 goals in a season and being unbeaten all season at home. We were inconsistent in his second season yet still beat Leeds in the FA cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In fairness, he got us promoted, scoring close to 100 goals in a season and being unbeaten all season at home. We were inconsistent in his second season yet still beat Leeds in the FA cup.
    Yeh I am being a little harsh I know

Not as good a start as Harris then

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Yeh I am being a little harsh I know
    You’re not being that harsh the squad was far better than the league it was playing in. Even Russell Slade might have got that side promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Looks like Mick is favourite to get a longer contract at the end of the season ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Looks like Mick is favourite to get a longer contract at the end of the season ?
    Is Mick the answer long term? I don’t think so. Club needs to learn from the Warnock experience.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You’re not being that harsh the squad was far better than the league it was playing in. Even Russell Slade might have got that side promoted.
    Yeh it was the start of Sam's spending spree

Is Mick the answer long term? I don’t think so. Club needs to learn from the Warnock experience.
    I agree but it could be a very easy option for the board, and one simple out they will probably take

Exactly!
    We don't want to get promoted to the Premier League do we ?
    Much a better to try and play attractive football and bring in loads of local youngsters, even if it's in league two!

If a manager does well he deserves a contract .

Can't see the club changing its immediate future planning in personal and recruitment, if he gets in sniffing distance of play offs he will get a contract.

I belive he is a more sophisticated version of Warnock ,straighter talker, not so reliant on the blame culture , arguably has a better top flight record with good experiences at an international level .

His back team with Terry Connor specifically is also a better option than Warnock's.

Sack him now and get Osman in for four games, then have Slade back.